Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=85)
-   -   LSA Intercooler Cover Rear Bolt Removal (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=610794)

jason78 10-27-2022 09:52 PM

LSA Intercooler Cover Rear Bolt Removal

Ok, so I went to removing the intercooler cover tonight and was feeling like the man after I got the 4 rear bolts out, Then I discovered 2 more that make the other look like cake. :confused0068:

So I'm really not interested in drilling out the cowling as I have see some do. I'm hoping the experts can point me to an attachment or tool of some kind that will help make this a little easier. I had someone recommend a Matco A4UB which looks promising, just hoping someone in a performance shop or who deals with these all the time can share some wise tips or other ideas. Thanks

Risingson05 10-27-2022 10:08 PM

You can bend the cowling upward alittle to get to those rear bolts , and using long extension and swivel -or drop the cradle down alittle .. taking off is the easy part ,it’s getting them torqued back down will be the hard part .. My OCD kicks in and have to hit the torque rating for them bolts

I’ve seen hand wrench with a swivel joint on it being used once , but that might be hard to find ..

gbu27 10-29-2022 02:35 PM

The factory manual has you drop the rear of the front subframe / engine mounting an inch or so for clearance. It’s real fun…

SIM GhostrdrZ 10-29-2022 04:09 PM

Set the car on jack stands on the front 2 punch weld jack points. That allows the front subframe to actually drop down as specified. I do this on a lift and it’s much easier than on the ground. It still is not fun to get to the rear bolts but it make it possible. I did not want to cut or bend my cowling.

jason78 10-29-2022 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gbu27 (Post 11247397)
The factory manual has you drop the rear of the front subframe / engine mounting an inch or so for clearance. It’s real fun…

Sounds like it! I don't have a lift or the confidence level to do that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SIM GhostrdrZ (Post 11247415)
Set the car on jack stands on the front 2 punch weld jack points. That allows the front subframe to actually drop down as specified. I do this on a lift and it’s much easier than on the ground. It still is not fun to get to the rear bolts but it make it possible. I did not want to cut or bend my cowling.

Thanks! I'll give that a shot. I almost have access from the top rear now, if I could only get a 1/2" or so that would make a huge difference. I've ordered a couple more socket and extension gizmos that should be here next week. I really don't want to cut or drill the cowling.

tartagliazl1 10-29-2022 08:18 PM

Stop making it hard on yourself. Drill the cowl. I can get the lid off in 5 minutes now.

gbu27 10-30-2022 07:40 PM

Yea I shoulda said… I cut spots out, it’s just easier, and no one will ever see it because it’s under the plastic you take off

tartagliazl1 10-30-2022 08:17 PM

I drilled holes above each bolt. Then put body plugs in the holes.

jason78 10-30-2022 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tartagliazl1 (Post 11247496)
Stop making it hard on yourself. Drill the cowl. I can get the lid off in 5 minutes now.

Trying to keep that as a last resort. Im very close to having them. At this point its a challenge and I've already ordered some tools so I may as well give those a shot.

bstromback2002 10-31-2022 11:53 AM

I believe I did the reach around with a gear wrench when I did mine or maybe a 1/4 ratchet and a socket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

roh 10-31-2022 09:40 PM

The 1st one I did, I drilled the cowl but I didn't like what it did to the cowl insulation when the hole saw exited thru the backside.

The 2nd one I did, I loosened the subframe bolts & couldn't believe how much easier it was with just a little extra room over the top.

I have a lift so it was easy for me, but if I didn't I think I would still drop the subframe if the car was nice.

1MtnGoat 11-01-2022 12:10 PM

When I had my SC replaced under warranty it was 2hr. 40 min. from the time I dropped off the car at the dealer 'till the tech called and said the install was finished. No holes drilled!

ZL1_Chris 11-01-2022 04:55 PM

Agreed drill holes

ZMEnow 11-01-2022 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1MtnGoat (Post 11248446)
When I had my SC replaced under warranty it was 2hr. 40 min. from the time I dropped off the car at the dealer 'till the tech called and said the install was finished. No holes drilled!

The tech bulletin says to drop the subframe one inch in front, end of bolt in the back. You can be done in under and hour and a half. My supercharger was also replaced in under 2 hours.