CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=155)
-   -   2016 6th Gen SS (V8) "Upgrades"... (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=277619)

Wizard1183 02-19-2013 06:30 AM

Now that's something I'd love. To activate AFM by flip of a switch and it wouldn't go back to 8 cyl until I hit the switch. That way you're guaranteed to save gas as a 4cyl ALL vehicles should be thic way. Activating and deactivating cylinders at will.

GretchenGotGrowl 02-19-2013 06:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wizard1183 (Post 6179232)
Now that's something I'd love. To activate AFM by flip of a switch and it wouldn't go back to 8 cyl until I hit the switch. That way you're guaranteed to save gas as a 4cyl ALL vehicles should be thic way. Activating and deactivating cylinders at will.

What if that switch was the cruise control? That seems the most reasonable way to do it to me. I drove one of the vettes that first had DOD and I would hate to try and drive that thing in stop-n-go traffic. I'm sure it is much better now, but I doubt is very effective unless you are cruising at a fairly constant speed with low torque demand, i.e, the conditions when most people use cruise control. Just an idea.

Wizard1183 02-19-2013 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GretchenGotGrowl (Post 6179254)
What if that switch was the cruise control? That seems the most reasonable way to do it to me. I drove one of the vettes that first had DOD and I would hate to try and drive that thing in stop-n-go traffic. I'm sure it is much better now, but I doubt is very effective unless you are cruising at a fairly constant speed with low torque demand, i.e, the conditions when most people use cruise control. Just an idea.

That'd be perfect! You put it on cruise control and save gas. Stop n go traffic, you're not going to get well anyway. But most ppl drive at least some point or majority of their daily commute using cruise control. So works for me.

Bhobbs 02-19-2013 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham (Post 6178087)
Question....

The 1LE suspension is rather stiff (not harsh...just stiff)...what if the new Mustang offered a cushy ride on the regular GT model and that won a lot of people over who were only looking for a V8...or looks?

Good question. I'm not sure how to work that out.

Ken_ 02-19-2013 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GretchenGotGrowl (Post 6175993)
Yeah, these mechanical High-Pressure Fuel Pumps are a PITA. Too big and they flow too much fuel at idle and low RPMs. Too small and they don't flow enough at the high RPMs. It would be nice if they had two, one that had a valve that didn't open to the fuel rails until the RPMs were above 4000, otherwise it just recirculates the fuel. I think that would solve the problem for high HP demands.

Have you guys thought of using a rising rate fuel pressure regulator? We've been using them for years in FI imports.

You mentioned wanting to be able to inject more fuel into the system aka the same way nitrous is done. We used to use sub-injectors that were RPM-reliant in FI cars in the 90s. These were nothing more than one or two fuel injectors that were tapped into the intake track and would only come on once a certain set RPM was hit. We got away from that when rising rate fuel regulators became more reliable in the early 2000s in conjunction with high-flow fuel pumps.

Just my 2 cents.

Good luck.

GretchenGotGrowl 02-19-2013 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken_ (Post 6181363)
Have you guys thought of using a rising rate fuel pressure regulator? We've been using them for years in FI imports.

You mentioned wanting to be able to inject more fuel into the system aka the same way nitrous is done. We used to use sub-injectors that were RPM-reliant in FI cars in the 90s. These were nothing more than one or two fuel injectors that were tapped into the intake track and would only come on once a certain set RPM was hit. We got away from that when rising rate fuel regulators became more reliable in the early 2000s in conjunction with high-flow fuel pumps.

Just my 2 cents.

Good luck.

Very similar to what we are doing. When all else fails, go old school.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Sikoriko 02-19-2013 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken_ (Post 6181363)

Just my 2 cents.

Good luck.

Wouldn't you have to direct the fuel flow almost into the back side of the intake valve? The closer the better?

Ken_ 02-19-2013 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sikoriko (Post 6181687)
Wouldn't you have to direct the fuel flow almost into the back side of the intake valve? The closer the better?

Not necessarily so. We were plumbing in before the throttle body. Here's a PDF of the GReddy Rebic IV we were using back in the day on my RX-7.

http://www.greddy.com/upload/file/Rebic_IV.pdf

The PDF tells you how it works and shows components that would be in a sub-injector kit.

The way things are now, the need for a sub-injector system have pretty much gone away with better injector, fuel pump and fuel management technology, BUT there's still a niche for this sort of system. Apparently, some people are still using them.

A rising rate fuel pressure regulator is the way to go if one is experiencing lean-out in the higher RPM band. Tuning it on a dyno is essential.

Ken_ 02-19-2013 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GretchenGotGrowl (Post 6181666)
Very similar to what we are doing. When all else fails, go old school.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

That holds true for so many things, even now.

1973Camaro 02-20-2013 10:24 AM

In regards to AFM, we have an 08 Impala w/3.9 v6 AFM. You set the DIC for instant fuel mileage & watch it change back & forth between 3 & 6 cyl mode. It changes back to 6 with the slightest of throttle pressure increase whether accelerating or a slight increase in grade. I don't see how you could experience a lack of performance at any time, just hit the throttle. Also the switch back & forth is almost imperceptable. The only way I can feel it is if I lean my head against the window glass. I would think a v8/v4 would be even smoother.

90503 02-20-2013 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1973Camaro (Post 6185005)
In regards to AFM, we have an 08 Impala w/3.9 v6 AFM. You set the DIC for instant fuel mileage & watch it change back & forth between 3 & 6 cyl mode. It changes back to 6 with the slightest of throttle pressure increase whether accelerating or a slight increase in grade. I don't see how you could experience a lack of performance at any time, just hit the throttle. Also the switch back & forth is almost imperceptable. The only way I can feel it is if I lean my head against the window glass. I would think a v8/v4 would be even smoother.

...Good stuff....Yeah, I've never driven a car with AFM....(Doesn't seem to be very popular on these forums with the Camaros)....perhaps its not really a "performance" killer in the big scheme of things...

...But...my gosh...when I shopped for my '11, the L99s with AFM were rated at "1" mpg hwy mileage greater than the manual trans cars..."ONE!"...I could see AFM being the greatest thing since a pocket in a shirt if the mileage gains were vastly greater than those without AFM...

Just seems like a ton of technology and what-not for very little gain in mpg...on top of what is perceived as driving a "performance" car on four cylinders...dunno...

Mikes SS 02-20-2013 12:07 PM

I was thinking, and this may sound dumb but the AFM on the L99 is controlled by oil pressure and load ratings into the ECM and blah blah blah but what if you could use a "line lock" system to keep it in 4cyl mode on the highway? I would think these cars could get 30-35mpg highway in 4cyl mode and that could help the CAFE and possibly keep from paying the dreadful gas guzzler tax..I mean really in 4cyl mode, it is a 3.1L 215hp motor I would assume that should be enough to keep the car going 75mph on the highway?

90503 02-20-2013 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by baby02 (Post 6176972)
AFM on the 2014 stringray with have the option of turning on or off by the owner.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikes SS (Post 6185478)
I was thinking, and this may sound dumb but the AFM on the L99 is controlled by oil pressure and load ratings into the ECM and blah blah blah but what if you could use a "line lock" system to keep it in 4cyl mode on the highway? I would think these cars could get 30-35mpg highway in 4cyl mode and that could help the CAFE and possibly keep from paying the dreadful gas guzzler tax..I mean really in 4cyl mode, it is a 3.1L 215hp motor I would assume that should be enough to keep the car going 75mph on the highway?

Might be getting close to what you mention, if it's true about the 2014 Stingray having that option...No idea how it's actually done, or what mileage gains there would be, but sounds like a good idea...

Ken_ 02-20-2013 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikes SS (Post 6185478)

May as well just join the group that hopes for an I-4 turbo Camaro. Not knocking it because I also drive a I-4 turbo car- the EVO VIII, and that thing is a rocket on rails, and I do firmly believe that an I-4 turbo-powered Camaro will be actually more fun that most think. Everybody keeps thinking of an engine from the 3rd Gen Camaro called the Iron Duke (2.4 liter?) and that's what this newer gen I-4 turbo Camaro would end up being like.

Anyway, what good is a V8 if it is locked in 4cyl mode most of its life?