CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=155)
-   -   2020 Camaro Concept 4 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=340760)

Doc 02-04-2014 11:05 PM

2020 Camaro Concept 4

7 Attachment(s)
I've decided to move this one to a new thread since the old thread had versions that weren't particularly "muscle". This one definitely is a muscle car. It incorporates elements from I think all of my previous concepts. Right now I'm focusing on overall shape and look; I haven't put any effort into lighting effects yet. I haven't even done a rear side marker light because I haven't come up with an idea I like yet.

This concept is running 18" wheels with 275 wide tires so the overall size of the car is actually smaller than the current Camaro even though it may not look like it. Going with the smaller tires enabled me to lower the fender line height and open up the side window height a bit for better driver visibility. This version has a shorter wheelbase too but that's hard to tell because I balanced all the elements to the smaller wheels so proportionally it looks "right". This car would be lower, shorter and lighter than the current 5th Gen.

The front is interesting. I know it kinda sorta has a Vette flavor to it but I chose it to help lower the drag coefficient in the front for better gas mileage. However this shape would also do quite well I think on the track. The other thing about this front (to me) is it has that definite GM family look to it.

Attachment 597149
Attachment 597150
Attachment 597151
Attachment 597152
Attachment 597153
Attachment 597154
Attachment 597155

130R 02-04-2014 11:59 PM

Whatever you're smoking, can I have some? :)

Looks way too much like a Vette from the side, and too much like a 3000 GT from the front…

http://s1.postimg.org/xmjbyptgv/1993..._3000_Gt_3.jpg

Doc 02-05-2014 12:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 130R (Post 7395937)
Whatever you're smoking, can I have some? :)

Looks way too much like a Vette from the side, and too much like a 3000 GT from the front…

http://s1.postimg.org/xmjbyptgv/1993..._3000_Gt_3.jpg

lol I should have put my normal disclaimer; I don't care what else it looks like. Does it look good?

130R 02-05-2014 12:19 AM

In my opinion, no. A Camaro shouldn't look like a Corvette, or a Mitsubishi 3000 GT. I mean, it's not a slight resemblance. It looks EXACTLY like a Corvette...

FenwickHockey65 02-05-2014 12:25 AM

The higher roofline aids in visibility but kills the design IMO.

Doc 02-05-2014 02:09 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by 130R (Post 7395963)
In my opinion, no. A Camaro shouldn't look like a Corvette, or a Mitsubishi 3000 GT. I mean, it's not a slight resemblance. It looks EXACTLY like a Corvette...

It doesn't really look at all like a 3000 GT; if anyone really thinks it does then I'm not the one smoking anything. If anything, it has some similarities to the Cadillac Cien.
Attachment 597199

I figured the resemblance to a vette would freak out the F-body crowd but if people want something different for the Camaro, the only way to find that is to try something different. The exploration continues.

Quote:

Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 (Post 7395977)
The higher roofline aids in visibility but kills the design IMO.

Aahh. Yeah that's the challenge. If I lowered the roofline then it really would look just like a Vette and that would also kill it as a 4 seater too.

Here are some revisions where I raised the front profile up quite a bit. Hopefully that improves the feel of the design with regards to the roofline height.

Attachment 597200
Attachment 597201
Attachment 597202
Attachment 597203

The Stig 02-05-2014 08:06 AM

Just going to say what everyone else is thinking Doc - shut up and take my money!

AKA-22 02-05-2014 08:13 AM

not something that makes me want to drive it..

LS1hawk 02-05-2014 08:54 AM

I've never posted in your threads but followed all of them. I like where this one is headed. Nice job!

Doc 02-05-2014 12:11 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Stig (Post 7396285)
Just going to say what everyone else is thinking Doc - shut up and take my money!

And it's not even finished yet!! :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by AKA-22 (Post 7396303)
not something that makes me want to drive it..

Well.... when it's finished... you never know. ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by LS1hawk (Post 7396397)
I've never posted in your threads but followed all of them. I like where this one is headed. Nice job!

Thank you!

Here's the latest with a few changes. I moved the radiator exit cutout on the hood back a bit. Starting to experiment with some LED lighting on the top of the fender edges.

Attachment 597289
Attachment 597290
Attachment 597291

MikeT 02-05-2014 12:22 PM

So, your idea is basically a cheaper 2+2 Corvette? What??

Actually, that sounds like a great idea. I'd buy a car like that.

BFASTNOTLAST 02-05-2014 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doc (Post 7395950)
lol I should have put my normal disclaimer; I don't care what else it looks like. Does it look good?

No offense, But thank GOD you are not a designer for GM!!!:emoticon1:

GretchenGotGrowl 02-05-2014 02:34 PM

I'm liking what I see so far. Love the trunk opening and the greater visibility. The roof line does look a bit odd, but I see what you are saying about lowering it. Keep going!

91Zman 02-05-2014 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeT (Post 7397036)

oh hell yeahhh an entry level Corvette for $25k...
:clap2:

Doc 02-05-2014 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeT (Post 7397036)

Well that could be a possibility. And yeah, it would sell.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BFASTNOTLAST (Post 7397145)
No offense, But thank GOD you are not a designer for GM!!!:emoticon1:

No offense taken and I actually agree with you. Designing for some of the Camaro crowd is a total PITA. I don't envy the GM designers one little bit!

Quote:

Originally Posted by GretchenGotGrowl (Post 7397415)
I'm liking what I see so far. Love the trunk opening and the greater visibility. The roof line does look a bit odd, but I see what you are saying about lowering it. Keep going!

Thank you. I think once you sat in this car and realized how nice it is to be able to clearly see outward as a driver, you'd be fine with the roof line.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 91Zman (Post 7397422)
oh hell yeahhh an entry level Corvette for $25k...
:clap2:

I wasn't actually thinking of it that way originally but now that it's being mentioned, I could see where that could be a selling point.

amizz10 02-05-2014 05:01 PM

looks like a 300zx and testarossa had an awkward baby

jlcustomz 02-05-2014 05:04 PM

Car designing is a lot like rock n roll. It can result in hours of fun, brings groups of people together out of interest in it, makes you want to see what happens next, frighten people you don't care about anyways, & make you famous after you're dead. Some of the best work produced can come at the very end of a very frustrating project. It can also all remind everybody of something else, as there is really nothing new under the sun, so they say.

That said, my main thoughts to the new design may be to try shortening the wheel base a little to give it more musclecar like proportions & compromise a little on the extra height of the roof for cosmetics .Raising the lower line of the front windshield just a little, & a little less curve should help the hood to appear longer. Also I'd mainly look into other design shapes on the front fascia to look more musclecar like, as I think this is the biggest area holding the design back.. When you start getting there, others will feel your designs more.
Just a few constructive criticism thoughts.:popcorn:I,ve recently done some design concepts on other forums, no easy task.

knitetrain05 02-05-2014 05:10 PM

next, concept camaro 2099 version 29....stupid

AWSME SS 02-05-2014 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doc (Post 7396997)
And it's not even finished yet!! :D

Well.... when it's finished... you never know. ;)

Thank you!

Here's the latest with a few changes. I moved the radiator exit cutout on the hood back a bit. Starting to experiment with some LED lighting on the top of the fender edges.

Attachment 597289
Attachment 597290
Attachment 597291

I see this...

http://static.cargurus.com/images/si...pic-57179.jpeg

mhoskins76 02-05-2014 05:32 PM

Here are my thoughts on the design:

- The rear braking duct for cooling just behind the rear doors has to go. I just don't see the purpose in it. It's not a Corvette or a high end exotic and it doesn't go with the flow of the car.
- The curved fenders at the bottom of the wheels have to go. These will just make it very hard to jack the car up and get a tire off because the tire won't drop with the suspension, and if it does the tire will bottom out on the fender possibly wrecking them.
- I think the front end really does look Corvette "like", Square it off a bit and add in a small upper grill for cooling. And with the big signal lights on the side, integrate the headlights into them will make for a better flow (HID projectors would look nice).
- I still see the roofline as a bit too high, but maybe with squaring off the front end a bit that might help with hiding that.
- The back end needs a rear diffuser around the exhaust pipes to hide them a bit. They hang down too much like a 60's muscle car.

I am not trying to be to harsh, just giving my honest opinion. It is great that you are doing this and it will be fun to watch the progress of your design. Keep it up!

KMPrenger 02-05-2014 06:35 PM

I think it looks good...really like the side profile. Its eye catching. But from that profile it does kind of scream Corvette.

Keep molding.

Doc 02-05-2014 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jlcustomz (Post 7397809)
Car designing is a lot like rock n roll. It can result in hours of fun, brings groups of people together out of interest in it, makes you want to see what happens next, frighten people you don't care about anyways, & make you famous after you're dead. Some of the best work produced can come at the very end of a very frustrating project. It can also all remind everybody of something else, as there is really nothing new under the sun, so they say.

That said, my main thoughts to the new design may be to try shortening the wheel base a little to give it more musclecar like proportions & compromise a little on the extra height of the roof for cosmetics .Raising the lower line of the front windshield just a little, & a little less curve should help the hood to appear longer. Also I'd mainly look into other design shapes on the front fascia to look more musclecar like, as I think this is the biggest area holding the design back.. When you start getting there, others will feel your designs more.
Just a few constructive criticism thoughts.:popcorn:I,ve recently done some design concepts on other forums, no easy task.

I'll drop the roof a bit; didn't realize people would rather have the cramped quarters inside in favor of outside appearance but that can be easily done. The wheelbase is actually shorter than the current Camaro. Because the wheels are 18" the overall proportions make it appear as though the car is larger than it actually is. The long windshield and front design is an attempt to improve gas mileage through a low drag coefficient since the CAFE requirements are going to get worse and worse.

Thank you for the constructive feedback!

Quote:

Originally Posted by knitetrain05 (Post 7397828)
next, concept camaro 2099 version 29....stupid

Your next comment #508....equally useless as this one? Put in something positive and constructive instead of just mocking.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AWSME SS (Post 7397849)

Wow it's not even close! ??

Quote:

Originally Posted by mhoskins76 (Post 7397877)
Here are my thoughts on the design:

- The rear braking duct for cooling just behind the rear doors has to go. I just don't see the purpose in it. It's not a Corvette or a high end exotic and it doesn't go with the flow of the car.
- The curved fenders at the bottom of the wheels have to go. These will just make it very hard to jack the car up and get a tire off because the tire won't drop with the suspension, and if it does the tire will bottom out on the fender possibly wrecking them.
- I think the front end really does look Corvette "like", Square it off a bit and add in a small upper grill for cooling. And with the big signal lights on the side, integrate the headlights into them will make for a better flow (HID projectors would look nice).
- I still see the roofline as a bit too high, but maybe with squaring off the front end a bit that might help with hiding that.
- The back end needs a rear diffuser around the exhaust pipes to hide them a bit. They hang down too much like a 60's muscle car.

I am not trying to be to harsh, just giving my honest opinion. It is great that you are doing this and it will be fun to watch the progress of your design. Keep it up!

The rear cooling duct is intended to be functional; especially since Camaro owners take their cars to the track. I'm guessing you don't but I certainly do and I know others do.

I'll try the HID's in the side lights; might work.

I haven't done anything with a diffuser in the back but that can be added. The exhaust pipes fit beneath the rear cowl as-is, so I didn't put a diffuser in it. But I can play with that if people feel that's an important styling feature.

I really appreciate the time those who are putting in constructive comments are taking to put in their suggestions and feedback. :thumb:

SSMKNU2 02-05-2014 08:11 PM

Reminds me of a NSX. Especially with the bridged spoiler.

2SScamaro2010 02-05-2014 08:12 PM

I like it, don't kno if it works for a camaro tho. How would the c pilar look if you brought the bottom of it into the fender and have the top of it follow the rear window. If you understand what I'm trying to say lol

91Zman 02-05-2014 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doc (Post 7397505)

I wasn't actually thinking of it that way originally but now that it's being mentioned, I could see where that could be a selling point.

i'm sorry,meant nothing by it but that's just how it(and most of the pics)looks like to me..a Corvette.:behindsofa:

:wave:

AWSME SS 02-05-2014 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doc (Post 7398141)
I'll drop the roof a bit; didn't realize people would rather have the cramped quarters inside in favor of outside appearance but that can be easily done. The wheelbase is actually shorter than the current Camaro. Because the wheels are 18" the overall proportions make it appear as though the car is larger than it actually is. The long windshield and front design is an attempt to improve gas mileage through a low drag coefficient since the CAFE requirements are going to get worse and worse.

Thank you for the constructive feedback!

Your next comment #508....equally useless as this one? Put in something positive and constructive instead of just mocking.

Wow it's not even close! ??

The rear cooling duct is intended to be functional; especially since Camaro owners take their cars to the track. I'm guessing you don't but I certainly do and I know others do.

I'll try the HID's in the side lights; might work.

I haven't done anything with a diffuser in the back but that can be added. The exhaust pipes fit beneath the rear cowl as-is, so I didn't put a diffuser in it. But I can play with that if people feel that's an important styling feature.

I really appreciate the time those who are putting in constructive comments are taking to put in their suggestions and feedback. :thumb:

The front end definitely is. Sorry.

BlackMamba88 02-06-2014 01:45 AM

The front Remind me of a GT 390 Concept & the rear reminds me of a old school Ferarri Testarossa. It have potential into being a nice economy sporty car but not a Camaro imo.
On another note...
Is the Camaro from the new Transformers gonna be the new Generation?! That thing is hideous, the new generation Mustang is super sexy & still waiting on Dodge to release pics of what they have planned. That C7 is just bad to the bone though. Love what Ive been seeing so far from our American Top Dogs.

Doc 02-06-2014 02:45 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by SSMKNU2 (Post 7398403)
Reminds me of a NSX. Especially with the bridged spoiler.

Actually the bridged spoiler was inspired by the 4th gen Camaro.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2SScamaro2010 (Post 7398407)
I like it, don't kno if it works for a camaro tho. How would the c pilar look if you brought the bottom of it into the fender and have the top of it follow the rear window. If you understand what I'm trying to say lol

I think I understand what you're saying. You want that angled piece at the bottom removed and the C pillar to just go all the way down to the fender?

Quote:

Originally Posted by 91Zman (Post 7398690)
i'm sorry,meant nothing by it but that's just how it(and most of the pics)looks like to me..a Corvette.:behindsofa:

:wave:

No, I wasn't offended. That might actually be a selling point if it helps bring in a new generation of buyers. Right now with Vettes and performance Camaros being up and above $40k that's pretty much out of reach for the younger generations. They would probably respond very well to a muscle car that could be considered a younger person's Corvette. Instead of a Camaro, maybe this could be a new class of Vette, although at that price point it would interfere with the Camaro market, unless this version was a 2-seater like the Vette is. Definitely an interesting idea!

Based on feedback, here's a few snapshots with a revised cabin. I lowered the roof a couple of inches, moved the base of the windshield back 4 inches, moved the entire front of the cabin including the A pillar back 2 inches, moved the base of the rear window forward 2 inches. This sounds like it wouldn't be that much work but it took me almost 2 hours of tweaking to get this to look right. I was surprised at how just lowering the roof threw off the entire look, and how much work it took to get it all rebalanced.

I also straightened the bottom of the fender well edges. As someone pointed out, the previous design although I thought it was cool looking, would have been impractical when trying to remove a wheel.

Attachment 597486
Attachment 597487

mhoskins76 02-06-2014 06:21 AM

Looks good!! Now for the rear brake duct to be functional, would the rear caliper not have to be on the front side of the disc instead of the rear? Or does it really matter?

CarGarage 02-06-2014 09:49 AM

Looks like a Japanese edition of a corvette
Barf

Chevy nsx

CarGarage 02-06-2014 09:51 AM

Proportions are way off

Nobody would ever buy this

Damn good skills though

AWSME SS 02-06-2014 11:52 AM

You should design cars for video games. Those designs would be awesome for that.

orange10ss 02-06-2014 01:29 PM

front end looks like mitsubishi 3000gt.. def not good..

DRKS1D3 02-06-2014 01:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
1995 Acura NSX. End of discussion.

Doc 02-06-2014 03:09 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Yeah I should stop working on creating anything because this:

Attachment 597615

Looks EXACTLY like these...

Attachment 597618
Attachment 597616
Attachment 597617

...mine even has mirrors, headlights and a spoiler! What was I thinking?!!!

You know, some of you really need to stop and think before you post. Do you honestly think there's going to be styles and designs like nothing ever seen before by anyone anywhere? That somehow even though it has 4 wheels, seats, mirrors, windows, headlights, tail lights, engine up front and has to be a "muscle" car, a NEW shape is going to be possible that doesn't even remotely look like anything done before?? Grow up!!! These ridiculous "it looks like (image of car from the past)" posts are absolutely worthless. If you can't be positive and constructive like some of the others in this thread who are doing a great job of getting into the spirit of this effort, then don't even bother posting.

Since we know GM people look at these threads, wouldn't it be great if we could give them the impression we care about design and want to contribute something other than the glaring evidence of what a bunch of immature divas some of the customer base can be? This is a CONCEPT DEVELOPMENT thread with the key word being DEVELOPMENT. I'm taking constructive feedback, ideas and suggestions and putting them into 3 dimensional images. Are any of you negative critics who say this looks like some other car from the past offering anything useful? If you think you "know better" then by all means show us what you've got. CONTRIBUTE like some of the others are or just don't post. If any more of these kinds of useless posts keep showing up which do nothing but waste space and clutter up the thread, I'm going to start asking mods to delete them.

Nobody is making anyone come in here; if you don't like what you see, that's okay...just be specific about what you don't like and why, and offer some suggestions as to what changes you would like to see. Think positive and creative. If you're just going to be condescending, mocking, negative and complain then stay out cause I don't need you in here.

mhoskins76 02-06-2014 03:55 PM

Well said!!

jlcustomz 02-06-2014 03:56 PM

I think you latest version looks a lot better. Wheel wells correct lower shape. The new roofline looks much better to me, while at the same time still gives an increased viewing area over 5th gens. I,d say you nailed it as far as what I was thinking.:thumb:

I think what a lot of people don't realize about gm & others design is how much all overall platforms WILL change shape in the future. All the first cars looked like horseless carriages, next was very boxy, next smoother , but still boxy, on to the fin look years, to longer& smoother, 2 lights to 4 lights to 2 lights, big boats to smaller boxes, to more streamlined, to retro looks , etc, etc. Point is many cars all from same years take on similar looks, partly to chassis designs, manufacturing, & other requirements.
We should be glad the 5th gen Camaros look more like what most consider a Camaro rather than some of the gm concepts no one really wants to remember.
Doc, I have a few other suggestions which I'll just share in a pm, along with a few laughs for you from my insult collections I receive for my stuff.

GretchenGotGrowl 02-06-2014 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doc (Post 7400356)
Yeah I should stop working on creating anything because this:

Attachment 597615

Looks EXACTLY like these...

Attachment 597618
Attachment 597616
Attachment 597617

...mine even has mirrors, headlights and a spoiler! What was I thinking?!!!

You know, some of you really need to stop and think before you post. Do you honestly think there's going to be styles and designs like nothing ever seen before by anyone anywhere? That somehow even though it has 4 wheels, seats, mirrors, windows, headlights, tail lights, engine up front and has to be a "muscle" car, a NEW shape is going to be possible that doesn't even remotely look like anything done before?? Grow up!!! These ridiculous "it looks like (image of car from the past)" posts are absolutely worthless. If you can't be positive and constructive like some of the others in this thread who are doing a great job of getting into the spirit of this effort, then don't even bother posting.

Since we know GM people look at these threads, wouldn't it be great if we could give them the impression we care about design and want to contribute something other than the glaring evidence of what a bunch of immature divas some of the customer base can be? This is a CONCEPT DEVELOPMENT thread with the key word being DEVELOPMENT. I'm taking constructive feedback, ideas and suggestions and putting them into 3 dimensional images. Are any of you negative critics who say this looks like some other car from the past offering anything useful? If you think you "know better" then by all means show us what you've got. CONTRIBUTE like some of the others are or just don't post. If any more of these kinds of useless posts keep showing up which do nothing but waste space and clutter up the thread, I'm going to start asking mods to delete them.

Nobody is making anyone come in here; if you don't like what you see, that's okay...just be specific about what you don't like and why, and offer some suggestions as to what changes you would like to see. Think positive and creative. If you're just going to be condescending, mocking, negative and complain then stay out cause I don't need you in here.

:word:
Design is usually evolutionary and rarely revolutionary. Hell, just changing tail lights sets some people off...

LiquidDragon 02-06-2014 05:19 PM

I like the third one down on the first set of pictures

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/attach...1&d=1391576018

LiquidDragon 02-06-2014 05:20 PM

huge improvement over the last one that i looked at. I like the side profile of this one alot