CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=155)
-   -   So what IS going to Happen to Camaro5 after the 6th gen comes out? (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=274963)

meissen 05-07-2013 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danl (Post 6140625)
i think this forum should stay as is.
I dont think the 6th gen will do as well as this one has. Gen 5, is the last of the beautiful, muscle car called Camaro.
I think in time, these cars will out sell gen 6 at the Barret Jackson auctions many years from now...it is easily the most eye pleasing of all camaros since 1980 and on.

It's OK to be biased since you own the car, but just note that your opinion is not the same as that of the rest of the population. :lol: The 6th gen will likely outperform the 5th gen in every metric, performance and otherwise.

Wizard1183 05-07-2013 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by meissen (Post 6514469)
It's OK to be biased since you own the car, but just note that your opinion is not the same as that of the rest of the population. :lol: The 6th gen will likely outperform the 5th gen in every metric, performance and otherwise.

In performance? Well... maybe since its a lighter platform. But you wont have the ZL-1, the COPO or this type of Z/28. And you probably wont see a 6th gen camaro with 500+ HP unless they S/C the LT1. But then what will they call it? It wont be a ZL-1.

meissen 05-07-2013 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wizard1183 (Post 6514574)
In performance? Well... maybe since its a lighter platform. But you wont have the ZL-1, the COPO or this type of Z/28. And you probably wont see a 6th gen camaro with 500+ HP unless they S/C the LT1. But then what will they call it? It wont be a ZL-1.

100% speculation, but I doubt that GM would come out with a new generation that doesn't outperform the previous generation. Look at the 'Vette... C6 400hp base, C7 450hp base. Even if they kept the HP the same, like you said because it's a lighter platform it'd probably still outperform.

That said though, I haven't seen anything speculation on the ZL-1, COPO, or Z/28 -- I can see why the COPO and ZL-1 might not be back for the 6th gen Camaro but I would definitely hope the Z/28 comes back. At this point it's anyone's guess.

Wizard1183 05-07-2013 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by meissen (Post 6514918)
100% speculation, but I doubt that GM would come out with a new generation that doesn't outperform the previous generation. Look at the 'Vette... C6 400hp base, C7 450hp base. Even if they kept the HP the same, like you said because it's a lighter platform it'd probably still outperform.

That said though, I haven't seen anything speculation on the ZL-1, COPO, or Z/28 -- I can see why the COPO and ZL-1 might not be back for the 6th gen Camaro but I would definitely hope the Z/28 comes back. At this point it's anyone's guess.

Right as for the Z/28? They'll def have one. But it wont be anything near this one. Remember, these cars are modern muscle and since history repeats itself, you honestly think performance will stay on a steady increase? Lets look back at where these modern muscle cars came from. 1967-69, most notibly 1969. After 1972, the high perfomance started to drop. In '72 you had the LS-3 "396" as the big perfomer. 1973 "SS" was dropped to "LT" and largest engine was a 350 with 243HP max. This is where performance is headed. May not be this drastic since theyre including DI plus Turbos, Twin Turbos/SuperChargers on them to obtain fuel economy and have the HP behind them. But dont expect a plethora of naturally aspirated engines with too high of HP in the next gen as compared to these 5th gens. They do have one engine to get there and thats the LT1 which will have equal or greater HP than the current SS. After this, I dont see it increasing but actually decreasing in displacement and running FI to stay near the HP numbers if they decide they want to stay near it. The 6th gen will probably outperform the 5th because of reduction in weight and the LT1. After this engine, displacement will drop and so will HP.

Mkn95u0 05-07-2013 03:22 PM

I think of it as a chapter... once the 6th Gen comes out, the 5th gen's will already have had most of the questions, opinions, rumors, and highlights answered in a searchable way... it would make sense to make a Camaro6.com as a means to separate the new from the prior(s)..

Then again, Camaro5 can transition into a title of establishment time frame rather than a title of generations (i'm newer here than most, so not sure if Camaro5 was the first major Camaro forum, becoming heavily popularized by the 5th gen Camaro...)

Mkn95u0 05-07-2013 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wizard1183 (Post 6515393)
Right as for the Z/28? They'll def have one. But it wont be anything near this one. Remember, these cars are modern muscle and since history repeats itself, you honestly think performance will stay on a steady increase? Lets look back at where these modern muscle cars came from. 1967-69, most notibly 1969. After 1972, the high perfomance started to drop. In '72 you had the LS-3 "396" as the big perfomer. 1973 "SS" was dropped to "LT" and largest engine was a 350 with 243HP max. This is where performance is headed. May not be this drastic since theyre including DI plus Turbos, Twin Turbos/SuperChargers on them to obtain fuel economy and have the HP behind them. But dont expect a plethora of naturally aspirated engines with too high of HP in the next gen as compared to these 5th gens. They do have one engine to get there and thats the LT1 which will have equal or greater HP than the current SS. After this, I dont see it increasing but actually decreasing in displacement and running FI to stay near the HP numbers if they decide they want to stay near it. The 6th gen will probably outperform the 5th because of reduction in weight and the LT1. After this engine, displacement will drop and so will HP.

Imagine the future a little more the California strict way... Camaro 1EV - with an electric option. Rather than fully reliant on gasoline... I wouldn't count on history repeating it self in power decrease, but it would be like the transition into the 3rd gens, they were more or less the first gen with major smog fitments and a more outlook in aerodynamics (some may argue... feel free to correct me if i'm wrong)... the 5th gen to 6th gen could follow with stricter smog requirements and transitioning into electric.

Just a food for thought, not necessarily my hopes or what not..

Wizard1183 05-08-2013 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mkn95u0 (Post 6515568)
Imagine the future a little more the California strict way... Camaro 1EV - with an electric option. Rather than fully reliant on gasoline... I wouldn't count on history repeating it self in power decrease, but it would be like the transition into the 3rd gens, they were more or less the first gen with major smog fitments and a more outlook in aerodynamics (some may argue... feel free to correct me if i'm wrong)... the 5th gen to 6th gen could follow with stricter smog requirements and transitioning into electric.

Just a food for thought, not necessarily my hopes or what not..

I would think GM discontinues the camaro name before going to electric with it. I wont be the least bit surprised if after the 6th gen, they discontinue it.

Mkn95u0 05-10-2013 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wizard1183 (Post 6518108)
I would think GM discontinues the camaro name before going to electric with it. I wont be the least bit surprised if after the 6th gen, they discontinue it.

I would hope not... but you're probably right, i honestly cant see them putting an electric motor in a Camaro nor or ever in the future...

skipinminn 05-10-2013 09:02 PM

I WILL BRING MY gen 5 to C6Fest :) ^5 And they can all look BACK and say YEP GEN5 was the best looking GEN <<< LOL

2012-1822 05-12-2013 02:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mkn95u0 (Post 6528793)
I would hope not... but you're probably right, i honestly cant see them putting an electric motor in a Camaro nor or ever in the future...

If Ferrari can go hybrid then maybe anything is possible

alanhurst 05-12-2013 07:54 AM

pfft 20 yrs from now when some 16 yr old kid picks up one of these cars for like 1k, he's gonna come here and ask what?

"will a cold air intake void my warranty?"

You know it's gonna happen,calling it now.

Bad@ssCamaro 05-13-2013 04:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alanhurst (Post 6534014)
pfft 20 yrs from now when some 16 yr old kid picks up one of these cars for like 1k, he's gonna come here and ask what?

"will a cold air intake void my warranty?"

You know it's gonna happen,calling it now.

I think the warranty will be long gone by then. :biggrin:

revychevy 05-13-2013 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wizard1183 (Post 6515393)

They didn't just reduce HP in a vacuum in the '70s. There was the clean air act that got rid of leaded 100 octane gas, (which was everywhere). Catalytic converters, the OPEC oil embargo, rising insurance rates (since they made it mandatory). And Govt surcharges on muscle cars. A perfect storm of fun killing dooky that ruined the US auto industry in my opinion. I was a young man then but remember after the early 70's they started making little compact cheap wanna-be Japanese economy cars, and big oversized underpowered boats. Both of which had little appeal to me.