CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=155)
-   -   Future 5th gen or 6th gen Camaro to get 440hp 5.5L V8 (from C7 Corvette)? (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=92463)

bobby35ny 06-30-2010 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vega (Post 2045826)
Ohhh, i cant believe i forgot to mention this! haha, im a huge supporter of E85 so id LOVE to see an E85 engine in both the Camaro and Corvette, E85 is way cleaner, home grown, despite rumors and trash talk does NOT effect the food supply at all, it has a higher octane rating and such is a better performance fuel, AND its cheaper than gasoline! Its all around perfect. Yesterday i was driving around Indiana and saw gas for $2.71 and E85 for $2.08, a Corvette with an E85 motor would be an amazing accomplishment and would go a long way to return the Corvette to its All American Icon status, all the while smashing the stupid ideas of putting FI V6s in our top of the line sport/muscle cars, and that might be one big step towards shifting the whole world's fuel supplies back in our favor, i love the idea of E85 muscle cars, and what better car to take the first step and get everyone else on board than the legendary Corvette?

I love GM more and more every day...
xD

Corn Ethanol is such a farce, sugarcane is much better, like 7X better. One big problem is to process Ethanol, you waste more energy to make it, LOL/
-bobby

Z/28orSs 06-30-2010 11:46 PM

it better live up to the ls name plate i dont want anoter 80"s repeat

fielderLS3 07-01-2010 12:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wylde1 (Post 2045865)
I like that idea too, but I heard somewhere that you don't get as good of mileage with it. Doesn't have the same energy content as gasoline. so the cost would probably end up being a wash or mabye slightly more because you'd fill up more often. I can't prove that, and i've never driven an E85 vehicle. but that's just what I've heard.

But I've heard you can get more power out of it! and I like that!

You get more power out of ethanol because it has a very high octane rating, so you can go crazy with compression and timing when using it.

You are right about energy content. Ethanol has about 2/3 as much energy per gallon than gasoline. An engine that gets 20 mpg on gas would get about 14 mpg on E85 if all other factors were the same.

76z28 07-01-2010 02:36 AM

If you are all worried about torque i bet gm will throw in a gear option in there
a high winding engine that makes torque up higher in the rpm range is very fun
its a step in the right directions if they do a 5.0 to compete with ford all the better
as LONG as they make it lighter

fielderLS3 07-01-2010 04:11 AM

I still don't understand why people think the new engine will produce less torque. Isn't it just going to be a slightly downsized version of the current engine, plus VVT and DI? I'd be willing to bet the torque curve on the new engine will be very similar to the LS3 (who knows, with the variable valve timing, low-end torque may actually improve), and that given the lighter chassis, the 6th gens will be relatively faster than the current car at any given RPM.

It is kind of funny that so many are coming out to say what is wrong with the 2015 Camaro 4 years before it is launched. The engineers at GM don't even know what will be "wrong with it" yet.:laugh:

zora2mac8 07-01-2010 08:12 AM

sounds like a plan.. and its a good lookin number.. would be a kool badge haha. 5.5 NIIIIIIICE

phenixdragon 07-01-2010 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wylde1 (Post 2044115)
I wonder what that will do for the TQ numbers. I'm a fan of smaller displacement higher revving engines, but they're usually a different purpose. A muscle car should be built for TQ, a race car should be build for HP. Makes sense to put it in the vette, I'd like to see it in the camaro if it makes gobs of TQ too.

"Horsepower sells cars, torque wins races." - Carroll Shelby

TQ is what you want for racing. It's want pulls you out of the corners and is what gets you moving.

stand-al0ne 07-01-2010 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ViperTomcat (Post 2045429)
A few notes:

Yes, it could get the new engine. Yes it could be faster, yes it could also kill the new SRT8 Challenger. Yes it could have 440 HP but less torque than the current LS3. Yes it could be awesome.

Yes a Z28, LSA powered Camaro could beat the new 6.4L Hemi Challenger. Yes it could kill it.

But it isnt, its speculation. The 6.4L IS going into the Challenger SRT8 with 480 HP. Basic bolt on mods (such as a catback, tune, longtubes and CAI) will put it over 500 crank HP, if not closer to 525. If it does get a new automatic dont expect the overall weight to raise more than 20 pounds, and it will already be lighter due to the fact it is based on the 5.7L Hemi, and not the 6.1L.

The simple fact is Dodge and Ford have put new engines in their vehicles and have listened to complaints and suggestions. The 2011 Mustang in every trim has either recieved new engines or raises in power. The 2011 Challenger SRT8 has a new engine and is getting a better interior and other changes.

What has the Camaro recieved? a HUD and a new color of paint for the SS. Now GM couldnt do anything really, but they MUST *MUST* do something other than throw a convertible onto the market for next year. The Z28 isnt confirmed, so it doesnt count, I'm sorry.

GM is now compeletly behind in the 2011 HP/Pony/Muscle car wars and has lost the 2011 model year features/numbers war in bragging rights except for 2010 sales. The 2011 GT500 with 550 HP and the 480 HP SRT8 Challenger both overpower and can outrun a LS3 SS. Of course drivers will make the difference.

Do something GM, 2010 was so awesome for you, and I want 2012 to be again awesome. Take 2011 to understand that you cant sit back and gloat, or you WILL lose the war, no matter what battles you won.

Sounds like the 6.4L motor and cosmetic changes are only going to make your Challenger heavier...which is too bad because its already a fat slob. But yes they do look good on the outside, but they need that inside less rent-a-charger like.

Thankfully GM's design team tackles problems by lightening our car with a smaller 5.5 (or 5.7L) motor, yes upping the HP, lightens the new chassis, and will make an even better Camaro than what is already awesome.
Can Dodge not up the HP without upping the displacement?

2010 Bumblebee 07-01-2010 11:07 AM

I'd rather see a 7.0 LS7, a 6.2 LSA, or a 6.2 LS9

I would not want a 5.7 instead of a 6.2. :thumbdown: Who would ?

I'd rather see a 7.0 LS7, a 6.2 LSA, or a 6.2 LS9. :thumbup:

You can always get more out of a bigger engine. Scew smaller motors.
I didn't buy my camaro for gas milage. I bought it for pleasure !