CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=155)
-   -   6th gen reveal and Detriot autoshow (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=387841)

hotlap 12-12-2014 10:09 PM

I was hunting for anything hinting at the Camaro reveal and found this from last August. Doesn't looking good if there will only be one Chevy revealed. :frown:

Quote:

Next-gen Chevy Volt to debut at 2015 Detroit auto show
Tim Mahoney, Chevy's global chief marketing officer, disclosed the plans at the 2014 Management Briefing Seminars in Traverse City, Mich. He also revealed a teaser photo that showed the redesigned 2016 Volt's rear badge and a more sculpted decklid.
http://www.autonews.com/article/2014...roit-auto-show

FenwickHockey65 12-12-2014 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeT (Post 8110346)
And let's not forget that Cadillac has its own event on Tues, Jan 13, so the CTS-V is a non-factor in all this.

The Chevy event is not going to be all about the Volt. The Volt is a niche product that most of the automotive world ignores. Almost no one cares. That's the hard truth.

Worry about the Cruze, not the Volt. The 2016 Cruze is an important, 'volume' product that could debut at NAIAS. But a version of the new Cruze has already debuted in China. And while the North America Cruze will apparently have some cosmetic changes (i.e., grill, fascia, et.), it's probably not going be THAT different. The new Cruze, no matter how important, is unlikely to be a car that sets the automotive world on fire.

The Camaro, on the other hand, has sex appeal.

First off, saying the automotive world ignores Volt is absolutely laughable considering how many COTY awards the vehicle has won and how much speculation surrounds the 2nd gen.

2nd gen NA Cruze will be more than just a front fascia swap from the Chinese spec model.

MikeT 12-13-2014 12:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 (Post 8111351)
First off, saying the automotive world ignores Volt is absolutely laughable considering how many COTY awards the vehicle has won and how much speculation surrounds the 2nd gen.

Yeah, and I can point you to some "Biggest flop" lists, too. I'll concede that a few folks in the media are curious about the Volt and will undoubtedly want to write about the changes to the 2nd gen. Okay, fine.

But GM is a business, and the important audiences are not automotive journalists and bloggers but rather GM's actual customers and investors.

Is the Volt relevant to the overwhelming majority of GM's customers? No, it isn't. How many are being sold? 1,500 units a month in the U.S.? On a car in which the GM has sunk billions? And plummeting fuel prices aren't going to help the situation. The Camaro can potentially sell 7x the Volt, and do so profitably.

And the Volt is relevant to GM's shareholders only in a negative sense, i.e.,, how much money the company will continue to lose per unit.

The fortunes of GM have to do with real cars that buyers actually want and that can be sold profitably and in sufficient numbers... cars like the Cruze and the Camaro, with the latter offering more in the way of glamor.

If GM wastes the NAIAS focusing on an unsuccessful endeavor like the Volt, management should be fired.

Blueclyde 12-13-2014 07:25 AM

I think the reveal and info on the 6th gen will be slow played by GM. After thinking about some of the resultant events post some 5th gen reveals (ZL1), my guess would be NY. No need to announce early. It only gives competition advance info to use against you and hurts current model sales. I would be surprised if we see anything in Detroit.

KMPrenger 12-13-2014 10:58 AM

Actually I disagree with that thought that the Volt doesn't deserve a big spot of its own. It does...and it IS an important car.

The car is becoming more affordable, and will almost certainly offer greater range than the current model. As the price comes down, you'll start seeing this option popping into people's heads more and more. Owners overwhelmingly like the car very much, and I think a lot more would like to give the car a shot, but the price didn't/doesn't make sense in many cases. But as I said above that is changing over time.

I think in the future this car could be a hit for GM.

So while I'd love to see a 1/12 6th gen reveal, I still have my doubts. Chevrolet could do a reveal show all on its own for the 6th gen, like Ford did for the Mustang.

The thing is, it seems like GM loves to reveal models 6 - 9 months or so before it even becomes available, so even if it is revealed in Jan, I'm betting it won't hit dealer lots until mid summer at the earliest if not late summer/early fall. If GM doesn't reveal the car until later 2015, what does that mean....could it mean a late 2016 model year release? Who knows. We likely won't get power, weight, or MPGs until months after the initial reveal, but I'm hoping that if a good amount of weight is shed, that GM will want to brag about that early on, and will reveal the weight, (or at least provide good hints/clues on weight loss) so we don't have to wait seemingly forever for that info.

ilirg 12-13-2014 11:20 AM

Ford is bringing the heat to Detroit, GM will miss a great opportunity to steal the thunder by not revealing the 6th gen.

hector95z 12-13-2014 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilirg (Post 8111802)
Ford is bringing the heat to Detroit, GM will miss a great opportunity to steal the thunder by not revealing the 6th gen.

This

ssrs2lt 12-13-2014 12:09 PM

yep getting time to put up or shut up!

Autonaut 12-13-2014 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ssrs2lt (Post 8111865)
yep getting time to put up or shut up!

It sure feels like it..

I mean. We know the platform.
We can assume a LT1 v8 or something of similar power levels.
We more or less know what it will look like.

GM needs to bring us something. Soon. Even if we already have guessed it.
Guessing is getting old.

mako22 12-13-2014 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blueclyde (Post 8111540)
I think the reveal and info on the 6th gen will be slow played by GM. After thinking about some of the resultant events post some 5th gen reveals (ZL1), my guess would be NY. No need to announce early. It only gives competition advance info to use against you and hurts current model sales. I would be surprised if we see anything in Detroit.

you're probably right. Hoping for January but I will be at NY :pray:

LesserO2Evils 12-15-2014 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hector95z (Post 8111826)
This

X3

Denis 12-16-2014 08:12 AM

NYIAS...im calling it. plus I want it to be there so I can be there for it...

Bhobbs 12-16-2014 10:46 AM

If they reveal it in April, the cars wouldn't hit lots until 2016. Unless they have the car done and ready for production at the time of the reveal, I don't see it happening that late. It wouldn't make any sense.

FenwickHockey65 12-16-2014 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bhobbs (Post 8116314)
If they reveal it in April, the cars wouldn't hit lots until 2016. Unless they have the car done and ready for production at the time of the reveal, I don't see it happening that late. It wouldn't make any sense.

It's completely within the realm of possibility. Toyota does it all the time. Reveal then launch just a few months later.

GM on the other hand, in all their eternal wisdom, reveals cars ridiculously early then has to deal with enthusiasts asking for more information and customers leaving dealerships disappointed.

In all honesty the damn car should be revealed in April. With production starting in late summer to fall.