CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=155)
-   -   Another trusted industry source says, “Bye-bye, Camaro.” (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=559461)

50MileSmile 08-01-2019 04:11 PM

Another trusted industry source says, “Bye-bye, Camaro.”

Every year, the weekly magazine Automotive News, which is the auto industry’s most-reliable news source, publishes articles about the manufacturer’s future products. The first one, on General Motors, appeared in this week’s edition. Here’s part of what the story says - nothing new or any more decisive than we’ve already heard, but it is another “confirmation”:

GM was quick to make styling and packaging changes for the 2020 model year, but the Camaro nameplate may once again be shelved after the 2023 model year, according to one report. An expected redesign of the car in 2021 was reportedly canceled.

MackSteelPrivateEye 08-01-2019 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 50MileSmile (Post 10586396)
Every year, the weekly magazine Automotive News, which is the auto industry’s most-reliable news source, publishes articles about the manufacturer’s future products. The first one, on General Motors, appeared in this week’s edition. Here’s part of what the story says - nothing new or any more decisive than we’ve already heard, but it is another “confirmation”:

GM was quick to make styling and packaging changes for the 2020 model year, but the Camaro nameplate may once again be shelved after the 2023 model year, according to one report. An expected redesign of the car in 2021 was reportedly canceled.

I wish I could say bye bye to knuckleheads at the very top running GM.:bump::facepalm:

AZCamaroFan 08-01-2019 04:22 PM

"According to one report..."
in other words they're quoting the same website no one has ever heard of from a few weeks ago.

MiamiBlueCamaro 08-01-2019 04:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)

50MileSmile 08-01-2019 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AZCamaroFan (Post 10586412)
in other words they're quoting the same website no one has ever heard of from a few weeks ago.

It’s possible, but having known these folks a long time, I would trust that they at least would have gotten independent verification of the claim. Just because one knucklehead says it’s true doesn’t make it true, but if two or three knuckleheads say it’s true independently of each other, that adds some credence.

DaveC113 08-01-2019 04:56 PM

They're also thinking of making Corvette a new brand, could be the Camaro will live on under the Corvette brand using the Alpha 2 chassis.

I think this is a great idea actually, and if GM isn't already planning on it, they should. Like it or not the Camaro has a stigma and many folks will never consider the car because of "Camaro", it has a certain rep.

OTOH the new Corvette is a smash hit so far, and a mini-Corvette could be a massive seller vs the Camaro and it's unfortunate lack of sales.

This would also allow a more blank-slate redesign of the body, so it could offer a more modern look with better visibility and practicality.

So, I wouldn't give up hope...

Hasti 08-01-2019 05:23 PM

Ill just "pony down" for the c8 then.

triggerjerk 08-01-2019 05:35 PM

Isn't it a fact that alpha 1 is dead after 2023 (or sooner)?
Isn't it a fact that alpha 2 will ONLY underpin the CT4/5?
And isn't it a fact that the only rwd platform that could be available for a Camaro thereafter is for evs?
Add everything up and it seems like it is indeed dead.

Am I missing something?

GM has been quick to point out that the C8 is not sold out. They have said nothing to the contrary about the rumors of the Camaro's demise.

Dave-ROR 08-01-2019 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AZCamaroFan (Post 10586412)

Actually that one source is a very well known clickbait site. Just wait, according to them the turbo brz is next year! Since 2014....

OVRKLL 08-01-2019 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hasti (Post 10586468)
Ill just "pony down" for the c8 then.

I may do the same...then again, the value of the SS 1LE will probably go up in a few years.

dpevans 08-01-2019 06:09 PM

I also heard from an insider the Camaro is dead in 2024. I only hope is they make it electric sports car.

LT4Greg 08-01-2019 06:32 PM

Again, I will wait for the official word from GM whether or not the Camaro will be discontinued after 2023! If it is then there’s not much we can do about it except to hang on to our 6gens and keep enjoying driving them.

50MileSmile 08-01-2019 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave-ROR (Post 10586483)
Actually that one source is a very well known clickbait site. Just wait, according to them the turbo brz is next year! Since 2014....

I would doubt the clickbait site is the source (or only source) for such a reputable industry publication. (At least I hope not!)

Glen e 08-01-2019 06:48 PM

I personally think they’ll probably do away with it. It seems like if there was a new generation that we would be seeing a lot more stuff leaked out, renditions, artists conceptions etc. etc. and I believe some of the parts supply places would have some ideas if it was going to happen. The magazines are dead about info re a new generation.

I hope I am wrong…