CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=155)
-   -   Is the paint quality really that bad?? (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=504097)

RobD1 08-06-2017 11:56 AM

Is the paint quality really that bad??

Hi all.

Been reading the forums for a few months now and have gathered lots of valuable info.. so thanks to all who contribute.

I'm purchasing a new car sometime this month and have it narrowed down to a 2016 v6 Challenger sxt plus or a 2016 v6 Camaro rs with npp.

I had all but discarded the idea of getting the challenger after reading about the improvements made to the 6 gen camaro rs. Much more modern platform than the challenger, more power, less weight, better handling, bad ass exhaust.. great car for the money imo. Pretty much a no brainer.

That said, I've recently been reading about the apparently low quality of the paint on these new camaros and it's causing me some hesitation. Actually, it's kind of a deal breaker for me. I'm not a huge speed or horsepower guy like many of you.. I just want an awesome looking car with enough power for normal driving. Looks are high on the priority list for me. I certainly don't want to drop 30k on a car and have it be full of rock dings, swirl marks, and other imperfections within a couple of years. I take good care of my vehicles and my 2010 Camry still has impeccable paint condition. I also don't want to buy a car and then have to go drop 2k more in paint protection. That's crazy to me.

Help me out here.. am I worrying about this too much? Are the issues over stated? I LOVE the new camaro and think Chevy hit this one out of the park but to have a crap paint job on it is unforgivable imo. Its the most important visual aspect of the car.

I'd appreciate any guidance, opinions, or experiences you guys could offer?

Thanks for reading.

TunaMelt 08-06-2017 12:01 PM

You have to consider the source. You're reading the opinions that are generally more critical. When you buy this next car your standards will raise too and any little thing will bother you. If you checked your Camry you'll have chips all through the bumper and lower rockers. I will say the orange peel is kinda bad but almost all vehicles have it now. The paint is fine to me and the cars look beautiful in person. My '06 Tacoma was the worst paint I've ever had on a vehicle. I think the Mosaic Black had some issues at one point or another.

Wierd Harold 08-06-2017 12:11 PM

Had some minor paint imperfections that dealer fixed before I took delivery. Camaro is awesome,love it .All makes can have flaws.Just make sure you do a thorough inspection before you sign final paperwork,make em fix it first,then take delivery.P/s make sure it is daylight out.

Soleil 08-06-2017 12:12 PM

In General the paint is not really state of the art if you compare it to the eurpean paint from Mercedes or BMW. The paint thickness nowadays is much lower than years ago and now we have water based paint instead of thinner. Concerning rock chips you will have them anyway. Add a stone protection wrap. In my opinion the best way to protect the paint.

LT4Greg 08-06-2017 12:19 PM

Don't let what you have been reading about some Camaros with paint issues stop you from buying one! I agree with Tuna Melt about the posts that some of the Camaros have issues but most are very good. If you drive your car you will have chips, dings and scratches. If you don't want these issues then put the car away in the garage and never drive it on the street. I consider those things to be war wounds and normal. Buy that Camaro and enjoy driving it! Good luck!

tman0327 08-06-2017 12:30 PM

Paint quality on Corvettes and Camaros is an issue, just be sure you are well informed before you make a decision. A quick search of Camaro and Corvette forums will give you alot of valuable info.

Joe's_cool_1le 08-06-2017 01:17 PM

You see my post about the circle marks from factory. They did buff out nicely though.
http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showth...t=paint&page=2

Realist 08-06-2017 01:48 PM

I think the OP brought up a valid concern. I didn't care much about the rock chips on 5th Gen 1LE I had because I leased it. Pondering the purchase of a 6 gen ZL1 at $60k plus and I too have a major concern of the paint thickness and rock chip possibilities. I have also seen many posts about similar concerns and the various ways to protect the paint all at additional cost. If he is concerned now, I think he should plan to protect the more common areas. The challenger may need as well.

CruzySS 08-06-2017 01:51 PM

I would recommend rock guards for your car. They are cheap and easy to install. Don't waste your money on gm splash guards

IMadeYouReadThis 08-06-2017 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CruzySS (Post 9853378)
I would recommend rock guards for your car. They are cheap and easy to install. Don't waste your money on gm splash guards

Could you throw up a link for some that you recommend

Rustydaytons 08-06-2017 02:35 PM

If u have ever wet sanded and buffed a vehicle you will develop an eye for things and learn that gm vehicles and Ford, are covered in texture from the factory. Next time u are out next to a brand new GMC truck in black look at the reflection on the door, u will see it is blurry.

ChevyRules 08-06-2017 02:37 PM

The paint is definitely on the thin side. If you're concerned about swirls, request the dealer does not wash it and take it to a good detailer.

Rustydaytons 08-06-2017 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soleil (Post 9853246)
In General the paint is not really state of the art if you compare it to the eurpean paint from Mercedes or BMW. The paint thickness nowadays is much lower than years ago and now we have water based paint instead of thinner. Concerning rock chips you will have them anyway. Add a stone protection wrap. In my opinion the best way to protect the paint.

Thick paint is not necessarily a good thing. I laughed when I hear someone say their car has 8 coats of clear. The paint and clear are designed to flex a tad. When u pile it on, it will result in cracks and chips.

Rustydaytons 08-06-2017 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChevyRules (Post 9853428)
The paint is definitely on the thin side. If you're concerned about swirls, request the dealer does not wash it and take it to a good detailer.

YouTube is a very powerful tool these days. Why take to a detailer and pay 300 when you can what you need for 500 and learn to do yourself with much more satisfying results.