CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=155)
-   -   Preview of the Gen-6 SS Engine? (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=283040)

LOWDOWN 03-15-2013 02:54 PM

Preview of the Gen-6 SS Engine?

With today's chat about an entry-level 5.3L Vette, does this news portend the base engine for the lighter Alpha-based Gen-6 Camaro SS? With a Gen-6 Camaro Z/28 housing the LT1?

http://www.autonews.com/article/2013...#axzz2NXtkOnqh

Or, will it be the other way around?!

Stay tuned...

Mr. Wyndham 03-15-2013 05:28 PM

"Base", as in less expensive?

Is there any money to really be saved by building a smaller-displacement version of, technically, the same engine? They'll have many similar parts...

I maintain the base Corvette engine and the Camaro V8 will be the same, as it is now, and has been in the past. Easy, smart way to save $$ through economies of scale...and it sounds as though this sub-Stingray Corvette has been debunked by everyone except these sources who are only "familiar with the plans"...:iono:

If there's a super Z28 in the gen 6...my crystal ball bets are on it sharing an engine with the future Z06...

Bhobbs 03-15-2013 05:31 PM

"I would hate to dilute the reputation of the Corvette" is how a lot of owners would feel if the top tier Vette motors made their way into "lesser" cars, like a Z/28.

Forty5th 03-15-2013 06:06 PM

Agree with the Mr... 6th gen SS likely gets the new LT1 but w/ less power than a :stingray:

Mr Twisty 03-15-2013 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bhobbs (Post 6290959)
"I would hate to dilute the reputation of the Corvette" is how a lot of owners would feel if the top tier Vette motors made their way into "lesser" cars, like a Z/28.

I think the LS9 is the first motor in (the Camaro) history that didn't make it into a Camaro.

[edit] the 90's ZL1 had the LT5, that I know of, only one Camaro was built with that motor.

Anyways, it happened a lot more often than not.

Mr. iNCREDIBLE 03-15-2013 06:20 PM

a 5.3L truck motor in a 'Vette. ew...

ok it might not be the actual truck motor, but seeing as GM has only used that 5.3L in trucks and FWD cars it will likely not be very accepted by the 'Vette crowd..

Wizard1183 03-15-2013 06:22 PM

With the SS having a 5.3L, it should be cheaper than an LS3 powered camaro, but ill bet it it'll cost at the very least, the same if not more.

Bhobbs 03-15-2013 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Twisty (Post 6291146)
I think the LS9 is the first motor in (the Camaro) history that didn't make it into a Camaro.

[edit] the 90's ZL1 had the LT5, that I know of, only one Camaro was built with that motor.

Anyways, it happened a lot more often than not.

Don't forget the LS7, LS6, LT5 and LT4. There were aftermarket LT4 Camaros but I'm talking factory. The LT1, LS1 and LS3 are the Corvette engines that made it in and those were base Corvette engines.

PYROLYSIS 03-15-2013 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bhobbs (Post 6291181)
Don't forget the LS7, LS6, LT5 and LT4. There were aftermarket LT4 Camaros but I'm talking factory. The LT1, LS1 and LS3 are the Corvette engines that made it in and those were base Corvette engines.

There were factory LT4 Camaros. I've seen a 97 30th anniversary SS that had one online.

PYROLYSIS 03-15-2013 08:14 PM

^Did some more reading to brush up on my fourth gen history. There were 108 30th anniversary SS's built with an LT4. They were modified by SLP but were a factory option.

LOWDOWN 03-16-2013 12:47 PM

All this "5.3 truck engine" stuff does NOT translate to a direct drop-in in either the Vette or Camaro.

- Think "car cam, intake, exhaust and a-l-l the other improvements inherent in the Gen-5 SBC", going forward.

- Think "327 cu. in." which powered similarly-weighted (to the coming C-7 Vette) C-1/C2/C-3 Vettes right into our conscious "lust zones".

- Think roughly "current power-to-weight"...which should equal great performance combined with great mpg, a necessary component to any business case.

- Or...would you rather have a hair-dryed V6?!

"Cost of manufacture" seldom/never is a guarantee of "selling price". What IS a guarantee is, with mandated systems, necessary fuel economy regulations, and supposed weight decreases inherent in next-Gen vehicles partially due to more expensive high-tech materiale, the only way to keep MSRP under some constraint is to "give" on some things. A 35-3600 lb Gen-6 Camaro SS will NOT "need" 450+ hp. Under 400 will deliver performance a Gen-5 Camaro owner will be able to accept, and retain their perma-grin. Detuning a 6.2 to less than 400 is simply dumb (or directly using the dreaded TRUCK version!) and would not adequately address the mpg situation. A 5.3 will...

Or would y'all prefer a V6 SS instead?

Bhobbs 03-16-2013 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PYROLYSIS (Post 6291489)
^Did some more reading to brush up on my fourth gen history. There were 108 30th anniversary SS's built with an LT4. They were modified by SLP but were a factory option.

I understand that but what I'm saying is, in recent history, only base Corvette engines have made their way into a regular production Camaro model.

mikeSS 03-16-2013 04:32 PM

i heard a few weeks ago about this. i heard the 5.3L engine is less powerful than the Ls3. which is kind of sad...

meissen 03-16-2013 05:30 PM

I'm really surprised at the news about a "base" Corvette... My understanding was that they were calling the C7 the Stingray because they wanted everyone to feel like they were getting that "upgraded" model. If they wanted a base then they should have had just a Corvette, and then the Corvette Stingray as an upgraded model. Doesn't make sense and contradicts what they were saying when the C7 was unveiled.