CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off-topic Discussions (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Over The Hill Gang , Old Farts with Young Cars (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51820)

69supersport396 01-01-2017 09:46 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Happy New Year gang!

We spent a rainy evening in Disneyland. It was fun, but cold. Been a very long time since I had to layer.

Trickskier 01-06-2017 05:43 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Happy Friday Everyone! :happy0180: Going to be COLD in Jacksonville this weekend --- BRRRRRRRRR!!!

Attachment 843026

69supersport396 01-06-2017 01:13 PM

Happy Friday everyone!

Auction drivers meeting today. It's almost that time of year again! Cars, cars, cars! :clap2:

Trickskier 01-06-2017 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 69supersport396 (Post 9491008)
Happy Friday everyone!

Auction drivers meeting today. It's almost that time of year again! Cars, cars, cars! :clap2:

Have FUN Rick! I'll be watching. Going to the Barrett-Jackson in Palm Beach, FL in April.

RubyCamaro 01-07-2017 09:39 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Pic is the temp here yesterday when I left home. I drove to work in a hard snow but no problems. Car sat in the parking lot in these temps & snowing for about 5 hours. When I left roads were ice covered. I was just creeping along. Got to the end of the first road decelerated to maybe 2-4 MPH just off the gas before gently braking. Heard an awful crunching noise & started sliding. No ABS as I was going too slowly. It felt more like the brakes were frozen than just tires sliding on ice so I released & gently reapplied the brakes a few times & finally stopped. I gently pumped the brakes a few times to test them on a dry part of the road & they were fine. No further issues on the way home. I daily drove my Camaro the first couple years & in snow/ice many times without problems. Never felt or heard the sensation of this event. Is it likely that the brakes were frozen?

Mr Twisty 01-07-2017 11:51 AM

The ABS works even at 2mph... the thing that makes it strange, ABS doesn't know how to feather the brakes, it only knows "full on" and "full off" and does it very quickly. When you're going slow on ice it feels like the brakes are malfunctioning.

Having said that, yes your front brakes could possibly have been locked up, but then you wouldn't be able to steer. If it's FWD, the backs could be frozen but the car would be tail happy, like a dog about to get a treat.

I would venture a guess, the only thing that changed from your past experiences, this time it was so slick you could hardly stand up on it. When it's super cold you can get a slight amount of grip on ice, when it's close to 32deg or the sun is out, and there's a bit of water on top of the ice, that's when things get crazy slick.

edit: I re-read your post, you may have had a brake or two that was frozen in the open position, or ice in-between the pad and rotor, and when you braked it cracked up the ice.

RubyCamaro 01-07-2017 12:59 PM

Kind of what i was thinking. Sending you a PM. Read.

RubyCamaro 01-07-2017 04:05 PM

I know a secret!

Mr Twisty 01-07-2017 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RubyCamaro (Post 9492621)
Kind of what i was thinking. Sending you a PM. Read.

:w00t:
Quote:

Originally Posted by RubyCamaro (Post 9492914)
I know a secret!

:smoking:

Regarding ice on brakes, semi's still use drum brakes and when the parking brake is set it locks all five axles, not just one or two. If a driver was running in rain then stops and sets his wet brakes for the night the pads freeze to the drums. Occasionally in the winter you'll see long skid marks where the trailer axles were locked but the driver didn't realize it and drove away :sm0:

A couple weeks ago in Kansas a driver blew four of his trailer tires, pulled them till they popped!

When they're frozen and you pull forward till they break free it makes a pretty good bang, may have been what you experienced.

RubyCamaro 01-07-2017 08:12 PM

Fest bound!!!! Can't wait. How many Ol' Farts going?

arod55 01-07-2017 09:22 PM

Not this one, to far to drive from San Diego.

Mr Twisty 01-07-2017 10:05 PM

I'll know in July .....

Trickskier 01-08-2017 07:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RubyCamaro (Post 9493309)
Fest bound!!!! Can't wait. How many Ol' Farts going?

I'm going to try to make it......:biggrin:

Trickskier 01-08-2017 07:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RubyCamaro (Post 9492330)
Pic is the temp here yesterday when I left home. I drove to work in a hard snow but no problems. Car sat in the parking lot in these temps & snowing for about 5 hours. When I left roads were ice covered. I was just creeping along. Got to the end of the first road decelerated to maybe 2-4 MPH just off the gas before gently braking. Heard an awful crunching noise & started sliding. No ABS as I was going too slowly. It felt more like the brakes were frozen than just tires sliding on ice so I released & gently reapplied the brakes a few times & finally stopped. I gently pumped the brakes a few times to test them on a dry part of the road & they were fine. No further issues on the way home. I daily drove my Camaro the first couple years & in snow/ice many times without problems. Never felt or heard the sensation of this event. Is it likely that the brakes were frozen?

That's scary!!! Glad you made it home safe!