CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   ZL1 Discussions (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=235)
-   -   ZL1 vs Hellcat (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=444709)

Mr. Wyndham 03-17-2016 10:12 PM

The Hellcat is fun to talk about, and a great bragging point for Dodge...but it's basically a giant engine in a big, comfy tub with inadequate wheels/tires.

The ZL1 is SOOooooo much more.

The ZL1 needs a vs. Car A, Car B, and Car C comparison in order to be beaten in all categories it was built to compete in, at once. :laugh:

ADM PERFORMANCE 03-17-2016 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Number 3 (Post 8974875)
In a recent review the CTS-V was faster than the Hellcat to 60 and the 1/4 mile. I suspect the track would not even be close. So I expect the ZL1 being even lighter will prove the larger HP number is necessary but not sufficient.

So the Hellcat will loose everywhere to the ZL1.

2cnd chance 03-17-2016 10:41 PM

Estimate HC 6.4 power/weight 275 rear tire
Guesstimate ZL1 6.1 power/weight 305 rear tire

The ZL1 will most likely have a better PTW and traction...the ZL1 should win 0-60 & in the 1/4.

RenegadeXR 03-17-2016 11:17 PM

As others kind of said, in a straight line at the strip, it's probably close. It will come down to driver skill and how well prepared the car is for its run.

On the track, the ZL1 should beat it pretty handily. Driven by the same person, there should be a pretty big gap in lap times if they were driven back to back. The Hellcat is no slouch and reviewers tend to be pleasantly surprised with its handling considering the size and weight. SRT performance goodies make sure things like brake fade isn't a problem, like it'd be on a cheaper car like a standard Camaro SS or Challenger RT, and it should have fairly good lap consistency. Even so, it really wasn't designed from the ground up to be a track car like the ZL1.

I really want to see the comparisons when they come out. Speculation like this sucks and isn't nearly as fun as seeing them actually go head to head. Just need to wait 6+ months.

Jeffro19 03-17-2016 11:37 PM

I can't wait for the comparisons. Just gonna be a long time to wait for them since we probably won't see any ZL1 cars getting delivered till at least November or so. Gonna be a great matchup

NASTY99Z28 03-17-2016 11:50 PM

The hellcat will when a drag race auto vs auto and pull away from a roll. I'll take a gentlemen's bet with anyone that's says otherwise. ;-)

macwest 03-18-2016 12:14 AM

The challenger is great if you want old school feel and nostalgic look in a modern car. Camaro is more of a sports car. 6th gen still deciding on looks. On performance hard to say anything till we see dyno and test results. Hellcat is underrated and will be interesting to see what ZL1 comes in as. The great part for us as a consumer is having both in market will help keep price coughing dealers down.

FINALLYSATISFIED 03-18-2016 02:15 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

In a recent review the CTS-V was faster than the Hellcat to 60 and the 1/4 mile. I suspect the track would not even be close. So I expect the ZL1 being even lighter will prove the larger HP number is necessary but not sufficient.

It's been proven to run a 10.5-10.8. I've seen plenty of reviews where the Hellcat beats the CTS-V too. It's going to be an exciting match up between the 2 vehicles. Dodge let it be known what they have so GM and Ford shouldn't have any problem catching up. The Charger Hellcat is just as fast. I guess we all have to wait and see...:)

Attachment 782115

Johnman 03-18-2016 04:53 AM

Quote:

Yes, the CTS-V beat the Charger Hellcat in acceleration tests even though their PTW was listed as identical.

Fred 16 03-18-2016 05:51 AM

Hellcat = straight line

ZL1 = circuit + straight line

motorhead 03-18-2016 06:30 AM

Im a mopar guy at heart, but I really don't see the hellcat out performing this new ZL1. With that being said, I also believe that either car would and will be an absolute joy to drive. My local Dodge dealer has a B5 Hellcat coming supposedly. I just dont think I could do it knowing this ZL1 is coming. Now if he would have ordered white all bets would have been off. Lol.

It really doesn't matter to me which car is a couple of tenths faster on the 1320. It's matters which one is the overall best one to live with every day and feels more nimple. I has an SRT8 yellow jacket and it felt like a tank.

Jeffro19 03-18-2016 08:38 AM

Here is the comparison test between the 2015 ZL1 and the 2015 Hellcat. Like someone said earlier this test showed the cars were pretty close except maybe for acceleration tests. The 2017 ZL1 will be lighter and more power. Gonna be exciting to watch them battle it out.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9WIjTBBuLp0

FastCarFanBoy 03-18-2016 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robmypro (Post 8974351)
The Hellcat is way too heavy. It has no room to put real meats in the rear.

I believe a 315 fits...305 for sure , so how wide are "real meats"?

DenverTaco07 03-18-2016 09:14 AM

Hellcat guys....coming in here talking about Hellcat doing 10.8 or whatever...

ummm - that's after the driver has changed the STOCK tires and put on DR's. It's low 11's with stock tires - which is awesome, but let's not leave out the important details.