Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   oil change question on LS3 (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=273735)

pocketcthulhu 01-28-2013 03:47 PM

oil change question on LS3

So I was flipping through the owner's manual looking for info on oil changes and I might be blind but I'm not seeing the point of when it needs to be changed, the dealership stuck the little come back and give us a wad of cash at 8000 miles sticker and I'm currently sitting at 8,950 but the oil life indicator reads 51% anyone have some solid info on this? changing 8 quarts of oil every 3k miles is gonna SUCK. :mad0260:

http://www.chevrolet.com/content/dam...aro_owners.pdf

Bo White 01-28-2013 04:01 PM

I change mine at 5k miles or around 50% OLM.

axis 01-28-2013 04:05 PM

Some people just can't get past the old addage of every 3-5k miles. When we were all running dino oil, that would hold true but with todays synthetics, you can stretch that considerably longer. Some will change it more often but I read where Mobil 1 is suppose to be good for over 15k miles. That is for everyday DD driving. If you race often, you should change it more often. 8-10k miles should be fine for most situations. Another key is to get a good filter.

pocketcthulhu 01-28-2013 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axis (Post 6094191)
Some people just can't get past the old addage of every 3-5k miles. When we were all running dino oil, that would hold true but with todays synthetics, you can stretch that considerably longer. Some will change it more often but I read where Mobil 1 is suppose to be good for over 15k miles. That is for everyday DD driving. If you race often, you should change it more often. 8-10k miles should be fine for most situations. Another key is to get a good filter.

I don't like changing it sooner than 5k miles but at 70 bucks a change Unless it's required I am So not changing it every 3k.
what's the standard oil dealers put in these? like I was saying I wasn't having much luck digging through that manual.

Mouse6.2 01-28-2013 04:08 PM

Depends on how much you drive and where you drive, like mostly highway or mostly city or mixed. I would say every 8k miles is a good point in time to change out the oil. If you really want to know how far you can go and if the OLM is correct, send a sample off to get analyzed, like to BlackStone Labs. They will let you know how long you can go on an oil change.

Most keep it simple and just change out at 5k miles, make it easy to remember. Running a quality synthetic will allow you to go longer. But again it depends on your driving style and conditions. Someone that drives 30 miles to work and back on the highway can go longer on their oil changes than someone that drives 5 miles to work and back.

GM wants you to go by the OLM. If you do and you are going to go longer than 8k miles I would at least run a synthetic like AMSOIL or Mobil 1 Extended Performance. Most dealers just put in a synthetic blend dexos1 oil.

litle88 01-28-2013 04:11 PM

I change it every 3k miles and don't believe the 5,10k miles BS about oil being ok.
Oh and please don't use Mobil1. I Use Amsoil on the L99 and Vr-1 on the ws6. Search for the oil thread it's here on the first 2 pages for info.

pocketcthulhu 01-28-2013 04:11 PM

I live about 6 miles from work on the other end of the freeway, about the only time I leave the Rock is to visit my parents who are 30 min's away by freeway, and a tank of gas lasts me Almost two weeks. So yea I don't exactly stress the engine a lot.

litle88 01-28-2013 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axis (Post 6094191)

Lol whaaaa you say?
Axis I love you BUT kill yourself for that one lmao.

JK

Mouse6.2 01-28-2013 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pocketcthulhu (Post 6094214)
I live about 6 miles from work on the other end of the freeway, about the only time I leave the Rock is to visit my parents who are 30 min's away by freeway, and a tank of gas lasts me Almost two weeks. So yea I don't exactly stress the engine a lot.

That driving style/condition I would not let it go past 8k miles. At least we have 2 gallons of oil in our sumps which helps make the oil last longer than smaller sump engines.

litle88 01-28-2013 04:14 PM

6 mile drive can be stressful due to the fact that "IF" your not warming the engine long enough the oil properties are not working to protect your engine the way it should be.

pocketcthulhu 01-28-2013 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mouse6.2 (Post 6094207)
send a sample off to get analyzed, like to BlackStone Labs. They will let you know how long you can go on an oil change.

Hmmm I might just do that, seems very reasonable.

Bo White 01-28-2013 04:17 PM

Mercedes Benz use Mobil 1 and go 15k between services.

Mouse6.2 01-28-2013 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bo White (Post 6094238)
Mercedes Benz use Mobil 1 and go 15k between services.

They use Mobil 1 Extended Performance. Not the Mobil 1. Two different oils.

Mouse6.2 01-28-2013 04:23 PM

Case in point, my mother-in-law didn't put very many miles on her 95 Lincoln Mark VIII, it held 7 qts, at 3k miles in 1 year time frame, I sent a sample off to get analyzed. It came back that the oil was shot. Short distance driving is some of the worst conditions for an engine. Especially if you don't get it up to operating temp as litle88 has stated.