CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=155)
-   -   No 4 cylinder for the 6th Gen Camaro. (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=329009)

2010-1SS-IBM 11-23-2013 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fenderaddict2 (Post 7208064)
So again, just so I'm clear, those who bought a V6 Camaro (or V6 Mustang, for that matter) should have bough a Camry instead because the Camaro is a Musclecar, and if you don't want a Camaro Musclecar, you have no right to buy one?!?!!?

Why do you keep bringing the V6 into this? No one is arguing against the V6, however a TTI4 is actually a threat to a V6, so if anyone is against a V6 it's the 4 cylinder fans. Also, does anyone even know if the 4 cylinder actually has better gas mileage than the V6 in the same car? I'd be willing to bet it doesn't.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fenderaddict2 (Post 7208064)
Mustang II was a sales success BTW. And the Mustang has never stopped production, and Ford was able to find private joey rather than turn to a Government for a bailout, so I'm quite sure they know what people want. I will give it to GM for being the world's largest automaker, but compare the range of offerings required to hold that position. I rather GM make more money, than sell more volume. I'd like to see both GM and Ford continue to do we'll, and I feel the anti $ bias is short-sighted and damaging to the future of the cars we love. There should laws be a V8 option, but without volume there will be no option at all.

You contradict yourself here. The Mustang II was a sales success, but GM gets knocked for having too many offerings? You'd like GM to put profits over volume, and yet you're arguing for a 4 cylinder car specifically for volume. You should listen to yourself.

GM needs to sell cars people want to buy. They don't have to reinvent the wheel.

2010-1SS-IBM 11-23-2013 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NVmyZL1 (Post 7210115)
You're likely to see several 4banger Mustangs in the coming years, so you might want to stock up on Depends. What's funny though, is that you're very likely to also see those turbo 4's putting the smack down on older V6 and possibly V8 Camaros and Mustangs.

Definitely older V8 Mustangs, anyway.

Normagene 11-23-2013 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2010-1SS-IBM (Post 7210340)
Definitely older V8 Mustangs, anyway.

Was watching an episode of Top Gear/BBC, and they dyno'd an old 350...... Then had to paint over the 350 because it was no longer even close. HP drops quickly w/age.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Normagene 11-23-2013 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NVmyZL1 (Post 7210115)
You're likely to see several 4banger Mustangs in the coming years, so you might want to stock up on Depends. What's funny though, is that you're very likely to also see those turbo 4's putting the smack down on older V6 and possibly V8 Camaros and Mustangs.

That is probably most likely, turbo charged adds some zip, but it's still a four banger. Americans are known world wide for being LOUD, Arrogant, Aggressive, and Obnoxious! V-8s are like Apple Pie! Like driving a Harley, LOUD and mostly used to putt-putt around. It's not about if you're feeling good, it's all about as long as you're looking good!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The_Blur 11-23-2013 06:56 PM

I still don't believe this whole thread.

Even if you guys want to argue about whether it will sell, I don't see Al making a statement so definitive about a product this early.

Also, why hasn't the automotive press picked this up? I don't see Jalopnik, Left Lane, Auto Week, Motor Trend, or anyone else posting stories about this and making a big deal.

Basically, what I want is proof. Show me some. :thanks:

Mr. Wyndham 11-23-2013 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NVmyZL1 (Post 7211159)
They haven't picked up on it, because he never specifically mention anything regarding a 4 cylinder engine, let alone one in a Camaro. Besides, this thread is no longer about that topic anyway.

That's not quite how it works.....:rolleyes:

Let's try and stay on topic: that is - the author's baseless assumption that there will be no four cylinder in the next-gen Camaro.

Sounds like wishful thinking on his part - and he attempted to make his own dreams come true by misusing Mr. Oppenheiser's comments on another topic.

Angrybird 12 11-23-2013 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham (Post 7211169)
That's not quite how it works.....:rolleyes:

Let's try and stay on topic: that is - the author's baseless assumption that there will be no four cylinder in the next-gen Camaro.

Sounds like wishful thinking on his part - and he attempted to make his own dreams come true by misusing Mr. Oppenheiser's comments on another topic.

Well he did say this.
Quote:

He also added that downsizing the car or the engine too much will stray too far from what the Camaro is all about, and make people question whether the car should continue on.

“We’ve established what the Camaro is. And if the Camaro ceases to become a Camaro, you’ve got to consider, do you take Camaro out in the future.”

The_Blur 11-23-2013 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NVmyZL1 (Post 7211159)
They haven't picked up on it, because he never specifically mention anything regarding a 4 cylinder engine, let alone one in a Camaro. Besides, this thread is no longer about that topic anyway.

I know the topic has changed, but the core of this whole thread is built on calling out the chief engineer of our favorite car. His name is now associated with the idea that no 4-cylinder Camaro is planned. That's fine if it turns out to be true. If it's wrong, however, someone's going to call him a liar, and that's not okay.

Mr. Wyndham 11-23-2013 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 (Post 7211177)
Well he did say this.

I understand, but where in that quote does it say "There will not be a four-cylinder"? The original author was...imho...irresponsibly bold in his reporting.

I am just afraid that people are reading in between the lines where there is nothing to read, imo. However...CAFE standards are real...the 2.0T ATS is real...

Take this quote for example:

"In the future – something I don’t think the public realizes yet – there may be a day when nobody: Ford, Chrysler or GM has a V8...."

So does that mean they're dropping the V8? No....but you could make an equally baseless argument against a V8 in the 6th-gen by this quote as the author has made against a four-cylinder using the "downisizing" comment.

Al and the rest of the Camaro team often refered to the entire Camaro lineup when describing the car's character, ability, or purpose; from LS to Z/28. I think that the entire lineup is what he is referring to in that statement...just thinking back to how I've seen these guys talk and act. If you substitute a T4 for the V6, just for example: that statement still means the same thing, and the Camaro, as a brand, is not changed.

Angrybird 12 11-23-2013 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham (Post 7211204)
I understand, but where in that quote does it say "There will not be a four-cylinder"? The original author was...imho...irresponsibly bold in his reporting.

I am just afraid that people are reading in between the lines where there is nothing to read, imo. However...CAFE standards are real...the 2.0T ATS is real...

Take this quote for example:

"In the future – something I don’t think the public realizes yet – there may be a day when nobody: Ford, Chrysler or GM has a V8...."

So does that mean they're dropping the V8? No....but you could make an equally baseless argument against a V8 in the 6th-gen by this quote as the author has made against a four-cylinder using the "downisizing" comment.

Al and the rest of the Camaro team often refered to the entire Camaro lineup when describing the car's character, ability, or purpose; from LS to Z/28. I think that the entire lineup is what he is referring to in that statement...just thinking back to how I've seen these guys talk and act. If you substitute a T4 for the V6, just for example: that statement still means the same thing, and the Camaro, as a brand, is not changed.

I wonder though, what about the Corvette? At least in the beginning it started out as a 6 cylinder only, it may have to return to its roots so to speak..

Mr. Wyndham 11-23-2013 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 (Post 7211242)
I wonder though, what about the Corvette? At least in the beginning it started out as a 6 cylinder only, it may have to return to its roots so to speak..

A good engineer will weigh all solutions to a problem, if only for a moment.

At least for now...the Corvette team decided a turbo-charged V6 didn't provide the same balance of fuel economy and performance they wanted for their car...and so they decided to stick with the V8, besides the long-standing heritage of the Corvette always having a V8, except for those first few years.

My guess is that during development, they played with the same TTV6 featured in the new Cadillac CTS Vsport.

...Also remember...the original Corvette, out of the gate wasn't designed to be a performance car. That was Zora Duntov's work shortly after...and ever since, it's had only a V8...Camaro, ever since inception, was meant to appeal to a much broader audience.

2014v6 11-23-2013 08:37 PM

They need to make it a universal platform. That plays well with a host of crate engine upgrades after the purchase... i dont think that will impact CAFE..also will give hot rodders a dream platform to swap engines in and out along with suspension upgrades diffs the works...

Capability of a build it yourself crate car but also can manufacture if you dont want to or need too...
A direction i dont think they consider... the current model is close...

Angrybird 12 11-23-2013 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2014v6 (Post 7211331)
They need to make it a universal platform. That plays well with a host of crate engine upgrades after the purchase... i dont think that will impact CAFE..also will give hot rodders a dream platform to swap engines in and out along with suspension upgrades diffs the works...

Capability of a build it yourself crate car but also can manufacture if you dont want to or need too...
A direction i dont think they consider... the current model is close...

I wonder if they could drop a 4 banger in and make the LT1 a "Dealer Installed Option". Just joking...