CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   6th gen Camaro vs... (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=224)
-   -   C7 reliability - a heads up for the Gen 6?? (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=431578)

DevonK 12-02-2015 09:26 AM

C7 reliability - a heads up for the Gen 6??

Car and Driver just put up their long-term wrapup on their C7 - and to say it is scary is a gross understatement. I probably would have lemon-lawed the car it had so many issues. Everything from the HU down gave them headaches - grenading engine, leaking axle seals at 25k, crappy transmission that had no fix, failed HVAC, the list goes on. Now their car may have been an extreme example but the Vette forums suggest problems are not uncommon.

It will be very interesting to see if the same reliability issues plague the Gen 6 - it of course has basically the same engine, but the car itself is assembled at a different plant from the Vette so maybe there's hope.

SS 1LE 12-02-2015 09:35 AM

Supposedly there was a bad batch of engines that had some metal shavings from bad oil filters if I recall, theirs was one of those. I know three people with C7's, a '14, a '15 and a '16, no issues like these so far. Their transmission issues only started after the new engine was installed. If that was me, I would have demanded a resolution, as it was fine beforehand. The axle seals were from the extreme cold, guess GM thought nobody drives Vettes in snow and freezing temps LOL. But they have different axle seals now on all C7's.

DevonK 12-02-2015 09:46 AM

The oil filter was not the only engine issue:
Quote:

GM acknowledged that the engine manufacturing plant had experienced some difficulty ridding the inside of the block of machining burrs. As luck would have it, its oil-filter manufacturer had a similar problem; some filters had a thread shard that could come loose and contaminate the lubrication system.
The tranny's issues don't seem directly related to the engine - it simply can't cope with cold weather (and having a 7th gear was a big mistake too from all accounts). And the starter motor burned out as it was taking 12 seconds to start the car in the cold - did GM do any cold weather testing on this thing?

joelster 12-08-2015 08:45 PM

All 3 car magazines, Motor Trend, Car and Driver, and Road and Track or Automobile, had issues. Big issues. Ask Randy Pobst what it's like to run a Z06 at full boogie? Oh that's right, he can't get one to do a full lap without pulling boost on the stick cars or going into limp mode on the auto.

KaBoom1701 12-08-2015 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joelster (Post 8777873)
All 3 car magazines, Motor Trend, Car and Driver, and Road and Track or Automobile, had issues. Big issues. Ask Randy Pobst what it's like to run a Z06 at full boogie? Oh that's right, he can't get one to do a full lap without pulling boost on the stick cars or going into limp mode on the auto.

Heat issues on these Z06 cars....

JBsC6 12-13-2015 08:21 AM

Where do you guys come up with this.

Percentage wise the c7 is among the most reliable vehicles.

The 500 mile oil change resolved the gasket bleed off that was contaminating the oil at the track...

The solution was to change the oil at 500 miles and remove the contaminants the gaskets were putting out in the first 500 miles.

I hope that clears up the reliability aspect of the LT1.

It's a hell of a mass produced engine.

Remember the c7 z51 is warrantied even with track use....

Most manufacturers will void the Warranty if you take their car to the track.

That's pretty cool of gm ...

mcsoul 12-13-2015 03:45 PM

I suspect revisions and latest tech wise, the 2016 Camaro drivetrain is more comprable to the 2016 c7 than the 2014.

mako22 12-13-2015 06:46 PM

:dnftt:

SS376 12-14-2015 03:47 PM

It's not just Corvettes. Check out the truck and SUV forums. Lots of issues. I wouldn't even consider a gen 6 until I see how the first year shakes out. People can pretend everything's fine, but GM QC really seems to have slipped recently.

LesserO2Evils 12-14-2015 04:54 PM

BAD news is still, news. We would be foolhearted to ignore possible issues. Dont flame the poster.

stratosphere 12-14-2015 06:27 PM

My C7 has been a dream, nothing like the problems C&D had.

IOMike 12-14-2015 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SS376 (Post 8787837)
It's not just Corvettes. Check out the truck and SUV forums. Lots of issues. I wouldn't even consider a gen 6 until I see how the first year shakes out. People can pretend everything's fine, but GM QC really seems to have slipped recently.

I have heard of little to basically no powertrain issues in the new GM trucks. Some have had vibration issues (not engine vibrations) and many complained about the slow throttle response (tuning for gas mileage) but those are irrelevant.

IOMike 12-14-2015 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joelster (Post 8777873)

Yeah, because car and driver didn't put that car into the wall a few days before. It was discovered that the intercooler pump wiring wasn't fully secured which is why the car was running hot. Before Car and Driver put it into the wall it set the record on the track it was running on.

GretchenGotGrowl 12-15-2015 06:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IOMike (Post 8788527)
Yeah, because car and driver didn't put that car into the wall a few days before. It was discovered that the intercooler pump wiring wasn't fully secured which is why the car was running hot. Before Car and Driver put it into the wall it set the record on the track it was running on.

People keep forgetting about all the great lap times the Z06 has been laying down and concentrating on the the snafus. People will be people and man's best friend will always be his dog...for a reason.