CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=155)
-   -   New and Improved Convertible? (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=277821)

Jonster 02-18-2013 12:54 PM

New and Improved Convertible?

3 questions:

a) Do you think the convertible will be the same material
b) Do you think they will still have a separate tonneau cover?
c) Would you consider a hard top convertible? (if it were made)

HDRDTD 02-18-2013 12:59 PM

a) yes
b) yes
c) no

v8 02-18-2013 01:13 PM

a) yes
b) Yes
c) possibly

mikeyg36 02-18-2013 02:06 PM

I'd buy a hardtop over a coupe.

jkupa10 02-18-2013 06:20 PM

More than anything I want a built-in hard-cover that makes the car look like it was made to have the top down! (like the corvette)

Mr. iNCREDIBLE 02-18-2013 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkupa10 (Post 6177372)
More than anything I want a built-in hard-cover that makes the car look like it was made to have the top down! (like the corvette)

^^^^^ THIS

IMO WTH is the point of having a convertible if you have to get out and put a cover over the top.

personally I don't unless I am going on a long trip, IMO I should be able to drop top from start point and raise top at end point with any excess work.

a power hard top COVER is what these cars should have had..

dorfmac 02-19-2013 08:56 AM

I would not consider a convertible unless it was a hardtop. I would LOVE to see a hardtop option on the next gen. One reason is it just doesn't look good to me to have, say, a red car, and then a black/cloth top on it. The hardtop would allow you to carry the color throughout.

jkupa10 02-19-2013 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. iNCREDIBLE (Post 6177387)
^^^^^ THIS

IMO WTH is the point of having a convertible if you have to get out and put a cover over the top.

personally I don't unless I am going on a long trip, IMO I should be able to drop top from start point and raise top at end point with any excess work.

a power hard top COVER is what these cars should have had..

I actually used my tonneau cover for the first month I had the car, and then it blew off on the highway.
I haven't used it since.

And I don't like the whole exposed internals look. If they give us a proper power hard cover like the corvette has I will definitely buy a gen6 convertible.

Roll_the_Dice 02-19-2013 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dorfmac (Post 6179627)
I would not consider a convertible unless it was a hardtop. I would LOVE to see a hardtop option on the next gen. One reason is it just doesn't look good to me to have, say, a red car, and then a black/cloth top on it. The hardtop would allow you to carry the color throughout.

I am exact opposite. I would not buy a hardtop convertible. I want a convertible to look like a convertible not a coupe. I also like the color contrast...because we all know the black hoods on the 1LE look horrible. :confused0068: :sm0:

So to answer the OP:

Yes
Yes
No

Angrybird 12 02-19-2013 05:52 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

I guess you think mine does not look good then :(

FINALLYSATISFIED 02-19-2013 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 (Post 6182009)

Some of us aren't fans of the convertible. I'm not personally, but would be interested in a hardtop. Not knocking your ride but just how I feel.

Angrybird 12 02-19-2013 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FINALLYSATISFIED (Post 6182044)
Some of us aren't fans of the convertible. I'm not personally, but would be interested in a hardtop.

You do realize how much more weight a hardtop would add.... Plus it would probably take up every bit of trunk space when down instead of just half like a cloth top...

Roll_the_Dice 02-19-2013 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 (Post 6182099)
You do realize how much more weight a hardtop would add.... Plus it would probably take up every bit of trunk space when down instead of just half like a cloth top...

You are right...the convertible weighs enough as it is. I looked a 3 series BMW last year and with the top down there was very little trunk space.

jkupa10 02-19-2013 06:16 PM

Black car + black ragtop + built in black power hard-top = top down perfection

:thumbsup:

Angrybird 12 02-19-2013 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roll_the_Dice (Post 6182115)
You are right...the convertible weighs enough as it is. I looked a 3 series BMW last year and with the top down there was very little trunk space.

When my wife and I went to pick ours up last June we drove home most of the way with the top down, about 600 miles. We had a weeks worth of clothes and her hair dryer in the trunk. We had no problem with space... But then we had a lot of experience packing a small trunk when we would take trips in our Saturn Sky.. Talk about no trunk space......

FINALLYSATISFIED 02-19-2013 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 (Post 6182099)

Weight isn't an issue for me if it was I'd own a lighter vehicle, 5th Gens have some weight issues to begin with. Camaro with a hardtop would be visually more appealing to me then a convertible.

Glasstop2010RS 02-19-2013 06:58 PM

Next Gen. Convertible

Quote:

Good point & one I can support !

77rs 02-19-2013 09:28 PM

The camaro needs a white top option. I had a red '64 impala conv. and a dark blue one- both came with white tops- striking color contrast!

tramtwo 02-19-2013 09:55 PM

looks were not the problem with the 1st run verts it was function... something I think GM finally got a handle on... not sure if i'd ever own one again

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/pictur...ictureid=61665

dorfmac 02-19-2013 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 (Post 6182009)

Don't mean to say it looks "bad" - I guess what I mean is it wouldn't be my first choice. While your car does look good, I'm not a fan of the two tone look and wouldn't consider it without a hardtop.

Previously I owned a Lexus SC430 which was a hardtop convertible. Loved having the hardtop, and the lack of trunk space with a hardtop is counteracted by the "back seat" if a bag didn't fit in my trunk, it fit there instead. I assume that 99% of the time, we don't have people in the back seat anyways so it would be rare that storage space actually would be an issue

Angrybird 12 02-19-2013 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dorfmac (Post 6183211)
Don't mean to say it looks "bad" - I guess what I mean is it wouldn't be my first choice. While your car does look good, I'm not a fan of the two tone look and wouldn't consider it without a hardtop.

Previously I owned a Lexus SC430 which was a hardtop convertible. Loved having the hardtop, and the lack of trunk space with a hardtop is counteracted by the "back seat" if a bag didn't fit in my trunk, it fit there instead. I assume that 99% of the time, we don't have people in the back seat anyways so it would be rare that storage space actually would be an issue

I understand what your saying but prefer the trunk if at all possible.

IncrediblyX 02-20-2013 07:50 AM

1. Yes.
2. No. I don't use one. I just put the top up when I park somewhere.
3. Maybe. Depends on how it looks. Most of the hardtops I've seen are ugly as crap.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/pictur...ictureid=98428

IncrediblyX 02-20-2013 07:52 AM

YUCK. As you see, cloth tops are dead sexy both top up and top down.

http://a3.ec-images.myspacecdn.com/i...45fe05fa/l.jpg

Angrybird 12 02-20-2013 07:58 AM

To the OP.
A yes
B yes
C no, for the reasons I stated earlier...

I usually use my Tonneau cover when I am going to be driving on the interstate with the top down or going to be out most of the day. I think the flapping is harder on the top, it's not that hard to put on and take off. No more than a minute. The newer style won't fly off like the early ones did. If you have the one with bungee cords instead of the plastic clips you will be ok....just remember you either have to order the tonneau separately if you get a 1LT or 1SS,or get a 2LT or 2SS to have it included.

IncrediblyX 02-20-2013 08:04 AM

I need my trunk! I use my car to run errands and shuttle my kids to and from school. With the top down, of course.

Blau camaro 02-20-2013 09:03 AM

Retractable hardtop only. Best of both worlds, who needs a trunk when one has a sport car?

v6sonoma 02-20-2013 09:05 AM

They will use the same material and it will most likely have a separate cover.

I would love to see a hard top vert but I doubt they would make one. They didn't have great success with the XLR and G6 sales wise (even though the reasons had little to do with the top) and they are an expensive option that adds weight. Even though they are moving to a lighter platform I see them sticking to the cloth top. Especially if the Mustang still has a cloth top.

Jonster 02-20-2013 10:11 AM

seems like the general consensus is

Yes

Yes

Yes and No
Yes- I would love the best of both worlds and weight doesn't bother me...who needs a trunk?!
No- I like the cloth look and my trunk space. I just wish they would fix that damn tonneau cover or get rid of it.

Sound about right?

Angrybird 12 02-20-2013 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonster (Post 6184955)
seems like the general consensus is

Yes

Yes

Yes and No
Yes- I would love the best of both worlds and weight doesn't bother me...who needs a trunk?!
No- I like the cloth look and my trunk space. I just wish they would fix that damn tonneau cover or get rid of it.
Sound about right?

What do you mean fix the tonneau cover? No problems with mine to be fixed.

Jonster 02-20-2013 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 (Post 6184991)
What do you mean fix the tonneau cover? No problems with mine to be fixed.

by fix i mean make it part of of the car: i.e. corvette or implement it somehow where it isn't a "separate piece"

Angrybird 12 02-20-2013 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonster (Post 6185376)
by fix i mean make it part of of the car: i.e. corvette or implement it somehow where it isn't a "separate piece"

They could make it like the Saturn Sky was. The trunk lid opens to the rear and the top folds up under the entire deck lid. But then it would make the mechanism even more complicated if its to be powered, and it would completely alter the roofline with the top up. At least ours has the same general shape as the coupe.

dorfmac 02-20-2013 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 (Post 6186620)
They could make it like the Saturn Sky was. The trunk lid opens to the rear and the top folds up under the entire deck lid. But then it would make the mechanism even more complicated if its to be powered, and it would completely alter the roofline with the top up. At least ours has the same general shape as the coupe.

This is how my Lexus was and I loved that system. Looks entirely seamless with the top up or down.

PDILLON 02-21-2013 10:44 AM

Will GM replace the early ones with the clips or add the bungee cords to them ?

Angrybird 12 02-21-2013 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PDILLON (Post 6190037)
Will GM replace the early ones with the clips or add the bungee cords to them ?

You didn't hear this from me but I heard someone say if it gets damaged and you tell them it came off while driving they will replace it with the new design.... But the damage has to look like it hit the road and skidded at 60 MPH.....
But again you didn't hear that from me....:thumbsup:

jkupa10 02-21-2013 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 (Post 6190056)
You didn't hear this from me but I heard someone say if it gets damaged and you tell them it came off while driving they will replace it with the new design.... But the damage has to look like it hit the road and skidded at 60 MPH.....
But again you didn't hear that from me....:thumbsup:

I have the new design with the bungee cords and all... still came off while driving on the highway... at 70 MPH. :thumbdown:

Angrybird 12 02-21-2013 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkupa10 (Post 6191099)
I have the new design with the bungee cords and all... still came off while driving on the highway... at 70 MPH. :thumbdown:

You had to have put it on wrong or forgot to hook the bungees, mine has always been tight at all speeds no movement at all.

Jonster 02-22-2013 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 (Post 6191124)
You had to have put it on wrong or forgot to hook the bungees, mine has always been tight at all speeds no movement at all.

Although I do agree with you Angrybird, you know how when you place the cover on you have to make sure the front is "digged" in between the crack? A lot of people forget to do that and it picks up wind. Even though that would be human error, it is kinda stupid that this cover isn't a snap on thing or zipper.

Angrybird 12 02-22-2013 07:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonster (Post 6193947)
Although I do agree with you Angrybird, you know how when you place the cover on you have to make sure the front is "digged" in between the crack? A lot of people forget to do that and it picks up wind. Even though that would be human error, it is kinda stupid that this cover isn't a snap on thing or zipper.

That would fall under the "put it on wrong" part.

classicrockr 02-26-2013 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 (Post 6193950)
That would fall under the "put it on wrong" part.

After the dealer replaced the entire top & frame, the arms sat up higher when the top was retracted. Now the tonneau won't stay on above 60 mph. This was installed on 19 June. Dealer said "this is the new one that's coming out, we just got it early".
From what I've seen on the boards here, the new top wasn't realeased until about 26 June, so who knows which one I really have.

Angrybird 12 02-26-2013 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by classicrockr (Post 6211681)
After the dealer replaced the entire top & frame, the arms sat up higher when the top was retracted. Now the tonneau won't stay on above 60 mph. This was installed on 19 June. Dealer said "this is the new one that's coming out, we just got it early".
From what I've seen on the boards here, the new top wasn't realeased until about 26 June, so who knows which one I really have.

I'm sure it just needs a little more adjusting to make it go down more.