Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Nervous about Storing my car for the winter (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=333167)

2SS 2011 12-18-2013 09:07 AM

Nervous about Storing my car for the winter

I have read a ton of posts on this forum about what to do and what not do do and it is freaking me out lol.. I have my car parked in a detached garage non heated but very secure I put the battery tender on it and left.. I haven't seen it in almost 2 weeks.. I'm so happy it's not outside parked on the street where anything could happen when it snows etc and in the long run it will save wear and tear, My sweat and labor doing paint correction after a harsh winter.

I'm probably going to see the car this weekend.. I prob will do that every two weeks I just don't want the tires to get flat spots I have parked my car in front of my apt and did not drive for say 4-5 days sometimes and i get temporary flat spots that correct them selves after a few miles of driving..

I just never did the storage thing before and want to hear from the veterans about if I should worry, leave it alone etc..

Thanks Guys!

Vipercar 12-18-2013 09:10 AM

Not to worry, mine is parked for 7 months and the flat spots come out after a mile or two of driving. Just put a little extra pressure in them to last through the winter. I have only 41/2 months to go, so sad!

dkp2LT 12-18-2013 09:21 AM

^Exactly. Putting a car in storage is one of those things that can be over thought...

JCunningham 12-18-2013 09:51 AM

Just leave it alone. Its mad at you for not living in a state were you can drive it year round.:biggrin:

molsonbrador 12-18-2013 12:06 PM

I hear you OP. "steel wool in the tailpipes, cover it, don't cover it, dryer sheets here and there, don't park on concrete, don't leave suspension hanging, no problem with hanging suspension, don't park it facing north during a full moon" crap it can drive ya nutz. I just told a buddy it aint a Lambo but hell it's my Camaro and I'm p!$$ed it has to be out in the snow! oops, meds time.:crazy:

Josh The People 12-18-2013 01:21 PM

yup mine is stored the exact same way! and im about 3500 km away for it wont see it or touch it till april/may if im lucky. it will be there waiting patiently.:rolleyes:

Sales @ CAI Inc 12-18-2013 03:18 PM

OP- Many people really over analyze this subject. Put the battery on a tender, it should be good to go. Its not like you are storing it for years, I'm assuming its only 3-4 months, not a big deal at all, especially in a climate controlled closed environment.

Diode Dynamics 12-18-2013 03:24 PM

+1 for the battery tender, and possibly some fuel stabilizer in the tank.

Flat spots shouldn't be a concern if you are only storing the car for a few months, but I would move it around every so often for peace of mind.

Nick C.

OHIOSS 12-18-2013 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2SS 2011 (Post 7269137)
I have read a ton of posts on this forum about what to do and what not do do and it is freaking me out lol.. I have my car parked in a detached garage non heated but very secure I put the battery tender on it and left.. I haven't seen it in almost 2 weeks.. I'm so happy it's not outside parked on the street where anything could happen when it snows etc and in the long run it will save wear and tear, My sweat and labor doing paint correction after a harsh winter.

I'm probably going to see the car this weekend.. I prob will do that every two weeks I just don't want the tires to get flat spots I have parked my car in front of my apt and did not drive for say 4-5 days sometimes and i get temporary flat spots that correct them selves after a few miles of driving..

I just never did the storage thing before and want to hear from the veterans about if I should worry, leave it alone etc..

Thanks Guys!

This is the 4th year I've stored it, I store it for 6-7 months every winter. The flat spots are minimal and go away in about 2 miles of driving. I don't keep a battery charger on it, I don't put it up on blocks, I don't put any fuel stabilizer in it, just pull it into the storage building, put the cover on it and walk away. Never a problem in the spring, starts up like I just drove it the day before.

Russ

Iroc-z86 12-18-2013 05:44 PM

Yeah, dont over think it. Both of my camaros have to sit outside :( all they have is a $100 cover on them. Tarps are never a good idea. They trap moister and wont let it dry out. I put fuel stabilizer in the Iroc because it sits more than my RS. At least when there is no salt the RS can be driven.

jshaf 12-18-2013 06:10 PM

I don't store mine but I don't drive it during winter either, I put some seafoam in the tank and fill it up then slap a tender on it and park it in a safe area. while technically not stored I at least keep it from the salt and ashes that the state road uses on the roads around here in the winter! Come late march/early april she will be ready to shred pavement again! :)

soniccj7 12-18-2013 06:14 PM

Going on my 3rd year storing it the same way as you. Battery tender, cover and stable in the tank. It lives in a garage, but it is very dusty and the cover keeps it clean so in the spring I am ready to go.

wayne watson 12-18-2013 06:57 PM

Might as well consider mine in storage for winter, its in the basement beside nova and chevelle with sprinkler system overhead(just in case) and motion sensors as part of home security system.
I don't like to drive it to work and it rains every @$!# weekend

angie7 12-18-2013 07:10 PM

I worried too. This is her 2nd year in storage but I drove it on and off last year. This year I'm not driving it at all. I researched, talked to people, etc. I took some of their advice and tried not to over think it too much. After all its only a few months, not years. So I did:

*full tank of gas with stabilizer
*Wash, clay bar and wax
*Car cover
*Tires on carpet
*Dryer sheets in the trunk, engine bay and all around my car and garage (did not put any on the interior bc I didnt want it to absorb the smell.
*life support (battery tender)
*stuffed the tail pipes
*gave her a pat and said see ya soon baby girl

I go out to my garage every few weeks just to make sure everything's ok and no evidence of mice. So far so good