CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=155)
-   -   MPG for 6th Gen? (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=283297)

Hulkamaniac 03-17-2013 09:31 AM

MPG for 6th Gen?

Have there been any numbers for mileage expectations for the 6th Gen?

I don't understand why we can make a microchip so small it can fit on the head of a pin, but we can't make V8 400+ hp engines that get can 40+ mpg's. :iono:

I'd love to see a world where muscle cars and pick-ups get great power AND mileage.

toehead93 03-17-2013 11:00 AM

We are getting closer. The next gen will be lighter and the engine more efficient plus 7speed transmissions so MPG will go up but HP and MPG are trade offs. Cant really have both unless you go hybrid or electric.

Mr. Wyndham 03-17-2013 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RallySportRand (Post 6296195)

I don't understand why we can make a microchip so small it can fit on the head of a pin, but we can't make V8 400+ hp engines that get can 40+ mpg's. :iono:

I'd love to see a world where muscle cars and pick-ups get great power AND mileage.

Because those microchips aren't supercomputers in terms of performance. ;)

We can make 4 cylinder engines with the same power levels that 15 years ago would have been 25-28mpg...and are now getting 40-45...In terms of mpgs...the current Camaro SS would have been rated somewhere like 27, 28mpg hwy in 2007, before they changed the rules.

It's rumored that the new Corvette will be rated at or very close to 30mpg hwy with it's 450+ hp LT1 engine...If that is true, and a 6th-gen Camaro uses the same engine...I'm predicting a 28mpg V8 Camaro....

But outside of all the guessing....we got nuthin'. :laugh:

The_Blur 03-17-2013 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by toehead93 (Post 6296439)
We are getting closer. The next gen will be lighter and the engine more efficient plus 7speed transmissions so MPG will go up but HP and MPG are trade offs. Cant really have both unless you go hybrid or electric.

The next engine is more powerful and more efficient. It's just good engineering.

2012-1822 04-28-2013 03:55 AM

Rules on measuring don't matter to me, fact is right now most of my driving is city and I consistently get 10 mpg in a stock ZL1.

I read somewhere, a while ago, that 2019 should bring a 400hp 30 mile to the gallon base Corvette. If that estimate has been moved up to this stingray its gonna be hard for me to think about another Camaro as a daily driver and go with the Vette.

But who really knows what the future holds?

PS, love my ZL1, not giving it up, don't drive that many miles a week anyway.

janny 05-18-2013 05:08 AM

You know what is the problem with us we need perfection in all matters we need power, speed and good mileage at the same time is it possible now? I am not saying about the future but if you need good milage so we have to reduce the power am I right or not?

Bhobbs 05-20-2013 08:40 PM

Quote:

Because you can't change physics. The majority of energy produced by the combustion of gasoline in the engine is lost as heat and a little more is lost through friction of the drive train.

NASTY99Z28 05-20-2013 10:49 PM

It will be really sad if the new vette isn't rated over 30 mpg's since 4th gens get
27-29 and c5/c6 vettes can get over 30 already. I know reall world numbed vary compared to rated numbers but it should be better since the engine will make a lot more torque. The only thing that kills me is evn with the new 7speed the final gear isn't any better then the current c6. They need to do like ford did with the gt500 and give it a really deep final gear.

FenwickHockey65 05-20-2013 11:30 PM

Quote:

Physics.

Wizard1183 05-21-2013 06:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by toehead93 (Post 6296439)

Wonder if the manual tranny will have 7 as well?

LIVEVIL 05-21-2013 09:15 AM

Quote:

but we can't make V8 400+ hp engines that get can 40+ mpg's
We can make those, it's all about the package as a whole. You can have the most fuel efficient engine in the world, if you stick it in a 4000lb beast it's not going to get good mileage. That's where the laws of physics come in.

Put that same V8 in a 2500lb aerodinamic car and you'll get significantly better mileage.

So it's not that we can't build the engine capable of that, it's that everything else around it needs to be up to par. And when there are ever increasing safety regulations and everyone wants big wheels/brakes and lots of technology in the car it's going to be tough to keep the weight down.

The reason microchips can be so inexpensive is because the raw materials are very small (think about how much a processor weighs). But when you need 3000lbs of carbon fiber to make a light car well that much material is going to cost a lot.

Mikes SS 05-21-2013 10:05 AM

Well if it is any indication about the Cadillac ATS and the 6th gen Camaro, the ATS is rated @ 19/28 with the 3.6...which is funny, because the current V6 camaro gets better MPG than that and it is heavier!!

Mr. Wyndham 05-22-2013 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikes SS (Post 6569920)
Well if it is any indication about the Cadillac ATS and the 6th gen Camaro, the ATS is rated @ 19/28 with the 3.6...which is funny, because the current V6 camaro gets better MPG than that and it is heavier!!

I think that's because the ATS is geared and wears tires for performance in the 3.6L trim...the Camaro, in contrast, is geared for and shod in fuel economy tires.

With a similar treatment...I wonder if the ATS 3.6 wouldn't get 31-32mpg...

sspolo 05-22-2013 06:57 PM

There was a post here on Camaro5 about an aftermarket plug in hybrid engine (or something similar) that could be plugged into any car. It wasn't finalized and I don't remember how it worked, but it was said to increase the MPG by about 10 MPG.

Many people that commented on that thread were being negative towards it, but I personally think that it would be great. Imagine getting 25+ MPG in the city on a 426 horsepower beast without loosing any performance whatsoever (minus the added on weight of course).