CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   ZL1 Discussions (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=235)
-   -   Why is ZL1-1LE available only in manual? (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=491499)

Sooner Cole 04-15-2017 06:03 PM

Why is ZL1-1LE available only in manual?

I was surprised to learn that the ZL1-1LE is only going to be available with the manual transmission? With all of the hype surrounding the new A10, why do you think they are not making the car with both options? Is this something that was expected? Did the 2015 Z28 have both options or do the track dedicated cars usually only have manual? Anyone have any inside info on this?

FNxR3DNECK 04-15-2017 06:12 PM

Quite simply... it's a 1LE.

hashtag 04-15-2017 06:20 PM

It's a all out race car. Have u seen the 1LE tires?

Gonasurvive 04-15-2017 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 17ZL1Camaro (Post 9674709)
I was surprised to learn that the ZL1-1LE is only going to be available with the manual transmission? With all of the hype surrounding the new A10, why do you think they are not making the car with both options? Is this something that was expected? Did the 2015 Z28 have both options or do the track dedicated cars usually only have manual? Anyone have any inside info on this?

Everything I have read has stated, that automatic remove a lot of human involvement from racing and are not allowed due to that fact. Just like dragging an auto, you just have to push the pedal and off you go. Where as dragging a manual you have to clutch, shift and use the gas. Autos just take too many human elements (driver skill) away, and it's truly just the car doing the racing. Just my friendly two cents and with an easy google search, racing rules are on the internet.

Rockmonstir 04-15-2017 06:26 PM

It's a drivers car.

Sooner Cole 04-15-2017 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gonasurvive (Post 9674741)
Everything I have read has stated, that automatic remove a lot of human involvement from racing and are not allowed due to that fact. Just like dragging an auto, you just have to push the pedal and off you go. Where as dragging a manual you have to clutch, shift and use the gas. Autos just take too many human elements (driver skill) away, and it's truly just the car doing the racing. Just my friendly two cents and with an easy google search, racing rules are on the internet.

I agree with what you are saying and if I order one, I had planned on the manual. I always enjoyed the interaction with the shifting and the car. It just feels right, but just surprised because of so much conversation about the A10.

crazydmc 04-15-2017 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gonasurvive (Post 9674741)

more likely a manual is best suited for TRACK... less complicated, less likely to overheat, launching and fast shifting not as important. sure an A10 is great for drag racing.. but 1LE is for TRACK, not drag racing

edc901 04-15-2017 07:01 PM

#racecar

Gonasurvive 04-15-2017 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 17ZL1Camaro (Post 9674758)
I agree with what you are saying and if I order one, I had planned on the manual. I always enjoyed the interaction with the shifting and the car. It just feels right, but just surprised because of so much conversation about the A10.

The 1LE package is the race ready version of our ZL1, different tires, different suspension and the reason why no A10 option with the package (Auto are not allowed to race in certified races). The 1LE is pretty much just for racing on the track, can be a DD, but depends on how you like a stiff ride. Were as our ZL1 is meant for DD, Drag and track. The 1LE will beat the normal ZL1 on the Track, but won't beat the normal ZL1 on drag strip. I might be wrong, to me it seems like all the Aerodynamics on the 1LE would slow it down on a drag strip a little bit. If you get the 1LE package make sure to look over the options, because I would beat somethings are going to be missing, compared to the normal loaded ZL1.

7stringtheory 04-15-2017 08:29 PM

I think its also the fact that a manual transmission is just going to be more reliable on a track. Automatic transmissions tend to overheat when abused on road courses for long sessions.

Mr. Wyndham 04-15-2017 08:58 PM

The reasons are simple-ish...

-- Less Weight.
-- Less heat.
-- A10 = M6 on track (roughly)
-- more control, road course drivers like that
-- 1LE, #racecar, etc chest-thumping

And yes, the Z/28 was manual only. The 1LE models are all manual only. The Viper ACR was manual only, GT350R manual only...it's pretty typical to see a dedicated track car offered in manual transmission only.
The few exceptions are very expensive, and very exotic. (eg. Porsche 911 GT3, McLaren, Ferrari)

You can be pretty well-assured that if they didn't include something as standard, then it didn't make the car faster. And if something didn't make the car faster...then it's not an option worth offering on this car. :thumbsup:

MY 19 Z 04-15-2017 09:19 PM

Have to agree with Mr. Wyndham.

2SSRS@Gen5diy 04-15-2017 11:55 PM

Z/28 came from the plant with a M6 (we know of one Auto but not from GM) no race car comes with 2 heat pumps (1 is the A-10 the second is the blower) let's hope this car does not slow down after 20 min on the race track!!

Z_Rocks 04-16-2017 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 17ZL1Camaro (Post 9674709)
I was surprised to learn that the ZL1-1LE is only going to be available with the manual transmission?

That's because that car is for REAL drivers and not those who just press on gas pedal and let computer do the shifting.