CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=155)
-   -   Rumor: 6th Gen Camaro Coming in 2016 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=190231)

Cam#7 12-27-2011 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DoggyB22 (Post 4221693)
:confused0068::barf::barf:

I mean its ok... But GM SHOULD NOT continue to make modern versions of the older Camaros... I mean after the 6th gen you guys are going to start saying they should make 1974-81 style Camaros! :facepalm: They need to make THEIR OWN look now. They did the whole modern 1969 Camaro look which worked out because it was the rebirth of the Camaro. But that's where it ends. & don't get me wrong I LOVE the look of 5th gens. But the 6th gen shouldn't be its own design.

I'm sorry but honestly you guys are in denial right now....... :iono: yes I love the look of the 5th gen. & yea its sales are beating the Mustang. BUT its sales are only doing that based off looks & it being a Camaro brought back to life. NOT on performance. Plus the Mustangs looks didn't change that much from the 2005-2009 style. Compare the fastest 5.0 GT vs SS. Mustang got it by a long shot. Every one I know or on forums if given a chance to either buy a 5.0 or SS for "performance wise only" would buy the 5.0. I mean the 2010-11 GT weighs like 35xx lbs +- They both make around the same power but the 5.0 is quicker in the 1/4 mile? Part of that is due to weight. I mean my 2001 Z28 weighs 3340 lbs without me in it & with a 1/2 tank. & that's full interior minus the rear seats. If GM can't get the Camaro in the low 35xx - mid 36xx lb range then that's pretty sad!

First, if you had a Gen5 would get it.
Second, I've had a couple of Gen1s and other than the gauges, gills and angle of the front grill; the Gen5 is on it's own.
Third, don't ever worry about the Gen6 taking clues from the Gen4.

HumanWiki 12-27-2011 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fraxum (Post 4217793)
You are very wrong about weight killing the 5th gens. They are by far the best Camaros ever. Strong at the drags and at the track.

:facepalm:

I don't even have a comment for those statements..

DGthe3 12-27-2011 10:18 AM

Quote:

:confused0068::barf::barf:

I mean its ok... But GM SHOULD NOT continue to make modern versions of the older Camaros... I mean after the 6th gen you guys are going to start saying they should make 1974-81 style Camaros! :facepalm: They need to make THEIR OWN look now. They did the whole modern 1969 Camaro look which worked out because it was the rebirth of the Camaro. But that's where it ends. & don't get me wrong I LOVE the look of 5th gens. But the 6th gen shouldn't be its own design.

I'm sorry but honestly you guys are in denial right now....... :iono: yes I love the look of the 5th gen. & yea its sales are beating the Mustang. BUT its sales are only doing that based off looks & it being a Camaro brought back to life. NOT on performance. Plus the Mustangs looks didn't change that much from the 2005-2009 style. Compare the fastest 5.0 GT vs SS. Mustang got it by a long shot. Every one I know or on forums if given a chance to either buy a 5.0 or SS for "performance wise only" would buy the 5.0. I mean the 2010-11 GT weighs like 35xx lbs +- They both make around the same power but the 5.0 is quicker in the 1/4 mile? Part of that is due to weight. I mean my 2001 Z28 weighs 3340 lbs without me in it & with a 1/2 tank. & that's full interior minus the rear seats. If GM can't get the Camaro in the low 35xx - mid 36xx lb range then that's pretty sad!

There is more involved in making a better car than making it faster

*edit*

there are also more ways to make a car faster than reducing weight

The_Blur 12-27-2011 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DGthe3 (Post 4222438)

:word:

Zabo 12-27-2011 02:12 PM

Some food for thought: The Herb Grasse 1967 Camaro prototype show car

http://www.herbgrassedesign.com/Show...7_Camaro_2.jpg

http://www.herbgrassedesign.com/Show...7_Camaro_1.jpg

The XP836:

http://www.holisticpage.com/camaro/images/clay1.jpg

http://www.holisticpage.com/camaro/images/xp836.jpg

So where do you think GM could go from the 5th gen's first gen inspiration, to something to keep these old lines?

Kyle2k 12-27-2011 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DGthe3 (Post 4222438)

I completely agree, some work on the interior will be amazing in the next generation, even if its half as nice as what I see in the upcoming Impala.

*edit*

there are also more ways to make a car faster than reducing weight

You're right,

1) they can also resort to over-engineering a drivetrain that will only make it into 1 or 2 submodels in the entire GM lineup, as well as the ensuing work to bulk up every other component to take the added stress and add weight.

2) they can take advantage of the Alpha platform and its modularity and utilize lighter weight components and inserts while still maintaining strength.

Considering those two options I think they will decide to pick a little more of 2 - when you consider everything (I'm especially thinking cost wise since I KNOW you will bring that up). The ZL1 is going to make people's jaw drop and we know what MR suspension can do on a lighter vehicle (look at the ZR1). The benefits of the new platform are indeed lighter weight and the fact that GM just inked a deal with a carbon fiber manufacturer means they are thinking the same thing. The Camaro really only needs to improve on one thing and that is weight (well- and somewhat the interior- but that is progressing even in the 2012 models). The weight drop will improve the "feel" or make it more "tossable" which I personally don't have complaints with, but those are some of the critical points I have read. Suspension, styling, etc are all there so what is the big deal about wanting lower weight? Seriously? The Camaro is awesome already, but I think even the engineering staff would disagree with you in your adamant defense that it wouldn't be even better with less weight.

BowtieBelle 12-27-2011 02:26 PM

It's already been stated by GM that the 6th gen will NOT be retro...

Mr. Wyndham 12-27-2011 02:26 PM

This sounds like a nice rumor...leaves me plenty of time to enjoy the ZL1 before drooling over a new model. :laugh:

Personally, I can't wait for the 6thgen to roll around. If based on nothing else than current ATS production videos...it should be killer!!!

As for design, size, etc, etc....I'm not worried about it. I'll leave it to them - THEY are the experts...I'm not.

I know what I prefer, though...a *SLIGHTLY* smaller car with an evolutionary design bringing the key features of the Camaro (low-slung stance, wide shoulders, bold expression, sharp lines, and cut windows) into the future with some extra attention given to aerodynamics. Pure retro, I think, will almost certainly fail.

And that's as far as I'll go, because I trust the people on this Camaro team COMPLETELY to make the right decisions with respect to the next generation. That...and I'm not finished enjoying THIS gen, yet. ;)

Zabo 12-27-2011 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BowtieBelle (Post 4223575)
It's already been stated by GM that the 6th gen will NOT be retro...

Yes, but the point of my post was looking at the various show cars and early EARLY concepts of what became the Camaro to determine what lines actually DEFINE a Camaro?

That is, if they'd also rather just toss everything out the window and slap the badge on a totally new car with zero links to it's predecessors. Which at that point.. well.. you might as well pick another name and kill the Camaro badge.

CAMARO-ECSTASY 12-27-2011 02:43 PM

Quote:

GM SHOULD NOT continue to make modern versions of the older Camaros... I mean after the 6th gen you guys are going to start saying they should make 1974-81 style Camaros! :facepalm: They need to make THEIR OWN look now. They did the whole modern 1969 Camaro look which worked out because it was the rebirth of the Camaro. But that's where it ends. & don't get me wrong I LOVE the look of 5th gens. But the 6th gen shouldn't be its own design.

:word:

KMPrenger 12-27-2011 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dragoneye (Post 4223576)
Personally, I can't wait for the 6thgen to roll around. If based on nothing else than current ATS production videos...it should be killer!!!

As for design, size, etc, etc....I'm not worried about it. I'll leave it to them - THEY are the experts...I'm not.

I know what I prefer, though...a *SLIGHTLY* smaller car with an evolutionary design bringing the key features of the Camaro (low-slung stance, wide shoulders, bold expression, sharp lines, and cut windows) into the future with some extra attention given to aerodynamics. Pure retro, I think, will almost certainly fail.

Your right...the ATS is looking great performance-wise right now. It is only about 7 to 8 seconds off the pace of the 2010 Camaro SS on the Nurburgring. Run the next gen Camaro V6 on the same platform with slightly more performance oriented suspension and hopefully a tad less weight than the ATS and I don't see why they couldn't shave another few seconds off of that. Imagine how the V8 would run!?

As far as your description of the styling...you are spot on.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zabo (Post 4223588)
Yes, but the point of my post was looking at the various show cars and early EARLY concepts of what became the Camaro to determine what lines actually DEFINE a Camaro?

That is, if they'd also rather just toss everything out the window and slap the badge on a totally new car with zero links to it's predecessors. Which at that point.. well.. you might as well pick another name and kill the Camaro badge.

You are right, and I think the member I quoted above hits on your points as well. Lets make it new, but keep it a Camaro!

GM, I sure hope you are watching this thread.

Kyle2k 12-27-2011 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KMPrenger (Post 4223993)
Your right...the ATS is looking great performance-wise right now. It is only about 7 to 8 seconds off the pace of the 2010 Camaro SS on the Nurburgring. Run the next gen Camaro V6 on the same platform with slightly more performance oriented suspension and hopefully a tad less weight than the ATS and I don't see why they couldn't shave another few seconds off of that. Imagine how the V8 would run!?

As far as your description of the styling...you are spot on.

You are right, and I think the member I quoted above hits on your points as well. Lets make it new, but keep it a Camaro!

GM, I sure hope you are watching this thread.

Ooooooo where did you hear about the time? Link?

Huggerorange73 12-27-2011 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DoggyB22 (Post 4217757)
PLEASE GM get it in the 35xx-36xx lb range!!! Weight is just killing the Camaros :thumbdown:

:word: I agree 100%

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fraxum (Post 4217793)
You are very wrong about weight killing the 5th gens. They are by far the best Camaros ever. Strong at the drags and at the track. I doubt the 6th gens will be 3,600 pounds. If so, nice, but even 3,600 pounds is still a heavy car.

Seriously? Ever taken your car to the track?!? 2 engines and 2 transmissions put me into a Vette. The current car is too fat for it's weak drivetrain.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DGthe3 (Post 4218351)
If that target weight were so vitally important to the car & market segment, the Mustang would be outselling the Camaro. But last I checked, the Camaro's lead was increasing.

It's outselling the Mustang on looks, go ask anyone who races how inportant looks are. :facepalm:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kyle2k (Post 4218435)
I think he is speaking from an enthusiast's standpoint. Lower weight is never a bad thing. Additionally, if you never strive to improve - you don't.

:bow: Smart man :bow:

Quote:

:word: :thumbup: :word:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cam#7 (Post 4221873)
First, if you had a Gen5 would get it.
Second, I've had a couple of Gen1s and other than the gauges, gills and angle of the front grill; the Gen5 is on it's own.
Third, don't ever worry about the Gen6 taking clues from the Gen4.

Had a 5th gen, just replaced it with a C5 Vette. I get it loud and clear....if you're after looks, get a 5th gen. If you're after performance without exploding parts, look elsewhere.

Mr. Wyndham 12-27-2011 08:34 PM

I sincerely hope there won't any 5th-gen dogging as time progresses towards this new generation...I see absolutely no need for it....:iono:

Improvement on an already great car (that would be the 5th gen) is possible, you know!........:D