CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=155)
-   -   Rumor: 6th gen 2014 Camaro, CTS to join Cadillac ATS on ALPHA Rear-Drive Platform (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64196)

bwnunnally 02-04-2010 09:00 PM

Rumor: 6th gen 2014 Camaro, CTS to join Cadillac ATS on ALPHA Rear-Drive Platform

DETROIT - Chevrolet's next Camaro will switch to the global Alpha platform that General Motors is developing for Cadillac's new BMW 3 Series fighter. The new Camaro is scheduled for the 2014 calendar year according to consultancy firm Grant Thornton LLP and analysis firm CSM Worldwide.

Grant Thornton director James Ricci outlined GM's rear-wheel-drive model plans in a presentation to the Automotive Press Association Thursday afternoon, on the subject of major automakers' move to more common, global platforms. He included some information GM probably would prefer hadn't gone public.

So with Alpha handling two different-sized Cadillacs and the Camaro, it would have to be a very flexible RWD platform. We expect the CTS sedan to grow about half a foot in overall length from its current 191.8 inches. Alpha will thus accommodate at least two wheelbases; the current CTS has a 113.4-inch wheelbase and the Camaro's is 112.3.

We expect the next Camaro to be lighter, to GM North American President Mark Reuss' liking, and somewhat smaller, with a supercharged or turbocharged version of the gas direct-injection 3.6-liter V-6 the SS performance engine. Less heft will enable GM's entry in the muscle car battle to better challenge the more nimble Mustang. All cars will have to be more fuel efficient to meet 2012-16 Corporate Average Fuel Economy standards, and the move in general will be to shorter overhangs and larger or unchanged wheelbases, in order to take advantage of the CAFE "footprint" formula.

GM had been considering a next-generation Camaro on the Alpha platform since before the latest model launched on the Zeta platform last year. Designed for Cadillac, though, it was considered too expensive for a sub-$30,000 (base price) sport coupe. The Grant Thornton revelation suggests that various levels of, for example, aluminum and other lightweight materials will be used, depending on whether it's a Chevy or a Cadillac.

Read more: http://wot.motortrend.com/6604864/fu...#ixzz0ecuKgXe9

Blade 02-04-2010 09:03 PM

I wonder what that Camaro will look like.

Tantalizer43 02-04-2010 09:04 PM

Interesting.... sounds about right. Probably be 2015 model year. It'd be about due for a facelift by then.

songsj 02-04-2010 10:17 PM

One thing is for sure, if the V8 goes I will be buying a 5th Gen and keeping it for summer pleasure driving, Maybe a Convertable. I do not like the sound of a turbo or supercharged 3.6 for the SS models. Unless there will be a V8 Z28. The is no repacement for displacement!!!!! Even though there are some very fast 4 and 6 cyl cars.
they just do not represent American muscle to me!!

kanys 02-04-2010 10:21 PM

Sounds good, I think 2014 MY will be good.

v6sonoma 02-04-2010 10:23 PM

Like I've said before. This could be your last chance to get a V8. of course they could always put that in a Z28.

KMPrenger 02-04-2010 11:05 PM

Well, I also am accustomed to a V8 representing American muscle, but the times are a changin! Just look at fords Ecoboost V6 in the Taurus SHO....I've read that thing is a torque monster. (although I don't think its much easier on the gas sipping than a V8) I've also read they've actually limited its power output....that its capable of more. Anyways, as much as I love the sound of a good V8, IF they could do the V6 right, I'd accept one in an SS model.

That said, I really don't feel that the V8 will go away completely in the next-gen. If anything, I think the Z-28 (or whatever the top performance model will be) will have a V-8.

The good thing from the article is the claim that weight may come down! A couple hundred pounds off would be very sweet!

Black5thgen 02-05-2010 12:28 AM

There will be a V8 if the 6th gen comes out in 2015. Look for a smaller displacement SIDI V8 making around 400hp. If the 6th gen weighs in the 3400lb. range I may pick one up instead of a 5th gen Z28. I still think the 5th gen will be the modern day classic. I doubt they'll be able to replicate the specialness of the 5th gen.

TJ91 02-05-2010 12:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Black5thgen (Post 1450747)
There will be a V8 if the 6th gen comes out in 2015. Look for a smaller displacement SIDI V8 making around 400hp. If the 6th gen weighs in the 3400lb. range I may pick one up instead of a 5th gen Z28. I still think the 5th gen will be the modern day classic. I doubt they'll be able to replicate the specialness of the 5th gen.

:word::popcorn:

JJ#48Racing 02-05-2010 04:14 AM

I'll be surprised if the Camaro gets a full redesign by MY 2015. I would have only expected a facelift at that point. I like that the weight and size is supposedly coming down, but I'll only be interested in it if it's available with a V8.

AngryAmish 02-05-2010 06:13 AM

GM made this mistake in the '80s, I doubt they'll make it again. Anyone can tell by the sales numbers which kind of engine most people buying a Camaro prefer. :)

Simply put, you don't neuter one of your best studs in the stable.

Okay. So, I don't know alot about this new platform. I've heard about it and have allready heard alot of people wanting the Camaro put on the platform. But what are the differances besides weight? How much will the dimensions of the car change, if anyone knows?

St33lsinger 02-05-2010 08:37 AM

So let me get this straight this article says thier putting a V6 in the SS??

I hope not:thumbdown:

Midnight Maro 02-05-2010 10:33 AM

I'm glad I bought my 5th gen while v8s are still an option. I have a completley upgraded supercharged v6 4th gen making as much power as my 5th gen and its still no comparison to the enjoyment of the v8 power! Simply put, I will not be upgrading to a gen 6 without a v8 option.

FirstLSK 02-05-2010 10:35 AM

:thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

Well, that will certainly make it easy for me to keep my 5th Gen.