CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=155)
-   -   How Will GM Repeat Success with 2016 6th Gen Camaro? Al Oppenheiser Weighs In (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=209699)

deryk 03-15-2012 04:29 PM

I agree with the evolutionary approach.

Kind of like what Audi did from the first gen to second gen TT. The first one was such a hit, so they didn't mess *too* much with the overall form- just some modern styling cues and body lines here and there.

That said, GM's got their work cut out for them. Like a previous poster mentioned, Ford's going to come out swinging. Has anybody seen the 2013 Mustang on their site? Sweet baby jesus...

pincoin 03-15-2012 04:35 PM

Its going to a tough job to top the 5th gen. Would be too much pressure on me!

jkchambless 03-15-2012 04:41 PM

6th gen should be the flying car we've all been waiting for.

Cpanthers85 03-15-2012 04:43 PM

As long as my headers and supercharger will bolt right in... I'll be happy. PLEASE NO ECOTECS IN THE CAMARO!!! I dont care if it's turbo charged.

GM Should just offer different engines to get around CAFE regulations and charge a gas guzzler tax on 5.7L/400HP or Above

1) A high gas mileage V6 matted to a 7speed auto
2) A performance V6
3) A gas mileage V8 matted to a 7spped Auto
4) A 302 Z28
5) 6.2L (or 5.7L if they have too..) SS
6) ZL1

jshaf 03-15-2012 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr Jkel (Post 4649304)
I could care less what a Mustang does...I like the Camaro and that is what I bought and would buy again. I do like Russell's thought of a total retro....1st Gens are just Bad Assed

when I see the resto-modded 1969's at barret Jackson or Mecum I get all dreamy....resto-modded 69 mixed with a little 5th gen and you might have something:thumbsup:

Rangore 03-15-2012 06:20 PM

The new Mustang concept I've seen floating around looks very strongly towards current Camaro styling...what does that say about where Mustang is going. Chasing in styling.

I also don't want to see a turbo 4 cyl engine in a Camaro...V6 should be the smallest. I am not sure what they can do, but it definitely should be unique and not blend in with cars on the road. I like that my Camaro stands out when I roll down a street...it doesn't look like every other car out there.

I wonder when we'll start seeing concept drawings on the web.

xmattyx 03-15-2012 06:23 PM

loan on my 1LT is up in 2014...im deff getting the new 6th gen and watching the movie '2012' :)

WCFB-Russ 03-15-2012 06:29 PM

They can't use the split bumper design from the early 1970 Camaro because of crash safety standards. This was why the 1970-era Camaros ditched this idea, to comply with government crash safety standards; I don't see GM trying to make anything good come of that.

Also - the 1969 Camaro cars are lighter than today's cars because crash safety standards have gone up and there is more material in the doors and the car all around. This makes the entire car heavier as a whole and then the skin added to the car just adds to the weight. You have to go to great lengths to keep car weight down and push the Camaro slowly into the area the Corvette is in, and this will drive the price upwards as well.

Using carbon fiber is a good idea for weight savings - and it's fairly strong compared to the fiberglass and urethane that is used on the cars currently. It should go a long way towards fixing the weight issue. But you have to come to expect it - all cars are getting heavier due to compliance with new safety regulations.

The elephant in the room seems to be that while cars are getting safer, they are burning more gas because they are heavier, and it will take more powerful engines to push these heavy cars down the road. So while they tout EPA numbers - the problem is that it's harder to meet CAFE requirements if they are just making cars heavier and heavier. Maybe instead of just adding material they should figure out how to reinforce the structure better so that they can add less and it will hold its shape better in a crash.

Just my thoughts on the matter - I could be wrong.

-R

PYROLYSIS 03-15-2012 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by black34v6 (Post 4651744)
They can't use the split bumper design from the early 1970 Camaro because of crash safety standards. This was why the 1970-era Camaros ditched this idea, to comply with government crash safety standards; I don't see GM trying to make anything good come of that.

Also - the 1969 Camaro cars are lighter than today's cars because crash safety standards have gone up and there is more material in the doors and the car all around. This makes the entire car heavier as a whole and then the skin added to the car just adds to the weight. You have to go to great lengths to keep car weight down and push the Camaro slowly into the area the Corvette is in, and this will drive the price upwards as well.

Using carbon fiber is a good idea for weight savings - and it's fairly strong compared to the fiberglass and urethane that is used on the cars currently. It should go a long way towards fixing the weight issue. But you have to come to expect it - all cars are getting heavier due to compliance with new safety regulations.

The elephant in the room seems to be that while cars are getting safer, they are burning more gas because they are heavier, and it will take more powerful engines to push these heavy cars down the road. So while they tout EPA numbers - the problem is that it's harder to meet CAFE requirements if they are just making cars heavier and heavier. Maybe instead of just adding material they should figure out how to reinforce the structure better so that they can add less and it will hold its shape better in a crash.

Just my thoughts on the matter - I could be wrong.

-R

As far as I know the 2nd gen body was changed to adapt to the $500 bumper law. It was a bigger challenge back then and shouldn't be a problem now. They can pretty much build whatever they dream up as long as the aerodynamics aren't too crazy.

BrandonB956 03-15-2012 07:03 PM

My vote is for a design similar to a early 2nd generation

oldschool69 03-15-2012 07:07 PM

GM should put Chip Foose on the design team and see what he could come up with. He can make an AMC Pacer look good. HA!

SSCamaroZ28 03-15-2012 07:17 PM

I think that the 6th Gen designers should keep the 2nd and 4th Gen styles far away and look at keeping the the modernized 67-68 look while incorporating more designs from the 69 on the outside. Like maybe the fenders, taillights, and centered parking lights. Something a little new should be done with the grill/headlights.

If not, I think they should start looking at the 3rd Gens such as IROC-Zs. They kinda did a wheel similar to the IROCs for the 5th base cars and you can see a slight resemblence in some of the body lines, but those and the 1sts were the best, most aggressive looking Camaros that also had a clean and sleek design. 3rds were extremely popular, are becoming new classics, and have been out of production for a long time now. Also, I've read that the 6th Gen is going to go back to that lower, more raked, and lean design. 3rds are the only Camaros that pulled it off perfectly.

zogster 03-15-2012 07:19 PM

It needs to be more different than what Ford did from the 05-09 Mustang to the '10 Mustang. I will say that much.

USAFJeeper 03-15-2012 07:40 PM

3rd Gen. Do it :) Course I was a fan of the golden chicken on the pontiac hood during that time frame :)