CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=155)
-   -   Spy Pics: Group of 2016 Camaro Prototypes Spotted Out Testing (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=372473)

King T 08-10-2014 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 87GNX (Post 7880926)
A pushrod does not pack more tech. Its one cam and 16v, the ford is definitely more tech 4v 4 cams getting 435 hp out of 5.0L.

I think ChefBorOzzy was talking about the new tech in the LT1 such as Direct Injection, Active Fuel Management, etc.. that it has that the Coyote doesn't moreso than the Pushrod vs DOHC architecture.

Lawdog1911 08-10-2014 06:31 PM

Is it going to be based on this car?

http://i721.photobucket.com/albums/w...psf651fd5e.jpg

http://i721.photobucket.com/albums/w...psb8845b2a.jpg

Bhobbs 08-10-2014 06:39 PM

Quote:

A pushrod does not pack more tech. Its one cam and 16v, the ford is definitely more tech 4v 4 cams getting 435 hp out of 5.0L.

Number of cams and valves has nothing to do with technology. Over head cam design is older than cam in block.

Number 3 08-10-2014 07:43 PM

Quote:

That's not tech. It's just more cost and weight. OHC is actually the older engine technology.

Just two ways to do the same job.

RLHMARINES 08-10-2014 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Number 3 (Post 7881534)
That's not tech. It's just more cost and weight. OHC is actually the older engine technology.

Just two ways to do the same job.

THANK YOU!!

Bhobbs 08-10-2014 09:37 PM

I hope to see some videos soon. I wonder what it will sound like.

doc7000 08-10-2014 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by benanderson89 (Post 7880924)
Since its the Alpha platform, the 4-pot will be the engine from GM's european brands Vauxhall and Opel (its used in the Astra GTC VXR).

http://www.courtenaysport.co.uk/blog...SC04474v2w.jpg

Plus, its the engine slated for the ATS Coupé.

400Nm of Torque and 276bhp will really hurry the new Camaro along. It only takes 5.7s to do the 60mph sprint in the Astra, and that car weighs 1.5 tones (Camaro LS V6 is 1.7t) Since the ATS 4-door is 1.5t, the Camaro should theoretically weigh less. I'm hoping 5.5s.

I hope, though, that they decide to go with the engine out of the Astra VXR Extreme, which is a 300bhp unit. To me, it makes the v6 redundant and it'd turn the LS and LT trims from "pretty cool sports car" to "surprisingly very fast sports car."

This is what I'm thinking, since I want to import a Camaro and I don't know if I should wait for a Gen 6 or grab a Gen 5 in a firesale. With all the extra fees associated with importing, I'd save a fortune.

And now my unrelated thoughts on something else entirely.

Of course, if the Gen 6 comes in RHD then its a no brainer for me in the UK.
Ford making the 2015 Mustang in right hand drive has pretty much guaranteed them easy money, as the UK is one of the most important markets for sports cars.

GM would do very well to follow suit as Camaros are insanely desireable in the UK. Mustangs depreciate (surprising for such a sought after exotic import), but Camaros two/three years later, even the Automatic, still sell for £30,000 with 5-digit milages - they're £35,000 new. That's 85%! Convertibles still rake in 75%. GM wouldn't be able to screw the RHD models together fast enough.

um... the Astra is a FWD car on the delta platform (a small front engine FWD platform).

The Alpha platform is a small to medium sized front engine RWD platform, so it will not get a FWD 2.0T engine. Also the ATS launched with a 2.0T engine though no one knows what the output will look like for the turbo engine slated for the Camaro. Since the 2.0T Camaro will compete with the 3.7L V-6 Mustang which is rated at 300BHP I would find it safe to assume that it will have around that amount of power.

benanderson89 08-11-2014 06:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doc7000 (Post 7881988)
um... the Astra is a FWD car on the delta platform (a small front engine FWD platform).

The Alpha platform is a small to medium sized front engine RWD platform, so it will not get a FWD 2.0T engine. Also the ATS launched with a 2.0T engine though no one knows what the output will look like for the turbo engine slated for the Camaro. Since the 2.0T Camaro will compete with the 3.7L V-6 Mustang which is rated at 300BHP I would find it safe to assume that it will have around that amount of power.

I'm aware the Astra is on a different platform (I really didn't convey that well) and FWD. I was talking specifically about the engine.

Both the engines slated for the ATS Coupé and the one already present in the Astra VXR are 270(and change)bhp units, with 295lb-ft and max HP at 5500rpm. I can't think of another engine in GM's catalogue that would fit outside of a new unit.

I'm just hoping that GM decide to use the 300bhp 2.0T unit from the VXR Extreme (if it is indeed the same unit), because they may (and probably will) just go the cheaper route and give us the same drive train from the ATS. Same platform in the same factory - it'd make sense.

velocity149 08-11-2014 08:46 AM

2 Attachment(s)
So the Mirrors are also different then in the original spy shots... I think they will pick as many parts from the 5th gen for now, as they possibly can.

donk6996 08-11-2014 01:14 PM

I have owned alot of DI cars and have not really been a fan from an all out performance standpoint. I also do not like active fuel management. To me the camaro should keep an LS3 and not get the LT motor. I just think there is so much out there for the LS and the Lt is too much of a PITA with all the extra crap I don't want. I had a mazdaspeed 3 with DI that I could never get enough fuel to for what I wanted to do. It was a cam driven fuel pump and a PITA

Bhobbs 08-11-2014 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by donk6996 (Post 7883013)
I have owned alot of DI cars and have not really been a fan from an all out performance standpoint. I also do not like active fuel management. To me the camaro should keep an LS3 and not get the LT motor. I just think there is so much out there for the LS and the Lt is too much of a PITA with all the extra crap I don't want. I had a mazdaspeed 3 with DI that I could never get enough fuel to for what I wanted to do. It was a cam driven fuel pump and a PITA

The LTx is replacing the LSx. I agree that the Camaro LT1 should ditch the AFM since it has the Turbo 4 and V6 versions for fuel economy purposes.

TLSTWIN 08-11-2014 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smggugfaw (Post 7880955)
This one? (just a quickie)

http://cdn.makeagif.com/media/8-10-2014/aVDjJe.gif

Parts of it line up pretty nicely (especially if we stick with the false 5th gen fascia and deck lid strapped on idea) while other parts of it are clearly off.

Still might be some styling hints in there...

nice, try this one
http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showpo...90&postcount=1

oneredry 08-11-2014 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by velocity149 (Post 7882341)
So the Mirrors are also different then in the original spy shots... I think they will pick as many parts from the 5th gen for now, as they possibly can.

Look at the wiper configuration on your top picture. They look like they are minivan type of wipers, rather than your traditional wiper configuration.

doc7000 08-11-2014 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by benanderson89 (Post 7882210)
I'm aware the Astra is on a different platform (I really didn't convey that well) and FWD. I was talking specifically about the engine.

Both the engines slated for the ATS Coupé and the one already present in the Astra VXR are 270(and change)bhp units, with 295lb-ft and max HP at 5500rpm. I can't think of another engine in GM's catalogue that would fit outside of a new unit.

I'm just hoping that GM decide to use the 300bhp 2.0T unit from the VXR Extreme (if it is indeed the same unit), because they may (and probably will) just go the cheaper route and give us the same drive train from the ATS. Same platform in the same factory - it'd make sense.

The LTG engine at 272BHP and 260ft-lbs is in the 2013 and 2014 ATS and is scheduled to get the revisions that the current CTS already has (same engine 272/295ft-lbs). Actually the Buick Regal, CTS, and Malibu already produce 295ft-lbs of torque with this engine the ATS was just a hold out until they new front end and coupe came out.