CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=155)
-   -   Future Camaro Powered By Turbo V6 and DCT Transmission, Like C7 Corvette? (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99132)

Tran 08-06-2010 01:44 PM

Future Camaro Powered By Turbo V6 and DCT Transmission, Like C7 Corvette?

Reported on CAMARO5 HOMEPAGE.

GM CEO Whitacre has confirmed that the next generation Corvette (C7) is currently in the works. In a separate report, a senior Saab source has let known that the C7 will be mid-engined and equipped with an optional dual clutch transmission (DCT) good for up to 590lb-ft of torque.

What's interesting for Camaro fans is the rumor that has come along with these bits of news - that GM is considering a V6 turbo motor for the C7. This would not come as a complete shock, as with increasing frequency, auto manufacturers have been turning to forced induction to increase fuel efficiency while maintaining (or even increasing) power output with less displacement.

If GM turns to a V6 turbo motor and offers a DCT option for the C7 Corvette, could this signal a similar direction for late model year 5th gen Camaros or the 6th generation Camaro? That could certainly be a possibility.

Thoughts? Let's try to discuss this without resorting to mindless "there's no replacement for displacement!!!" cries.

DarthNacho08 08-06-2010 01:50 PM

as long as the power stays up, i'm fine with a turbo v6, lots of other people on here won't be though lol

lets_go_bills 08-06-2010 02:11 PM

Heck, with today's areodynamics and technological advances, they can turbo charge a four-cylinder for 300hp to provide amazing fuel efficiency and enough torque to allow it to accelerate quickly.

Bob Lutz was quoted saying something along those lines.

This is the 21st century. With things changing, like the cost of fuel and green initiatives and laws, etc., things are shifting away from those big mean V8 engines from years past. And with ever-improving and ever-evolving technology, we can do that without sacrificing power and torque.

Truth is, the newer generations don't seem care for V8s the same way the baby boomers do.

The times they are a changin.

shank0668 08-06-2010 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lets_go_bills (Post 2190487)
Heck, with today's areodynamics and technological advances, they can turbo charge a four-cylinder for 300hp to provide amazing fuel efficiency and enough torque to allow it to accelerate quickly.

Bob Lutz was quoted saying something along those lines.

This is the 21st century. With things changing, like the cost of fuel and green initiatives and laws, etc., things are shifting away from those big mean V8 engines from years past. And with ever-improving and ever-evolving technology, we can do that without sacrificing power and torque.

Truth is, the newer generations don't seem care for V8s the same way the baby boomers do.

The times they are a changin.

Im a newer generation who likes a v8:)

ViperTomcat 08-06-2010 02:20 PM

I thought this was debunked already?

I was under the impression that the mid-engine was going to be in the C8..not the C7..and that the Corvette was keeping its V8 but a DI 5.5/5.7L one..

PHEOX 08-06-2010 02:21 PM

If it happens, it happens. I am not for it or against it, I love the sound of an angry V8, but I also think V6's can make some of the most beautiful pitches I've ever heard. Listen to a G35 or Hyundai (yes, I said it) Genesis Coupe, beautiful sounds. We all know the end of V8's is coming, there are so many environmentalists that are cracking down on us V8 guys. If any American company starts with turbo V6's on their muscles, I sure hope it's GM, because I love setting the standard! :thumbup:

Revo1 08-06-2010 02:26 PM

Pretty cool, but I don't care how much boost you run- that V8 rumble will still be amiss :(

camaro2lt 08-06-2010 02:37 PM

Turbo v-6 i wonder what the hp would be on that??

B2E2RUN 08-06-2010 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ViperTomcat (Post 2190507)

I was under the impression that the mid-engine was going to be in the C8..not the C7..and that the Corvette was keeping its V8 but a DI 5.5/5.7L one..

x2. And like the full article says, GM is always working on something, most of which never makes it to production, or was even intended too.

nester7929 08-06-2010 02:39 PM

A V8 should at the very least be an option. Corvette SS perhaps?

Quote:

Originally Posted by ViperTomcat (Post 2190507)

This is what I've heard also.

TaylorRyanSS 08-06-2010 02:40 PM

Corvettes need V8s.

ArkySS 08-06-2010 02:42 PM

This is likely inevitable in the long run, however I prefer the feel and sound of the V8. Call me old school...

v6sonoma 08-06-2010 02:42 PM

I would be ok with it as a base engine option but if their's no V8 option I'll be pissed. Whack us with a gas guzzler tax. I don't care, but give me my V8!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

UT-Engineer 08-06-2010 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TaylorRyan74 (Post 2190567)
Corvettes need V8s.

or v10s... lol.... move outta the way vipers!