CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=155)
-   -   My Design Idea for the 2016 Camaro (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=310821)

nfl46 08-05-2013 07:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kleeeb (Post 6856048)
My favorite rendition so far. The only one that I have found that I may like equally is ... Reminds me of one of my favorite cars, the Audi S7. :love:

I like this, but too furturistic for a 2016 Chevy model. I don't think chevy is that brave. Ford would do something like this before they do.

Wizard1183 08-05-2013 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doc (Post 6858271)
And go in which direction style-wise?

Well Doc... thats the million dollar question. lol

Your drawing and these are my opinions: the rear, I am in agreement from the side view it is mustang material. The rear, while it is a sunfire look, it can be worked with. From the side, Id make it round off from the rear window to the end of the car similar to what a 67/70 camaro looks like without the spoiler. Then you add the spoiler to it. The rear bumper, make it a little more sharper. This is all from the side. Then, make the rear lights less of an sideways triangle look and perhaps a little more defined somehow. How? Im unsure.

The front needs to be wider at the headlights and broader. Dont make it too small of a vent between the headlights. The headlights shouldnt be too skinny or to linear. Give them some roundness. Its your design I understand and respect. Im not a fan of triangular or linear lights. It should keep an old school style approach but a little more refined. Also from the side view, make the front straighter up & down rather than that angled look on the bumper. A slight angle above the bumper is good. But the overall approach should be something like "< " as the front of the car but with a lot less of an angle as Im using. The center is where the point should be angled towards the rear fo the car on the top and bottom of the front end. These are my thoughts. Or mayby a sharper angle at th lower end toward the tire. but straighter on the upper end?

EDIT: I just noticed youre drawings redesigned. I really like the look of your #5 & 5b drawings with 70s rendition on the rear. On the front end, I like the round headlights approach, widen it a bit and instead of how the 5th gen "opening" is for headlights and grille, make it follow the headlight edges. Hard to explain what I mean but it would look similar to how the opening is on the sides of headlights of a 67. Also too much body and not enough grille abover or below the bumper. The car should have planety of "breathable" space.In the center between the headlights, you could come up with it a little I guess? But have it angled on the bottom of the bumper towards the tire to be sharper than above IMO. Also as stated above, the top rear needs to be angled or rounded off lower than the rear window, then add the spoiler. Not a huge dropoff, but a little lower. Also on the side view shot, I noticed from the trunk corner towards the conter of the bumper, the angle to too far out imo. Make it a little less of an angle outard. Not straight up and down, but not so much of an angle. Youre spoiler can define the rear end toward the center of the bumper like so "/" maybe?have it go in then out at the center of bumper and then back towards the rear tire? Youre def on the right track though.

FenwickHockey65 08-05-2013 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doc (Post 6858271)
And go in which direction style-wise?

A more futuristic approach with some heritage cues.

The retro theme is dead. Thankfully.

KMPrenger 08-05-2013 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 (Post 6858896)

But thats what the 5th gen is. A futuristic take on a classic car.

Not calling you out Fen, just making a statement...

The 5th gen was/is clearly a futuristic, aggressive modern interpretation of a classic car. It is not purely "retro" Look at the Challenger...that car looks most like its earlier self than the 2005 Mustang did of its earlier self, and the 2010 Camaro was even farther away than either of those two from its former self.

Again, sorry if its just me, but I strongly feel that retro does not describe the Camaro. Why do you think all the haters call it a "cartoon" car? B/c is has the bold look, the big lines, and the over the top feel that makes it stand out.

So lets say they create a new design for the 6th gen Camaro that doesn't look like the 5th gen. Thats fine, but I guarantee if they don't incorporate some of the classic lines that make a Camaro a Camaro people will b!itch and say "its not Camaro!". Hell...I would! So Chevy is going to have to incorporate something to help us identify with the car.

So when that happens...do we call it "retro"? No.

We don't call Porsche Boxter's or 911s 'retro', but that design is as old as time. Instead, they stuck with a design that just works.

Doc 08-05-2013 10:47 AM

Quote:

Too vague. What heritage cues? Roofline? Front? Rear? Traditionally "futuristic" has meant lower profile, wedge-like shapes, laid-down reclined seating, etc. The practical realities of manufacturing, compliance with crash safety, combined with comfortable ingress/egress puts limitations on what you can realistically design. No matter the shape and style you have to keep in mind that under that shape you have to put an engine compartment with an engine and all the other goodies, plus a full interior for 4 people that can seat 4 adults. That's a Camaro.

More futuristic in what way? Body shapes? Lower profile? Light shapes?

The whole point of this styling exercise is to do more than just complain and criticize. Just saying "don't like it, looks like a Prelude" doesn't give the Camaro team ANY clue which way to go. I want to contribute some positive constructive feedback so (this is for everyone) if you can, please try to be at least somewhat descriptive as to what kind of shapes you'd like to see.

And thank you for contributing to the discussion! :)

Wizard1183 08-05-2013 10:48 AM

Quote:

Too futuristic will make it undesireable though. You cant say retro is dead. Look at the sales of the 5th gen. Look at the amount of stangs and challengers on the road. There's a reason WHY sales have been so good. You cant ignore the fact that THAT is why the amount of cars sold as they did. it was because they were retro. Youre going to scrap the whole retro thing and hope you can win and perhaps gain even more sale? Highly unlikely. Its got to be a smaller rendition of the 5th gen body, Just redefined for a more futuristic look. What look will they go for? Hard to say. 2nd gen? 3rd gen? 4th gen? Which nuances will they use from which era? I'd think a 2nd gen approach isnt too far-fetched. What you have to understand is that GM should know is that for MANY 5th gen owners or camaro fan base to give up their cars, it HAS to deliver soemthing more promising. It cant be umpteen HP in a crappy package and hope it sells. It HAS to look almost just as good, equal to, or better. Otherwise its no use. To me the most popular choice since the numbers have shown, is to take the 5th gen and finesse it, redefine it a little on a smaller pltform. Perhaps a 2nd gen approach is the way to go? No one cares if the body itself doesnt change. Its the front and rear end of the car ppl are wondering about. I'd prefer it to have a little more curve than sharpness to it. Though this alpha platform is not that much smaller than our current cars. Its a little shorter, but nothing extremely significant.

Doc 08-05-2013 10:55 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a quick revision with a re-proportioned side view, revised front and back going with the traditional round lighting.
Attachment 541330

I'm working on a more futuristic side view and will hopefully have something to post up later tonight when I get home from work.

Wizard1183 08-05-2013 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doc (Post 6859155)
Here's a quick revision with a re-proportioned side view, revised front and back going with the traditional round lighting.
Attachment 541330

I'm working on a more futuristic side view and will hopefully have something to post up later tonight when I get home from work.

I love the rear of it! I'd say its perfect. The front end opening, how about the edges go more along the lines of (______) than the way its 5th gen shaped with the headlights a bit larger? Headlights may be the right size too though. The parking lamp/blinkers in the grille. Im trying to figure what would look good besides the dashes. Its 68ish I guess? Id say try circles maybe? The lower facia lamps, make them a little smaller in width maybe so that the upper and lower grilles can be more prevalent? At least the lower portion where air will enter below the bumper, make it much bigger and wider.I could be wrong, but american cars dont try to ignore the fact that they have a large space for a grille. Besides cars like the vette, I think they should have a larger looking grille imo. How about a stock full functioning front splitter as well? The hood, instead of sharp corners inside it, how anout rounding them? If you made the lower portion of the facia have a "larger mouth" and have it angled back towards the car then outwards where it begins to become the front splitter. not a huge angle but a little one maybe? see how you like it like that? As for the side of the car, I'm unsure about features to recommend right now.

Angrybird 12 08-05-2013 11:20 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Doc (Post 6859155)
Attachment 541330

You got it, on the rear quarter panel maybe a functional gill opening instead of a scoop, either that or nothing at all there or even a smaller scoop on the rocker like the late model 3 gen Camaro had.

FenwickHockey65 08-05-2013 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KMPrenger (Post 6859119)
But thats what the 5th gen is. A futuristic take on a classic car.

Not calling you out Fen, just making a statement...

The 5th gen was/is clearly a futuristic, aggressive modern interpretation of a classic car. It is not purely "retro" Look at the Challenger...that car looks most like its earlier self than the 2005 Mustang did of its earlier self, and the 2010 Camaro was even farther away than either of those two from its former self.

Again, sorry if its just me, but I strongly feel that retro does not describe the Camaro. Why do you think all the haters call it a "cartoon" car? B/c is has the bold look, the big lines, and the over the top feel that makes it stand out.

So lets say they create a new design for the 6th gen Camaro that doesn't look like the 5th gen. Thats fine, but I guarantee if they don't incorporate some of the classic lines that make a Camaro a Camaro people will b!itch and say "its not Camaro!". Hell...I would! So Chevy is going to have to incorporate something to help us identify with the car.

So when that happens...do we call it "retro"? No.

We don't call Porsche Boxter's or 911s 'retro', but that design is as old as time. Instead, they stuck with a design that just works.

That's not what I mean. Keep things like the wide front grille, quad element taillights, etc, but a ground-up design needs to happen soon. Not a modern take on a '69.

It's true that the 5th gen design has done well in the marketplace but it's time to move on. The rest of the industry has largely abandoned the neo-retro design fad that came up in the mid-2000s.

FenwickHockey65 08-05-2013 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doc (Post 6855962)

Honestly this is probably my favorite of the designs so far.

The only thing I'd correct is the fenders. Visually from the front, they're too wide. The side markers shouldn't really be that visible from the front view.

KMPrenger 08-05-2013 11:51 AM

The car definitely looks smaller now due to the larger greenhouse opening...I knew that would do the trick. It doesn't need to be as large as say, the Mustang and yours isn't.

But yes, the design envelope needs to be pushed more on the sides. Not sure what to do there, but something needs to set it more apart from 5th gen. Whats so damn sexy about the 5th gen, is from the side you have two swooping flowing curves that make up the full length of the car...the shorter curve for the back and then a longer curve from the back of the door to the very front of the hood. Its just gorgeous.

I like the change you made to the rear, adding a hard line to each side which looks nice and would really stand out on the metallic colors. It also looks like the butt was shortened up a bit which is good.

I'm not a big fan of the small round tail lights. I realize others here like them, and they have heritage, but I feel like its just too simple or too small to do anything "cool" with. I feel some sort of LED glow should be at play, but there could be a million different designs for that.

KMPrenger 08-05-2013 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 (Post 6859409)
Honestly this is probably my favorite of the designs so far.

The only thing I'd correct is the fenders. Visually from the front, they're too wide. The side markers shouldn't really be that visible from the front view.

Agree.

Angrybird 12 08-05-2013 11:58 AM

One thing about designing your own is unless you have all the information available to the new safety standards it's going to be hatd to come up with a design on your own that looks good and meet all the safety requirements for the next 5 or so years. I know the pedestrian impact standards are supposed to be tougher. So that could have an effect on front end shape, hood clearances ect.

Wizard1183 08-05-2013 11:58 AM

How about something of this look? Its just a very rough draft as Im at work and its all I go to play with lol

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l8...183/photo1.jpg

oklapike 08-05-2013 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doc (Post 6855962)
I could lower the belt line and raise the roof level as you suggested but then it starts to lose that hunkered down muscle look. I don't know the mechanical dimensions of the new platform so it's hard to guess at what the limitations are for proportions.

For what it's worth, since it's already been confirmed that the next Camaro is going to be on Alpha (and widely assumed to be the SWB version). I'd start with the dimensions of the ATS and work from there.

Rod Knock 08-05-2013 01:30 PM

Here's what I'd like to see based ona 2016 Camaro design concept:

http://img850.imageshack.us/img850/3...essblackbs.jpg

http://img199.imageshack.us/img199/8...onvertible.jpg

scubadoo7 08-05-2013 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GunnyG (Post 6853802)

Me too. :clap2: That's one sleek and sexy Camaro design.

Wizard1183 08-05-2013 06:35 PM

Yea but it needs work. The rear tail lamps aren't great. It needs a little change on the rear. The front of George's concept is appealing but I don't like the large bumper strap. It needs more breathable space at the bottom of it. It's very sleek though.

Doc 08-05-2013 08:08 PM

This is all good discussion and feedback everyone; exactly what I was hoping for!

Doc 08-05-2013 09:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Seems like this version is the one most favorable so I made some changes based on feedback. Believe it or not quite a bit was changed.
Attachment 541689

I reduced the width of the car; especially the front fenders. Changed to the split horizontal stylized turn signals in the front. Put the Chevy logo in the center of the grill and moved the SS to the side. Because of reducing the width of the car the tires aren't quite as wide now but the wheel well extensions are more radical. Lower opening in the front is a bit wider. LED running lights in the lower front cutouts are not as wide. Revised the lower rear quarter panel scoops on the side view.

I think there may have been some other things I did but I can't remember right now. At any rate quite a few subtle changes were made.

KMPrenger 08-05-2013 09:59 PM

Looking good.

Not sure if you removed them on purpose, but you lost the hard lines in the rear from your last image that I thought was cool. Something about the rear end just looks a bit bland to me....not the blackened area or the lights, but the white area. I just feel like something small, but noticeable should be there to break that up.

In the front, I'm thinking if you widened the raised part of the bottom of the upper grill it may look a bit better.

Funny thing is, is that the basic shape of that grill opening would be very close to the 2014 which I don't care for. Actually, its not the shape of the 2014 front opening I don't like...its what they did with the headlights and grille inside of it. Not to mention I don't care for the new fog lights or the housings either.

FenwickHockey65 08-05-2013 10:01 PM

Might just be artistic license you took, but the front Chevrolet badge needs to be much more prominent if you're trying to achieve a production look.

PYROLYSIS 08-05-2013 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kleeeb (Post 6856048)
My favorite rendition so far. The only one that I have found that I may like equally is ... Reminds me of one of my favorite cars, the Audi S7. :love:

Sorry but don't get me started on this monstrosity. It looks like a Bentleymaro. Yuck.

PYROLYSIS 08-05-2013 10:13 PM

As far as Doc's design I really like the spoiler that looks like it is missing a piece in the middle. I can't think of a car that has one like that and it fits with the rest of the design.