CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=155)
-   -   ATS vs 2016 camaro (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=315348)

jshaf 08-27-2013 03:51 PM

ATS vs 2016 camaro

was hoping Fbodfather might throw us a nugget but I wander dimensions wise how close the 2016 will be to the current ATS coupe?

BaylorCamaro 08-27-2013 04:15 PM

One would think that the 6th gen should be about the same size, if not smaller. Since the ATS is a luxury car when compared to the Camaro. Luxury = more interior space. However, aren't there two different Alpha platforms? IIRC there is an Alpha+ platform which I believe is larger. SO that means the Camaro could be but on the Alpha+.

KMPrenger 08-27-2013 07:03 PM

In person the ATS is a pretty small looking car. I don't think I'd want the next Camaro to be smaller than that, but I do feel being smaller than the 5th gen is just fine.

There is an Alpha long wheel base and an Alpha short wheel base which the ATS rides on. I'm hoping for the SWB version since it will be the lighter version.

right to travel 08-27-2013 07:15 PM

is the alpha lwb for the cts? and what else would it be used for?

b4z 08-27-2013 09:13 PM

The ats is a really nice car. I drove both the 2.5 and the 2.0T. Whle I wished for more tq in the 2.0T its chassis is superb. It actually handled small road imperfections better than the larger cts, and it steering and cornering where better as well. It will make a great platform for the next Camaro.

KMPrenger 08-27-2013 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by right to travel (Post 6953450)

Yep, its in the new CTS. Not sure what else.

MikeT 08-28-2013 07:09 PM

The choice to put Camaro on Alpha LWB instead of plain ol' Alpha would imply keeping the Camaro the same overall length as it is or possibly enlarging it.

I have no idea what they'll do, but it's worth noting that there have been rumors of the next Camaro downsizing a bit (not enlarging). No idea whether such rumors have any merit. There have also been reports (credibility unknown) that the new Mustang is downsizing SUBSTANTIALLY, with some reports claiming an overall length in the 173"-178" range. Thus, the next Mustang could be slightly smaller than an ATS.The reasons for such a move reportedly are: (1) weight reduction; (2) smaller vehicles more suited to international sales. Not to say that GM should or shouldn't go in the same direction, but the Mustang's direction can't be totally ignored either.

102SS 08-28-2013 07:15 PM

I am pretty sure he is not allowed to talk about future product at all.

jshaf 08-28-2013 09:34 PM

honestly the spy shots of the new stang look like the car is anemic, if it is between the size of the current 5th gen and the new stang I am good with that. just give it a healthy torq and I am game!

FenwickHockey65 08-28-2013 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jshaf (Post 6952735)
was hoping Fbodfather might throw us a nugget but I wander dimensions wise how close the 2016 will be to the current ATS coupe?

Well technically there won't be an ATS Coupe until I think next year.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BaylorCamaro (Post 6952811)
One would think that the 6th gen should be about the same size, if not smaller. Since the ATS is a luxury car when compared to the Camaro. Luxury = more interior space. However, aren't there two different Alpha platforms? IIRC there is an Alpha+ platform which I believe is larger. SO that means the Camaro could be but on the Alpha+.

Camaro's probably going on SWB Alpha.

Quote:

Originally Posted by right to travel (Post 6953450)

Yep.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 102SS (Post 6957082)
I am pretty sure he is not allowed to talk about future product at all.

Yep.

All Star 08-28-2013 10:14 PM

I'm pretty sure there is no explicitly short or long wheelbase Alpha platform. It should be able to scale to somewhere in the middle, if necessary.

Gibroni 08-28-2013 10:21 PM

Which platform is the SS sedan based on. It's possible the Camaro becomes a coupe version of that car.

SPCBA 08-28-2013 10:39 PM

The ATS is a phenominal car. blast to drive the t version. It looks small but once in side it feels spacious...atleast for me a proportional 6 foot tall guy.

Last i read there was 2 versions of the chassis. And we dont know if there will be a gen II of one these versions built for next gen gm cars...kind of like how the 5 th gen camaro is on the second interation of the chassis it is on.

oklapike 08-28-2013 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gibroni (Post 6957834)
Which platform is the SS sedan based on. It's possible the Camaro becomes a coupe version of that car.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPCBA (Post 6957879)
Last i read there was 2 versions of the chassis. And we dont know if there will be a gen II of one these versions built for next gen gm cars...kind of like how the 5 th gen camaro is on the second interation of the chassis it is on.

Right, and the SS sedan is bascially the third iteration of that chassis (Commodore VE/G8 were Zeta 1, Camaro is Zeta 1.5 and Commodore VF/SS are Zeta 2). I'd guess that if there's a second-gen SS sedan, it'd be built on LWB Alpha (like the new CTS).