CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=155)
-   -   GM needs to listen to the consumers more. (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=346764)

DSX_Camaro 03-10-2014 10:27 PM

GM needs to listen to the consumers more.

(Not that it applies to SS guys) But us V6 guys really got screwed when they rolled out the LFX engine and decided to integrate the exhaust manifold. Not having long tube headers is awful.

You certainly didn't see Ford taking away long tubes for the Mustang V6...

SPCBA 03-10-2014 11:40 PM

GM has been on a roll me thinks. Go GM go.

crysalis_01 03-11-2014 12:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DSX_Camaro (Post 7485166)
(Not that it applies to SS guys) But us V6 guys really got screwed when they rolled out the LFX engine and decided to integrate the exhaust manifold. Not having long tube headers is awful.

but...you do see them starting to phase out the V6 Mustang all together. although in this particular case the 2.3T should be an all around better performer than the 3.7

DSX_Camaro 03-11-2014 09:43 AM

The 2.3T is designed to be a revived SVO Mustang. They're also going to revive the Mach 1 and have a GT350 instead of a GT500 supposedly... They want more models.

crysalis_01 03-11-2014 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DSX_Camaro (Post 7485920)
The 2.3T is designed to be a revived SVO Mustang. They're also going to revive the Mach 1 and have a GT350 instead of a GT500 supposedly... They want more models.

Actually the 2.3 is the base engine, everywhere in the world but in the US. we kept the 3.7 mostly for entry cost reasons and rental car fleets. and Ford has said they will not have a special name for the ecoboost model (e.g. no SVO tag).

as to the mach and gt350 there definitely is a SVT product in development. we'll see how that turns out.

/thread jack

KMPrenger 03-11-2014 12:51 PM

The LFX not accepting headers is a bit of a bummer in some ways, but in reality I feel the LFX is an all around better and more mature version of the LLT.

LFX already starts with a HP advantage as it is . By the time you throw on high flow cats on the LFX versus LT headers on the LLT your basically even, if not still slighly ahead with the LFX.

Now add in the ability of the LFX to be tuned easier, along with reliability changes that were likely made to keep the timing chain from going out early and what not and I'd gladly take the LFX over my LLT (as long as i can keep my color lol)

The LFX is going to be phased out over the next year or two for what we hear is a new V6 called the "LGX". Not much information out about this engine yet.

Ford has chosen to use the turbo 4 as a base engine, and it will not get a new designated name over the base V6. Based on what I've read, the V6 may only last another year or two in the Mustang before you see it gone for good....unless the V6 sells better than Ford predicts.

As for GM, honestly I'll be a little surprised if they don't offer a turbo 4 as well, but I expect to see this next gen V6 in the 6th gen Camaro. I have a feeling this next gen V6 will be a very advanced engine, with all the goodies the LFX has (direct injection, cam phasing) along with cylinder shutoff and other fuel saving technology. I'd love to see a 3.6 - 3.8 liter V6 with all of the above technology. You could get great highway MPG with the cylinder shutoff, but then still be able to push 340 - 350HP with a decent displacement. Thats more HP than the stock turbo 4 will make, but I don't see any way the V6 could match the turbo 4 on low end torque.

Michael2000 03-19-2014 12:33 PM

A turbo 4 is hardly a replacement for a V6 in my opinion. They are just too rough.

Michael

PYROLYSIS 03-19-2014 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DSX_Camaro (Post 7485166)

And yet you bought one anyway. You're sending GM mixed messages.

MBS 03-19-2014 04:59 PM

All I know is it better be faster than any other V6 out there ,

The_Blur 03-19-2014 05:14 PM

I don't think the engineering of the LFX was a deliberate attempt to hurt V6 guys. There's a lot more that goes into engine design than whether enthusiasts will like it.

maddoggyusa 03-19-2014 05:28 PM

99% of the people who buy v6 Camaros won't be modding the engine. Plus it's GM's global V6 engine.

El Rey 03-19-2014 07:33 PM

Yeah I don't see how adding more horsepower and making it more efficient could be a bad thing.

Bhobbs 03-19-2014 08:46 PM

Wasn't the LFX head designed that way to simplify adding turbos? I'm pretty sure the LF3 turbo mounts directly to the heads.

KMPrenger 03-19-2014 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bhobbs (Post 7509080)
Wasn't the LFX head designed that way to simplify adding turbos? I'm pretty sure the LF3 turbo mounts directly to the heads.

Not saying they didn't have the LF3 in mind when the LFX made its debut...but it wasn't designed that way specifically for adding turbos. The exhaust outlets, along with other small changes from the LLT were made to improve airflow and efficiency. It resulted in a modest power bump and peak torque coming on a bit sooner.

The LF3 (the twin turbo you speak of) is pretty similar to the LFX in that it is derived from it, but the LF3 has many internal changes and uses lots of different external parts as well.