Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=85)
-   -   No Cats question (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=316459)

Donovanl1685 09-03-2013 01:44 PM

No Cats question

I was thinking about removing my cats, I know it will throw a code. My question is, will it make much louder,Will there be lots of drone? Is there a company that makes off road pipes for stock manifolds so I don't have to cut them out?

Thanks for any help!
Donovan

jessrayo 09-03-2013 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donovanl1685 (Post 6974758)
I was thinking about removing my cats, I know it will throw a code. My question is, will it make much louder,Will there be lots of drone? Is there a company that makes off road pipes for stock manifolds so I don't have to cut them out?

Thanks for any help!
Donovan

I can only tell you that if you take off the stock manifold and cats and just put on headers it gets much louder! I think this is the best way to go but I'm biased.

ZL1-V 09-03-2013 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jessrayo (Post 6974856)
I can only tell you that if you take off the stock manifold and cats and just put on headers it gets much louder! I think this is the best way to go but I'm biased.

I have heard the same response from ZL1 owners that have gone that route and love it. I would have done it already on my ZL1 if I was not residing here in California

orangejuice 09-03-2013 02:31 PM

That would be obnoxiously loud.

LuckyZL-1 09-03-2013 02:46 PM

Quote:

+1

4fbodys 09-03-2013 03:10 PM

I have the jba cat less down pipes on my z and love it. I want long tube headers now but it is really loud now the cat do kill a lot of sound you will need a tune to turn off the cel the stock mufflers do a great job of making it quiet on the highway at cruise it's not much louder at all when the valves for the mufflers close sounds very close to the same as stock

Donovanl1685 09-03-2013 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4fbodys (Post 6975033)
I have the jba cat less down pipes on my z and love it. I want long tube headers now but it is really loud now the cat do kill a lot of sound you will need a tune to turn off the cel the stock mufflers do a great job of making it quiet on the highway at cruise it's not much louder at all when the valves for the mufflers close sounds very close to the same as stock

But it's much louder when it's open? And did you just buy the jba off road pipe god the SS?

4fbodys 09-03-2013 03:46 PM

Much louder when at wide open and louder at idle when cruising on the highway just a little louder not much different than stock. Yes jba off road down pipes http://marylandspeed.com/jba-high-fl...sy-p-2662.html this is the exact pipe from these guys bolted right up less than 45 min

Donovanl1685 09-03-2013 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4fbodys (Post 6975126)
Much louder when at wide open and louder at idle when cruising on the highway just a little louder not much different than stock. Yes jba off road down pipes http://marylandspeed.com/jba-high-fl...sy-p-2662.html this is the exact pipe from these guys bolted right up less than 45 min

Thank you so much bro, one last question.. With the light on does it cause problem or is it just the annoyance of having the light on?

ZL1_Gary 09-03-2013 05:44 PM

the light being on will most likely be due to a catalyst efficiency code where it thinks that the cats are not working correctly. It could throw your AFR off a small bit, but overall I would not be worried about a true problem.

CanadianZL1#992 09-03-2013 06:28 PM

Quote:

I agree!!!! I've got 1 7/8 kooks and cat deletes, my wife said she can hear me round the corner 4 block from the house. I love it

Trackman 09-03-2013 06:50 PM

ADM makes an exhaust control to soften the sound/drone of the headers. Worth its' weight in gold if you ask me. You get the best of both worlds.

CanadianZL1#992 09-03-2013 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trackman (Post 6975613)
ADM makes an exhaust control to soften the sound/drone of the headers. Worth its' weight in gold if you ask me. You get the best of both worlds.

If I put that on my personalized plate makes no sense!!!! I'd have to change it to "MUFFLED Z"

By the way Dan I got an award for my car at the super chevy show last Saturday.

4fbodys 09-03-2013 07:09 PM

The cel is for cat efficiency codes checked them with my hand scanner code p0420 and p0430 bank 1 and bank 2 I drove it with a cel for over 5k and raced it at the track with a cel and no real loss of boost with long tube headers if you don't get a tune you will set codes for o2 sensor slow response