CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=155)
-   -   No more V8 for 6th gen Camaro? (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=267913)

ALLTRBO 12-28-2012 12:16 AM

No more V8 for 6th gen Camaro?

I'm getting very tired of seeing all over the forums that Camaros are going to lose a V8 option (anytime in the at-all foreseeable future), and everyone deserves a rant every now and then I think, so it's my turn...

Now... We all know that GM has made many, many huge mistakes, but
they (specifically the Camaro team) are not stupid enough to believe that killing the V8 Camaro won't totally ruin the desire from the faithful and ultimately murder sales, despite the majority of sales traditionally coming from V6 cars. For one, a lot of the V6 owners hope to upgrade to a V8 when they can afford it and a lot do just that, but it's a lot more then that.

Buyers expect a Camaro to be a front engine, RWD car with an available V8. The GM Camaro team has been in tune with us customers more than ever in history, and they're Camaro people too, so stop worrying about it so much and just keep the faith. :thumbsup:

On the Big Brother side of things... As of my current understanding, the gas mileage requirements that car manufacturers have to meet are averaged across the lineup. For every V8 car or truck GM sells, they sell tons more of the smaller, more efficient cars and trucks, and they're getting more and more efficient and more desirable every year, as well as the PHEV's and all-electric cars becoming increasingly available on the higher-end of the econo spectrum. That's just on top of the newer traditional econo cars that have been getting good reviews and putting out great numbers.
What this means is that a number of gas guzzling options can be had while still satisfying the average numbers GM must meet. Above all that, even the numbers from those "awful planet-killing, nature-hating, obnoxious, crude, and just plain selfish" V8's are going in the right direction, not only in mileage but in power as well! Take that, tree huggers! But I digress...

I don't foresee this method of forcing efficiency numbers on them to change any time soon other than making the requirements stricter over time, but I am far from an industry expert, so take that for what it's worth.

In short, don't at all worry about whether or not there will be V8 Camaros for years to come. If they do go for substantially improved efficiency in the Camaro, the smaller turbo engines might be the way they do it, but they will absolutely not kill the V8 Camaro. Mark my words... (and if I'm wrong I have no problem standing corrected).

Here are my predictions (speaking in general terms):

The 5th gen will get a couple more engine offerings/replacements and tweaks yet, but I don't see any paradigm shifts for the rest of this go-round.
The 6th gen will probably have the LT1 as the base V8 (man I hate it when they dig up retired designations), some better form of V8(s) in the higher performance models, and possibly (hopefully) the twin-turbo DI 3.6, and potentially even a 4-cylinder turbo base engine. I won't rule that out because the structure is already in place, and it is a solid performer as 4-cylinders go. It's no 2.5 Iron Duke, that's for sure! Tuned for "torque" and minimal turbo lag, I'm sure it'd move along a ~3400 lb car just fine.
However, I still don't think it's likely.

If they do a TT V6 I'll be in love and would probably take it over the V8. As long as they did it right, it would be stupid easy to eclipse the V8 power. That's why I love turbos. On the other hand, can't beat the sound of that traditional and ever-present musclecar V8 thumping under the hood. :thumbsup:

AdamZ 12-28-2012 12:17 AM

There will always be a v8.

OUR72GTO 12-28-2012 12:30 AM

These has all been said so often since 2009.:facepalm:

CamaroKevin 12-28-2012 12:37 AM

Yeah, even though I own the V6, I highly doubt they will kill the V8 either. I see them working on them getting better efficiency than ever rather than just doing away with it completely.

A twin turbo V6 would be awesome and without a doubt popular. The V8 was the Camaro back in the late 60's and ever after. You don't have to own a V8 to even recognize its importance to the car. Plus as long as the competition continues to hold onto a V8,there's no way Chevy would drop it. I think we'd see that from Ford before we saw it from anyone else. So I agree, everything is just speculation as of now. It's way too soon to know anyways.

Posted from Camaro5.com App for Android

GotGame55 12-28-2012 12:42 AM

Their doing away with the V8 for sure......then puting a V12 in it :D

GMTool 12-28-2012 12:42 AM

No worries here. No V8, no Camaro for me. It's that simple. It's going to be alright. ;)

SSmokinSS 12-28-2012 12:56 AM

Anyone remember the commercials for the early 4th gens?
The two kids in the bedroom listening to cars drive by and guessing what they were?
The Camaro rumbles by, and the kid lights up! 275HP LT1 Z28 Camaro!
Dang near top of the heap as far as affordable sports cars. The LT4 was the one to have or even the SS when the LS1 was offered. 305HP! No way!
A V8 Camaro is the dream car of millions. I doubt it is going away in the next decade or two.
HP numbers aren't everything.
Having the V8 is a symbol that you have a true sports car, even if turbo 4cyl cars eat you up. :)
The V6 puts out more HP than any 4th gen, BUT it doesn't have the same status.

I doubt the 5th gen sixers will end up like the 4th gen RS models as quick. The 4th gens were fun, but not built extremely well. The Z28 and SS were the ones that stood out. A 6 banger can be had for a couple hundred bucks right now.
The new 6 cyl will hold their own for years to come. They are WELL BUILT cars!

This is not a V-8, V-6 debate, just stating how I see it.

What is the first question anyone not familiar with different models asks when you pull up in your Camaro????

05stram 12-28-2012 03:53 AM

http://youtu.be/VpDLeo4lcCg

CWI 12-28-2012 04:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SSmokinSS (Post 5963727)
What is the first question anyone not familiar with different models asks when you pull up in your Camaro????

Is that a Mustang?:sm0:
:facepalm:

Apex Motorsports 12-28-2012 05:29 AM

The V8 isn't going any where. CAFE means Corporate Average Fuel Economy. It is an average of all the cars a company produces, it doesn't mean every car has to be at that number or higher. Cars like the Volt and the Eco models pull the average up so that there is room for performance models. Even the fuel economy for the V8 equipped vehicles are improving. The biggest reason we know the V8 isn't going any where is the existence of the Gen V V8. Development costs for a new generation LS V8 are huge. No company would make an investment like that if they were planning on not using them extensively for the foreseeable future.

Wizard1183 12-28-2012 08:07 AM

I agree, it won't die out completely but I can see around 2025 when CAFE is really stepping making cars have 54+ mpg, that V8s will be for the rich only. Forget the working man affording a V8 in this time frame. It'll be for upper class to drive IMO as it is for those who drive vettes. Not all Vette drivers are upper class btw. I just think that the V8 will probably slow in production to about 1000-2000 a yr as like that of a ZL-1 ect. It won't be extinct, just a dream for many. Get em while they're hot!

dkp2LT 12-28-2012 08:25 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I predict HP replaced by FP.

FenwickHockey65 12-28-2012 08:51 AM

The LT1 works with the Alpha chassis.

That is all.