Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   About Gas stations (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77063)

ssftw 04-13-2010 10:37 AM

About Gas stations

Way back in the days, when i first had a sports car that i really cared and started concerning myself about what gas i put in the tank of my car, and now with my camaro, i still hold fast to what i've been told in the past weather it was false or not. But i find myself always trying to find a BP or Amoco stations when possible, to only fill up at. You find urself having a favorite station as well? Also i always avoid the mom and pops gas stations or old stations for heard over the years the old tanks they may still have may have a lot of "junk" in the tanks and just better to avoid it! also to be on the safe side, whenever i see a Tanker truck filling up the tanks, i drive on by, for i hear that any sediments in the tanks gets stirred up when being filled, and again for peace of mind i'd much rather drive to the next station. so am i crazy for thinking these things or do we all share the same concerns. And i betcha being i mentioned these things , weather it be true or not, i betcha some of ya will think twice about filling up at a station where the tanker is refilling the tanks hehe :P

CJay 04-13-2010 10:52 AM

I tend to fill up at the mobil station up the block from my house. I'll use Sunoco or Shell if one is around and I need gas too.

Dboy23 04-13-2010 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ssftw (Post 1714124)
Way back in the days, when i first had a sports car that i really cared and started concerning myself about what gas i put in the tank of my car, and now with my camaro, i still hold fast to what i've been told in the past weather it was false or not. But i find myself always trying to find a BP or Amoco stations when possible, to only fill up at. You find urself having a favorite station as well? Also i always avoid the mom and pops gas stations or old stations for heard over the years the old tanks they may still have may have a lot of "junk" in the tanks and just better to avoid it! also to be on the safe side, whenever i see a Tanker truck filling up the tanks, i drive on by, for i hear that any sediments in the tanks gets stirred up when being filled, and again for peace of mind i'd much rather drive to the next station. so am i crazy for thinking these things or do we all share the same concerns. And i betcha being i mentioned these things , weather it be true or not, i betcha some of ya will think twice about filling up at a station where the tanker is refilling the tanks hehe :P

Personally I only use Sunoco (we own one) other than that what your saying about the mom and pop gas stations is very wrong. Nowadays the City comes out monthly to check and make sure all the readings and every probe and every little thing is on point or they won't let you even sell gas. Just thought you might like to know.

wylde1 04-13-2010 11:01 AM

I try to use shell V-power, the car seems to love it

eitek1 04-13-2010 11:02 AM

If I am not mistaken common pumps in use have a fairly large filter element in the pump itself to capture any sediment that might make it to the pump.

Also a little known fact is... All gas at the stations are the same. What you are paying for at different stations is the additives. The "base" gas is the same the additives are just more expensive.

You didn't honestly think they were trucking that gas from a different refinery did you?

67 Convertible 04-13-2010 11:04 AM

I've bought my gas at the same no name "mom and pop" gas station for the last 20 years or more. The reason is they are consistently 5-10 cents per gallon lower than everyone else in the area. I'm happy to support a local mom and pop business, and have never experienced any ill effects from using their no name gasoline.

knowitman 04-13-2010 11:08 AM

While there might be a small amount of sediment that is stirred up, your car has a fuel filter for a reason. The only difference in gas comes from whether or not the station's supplier puts in the minimum amount of detergents or goes above and beyond the minimum in their gas.

06MonteSS 04-13-2010 11:09 AM

I wouldn't touch Shell... I don't even run it in my tractor...

Shell gas tends to cause a lot of KR...

used to use it myself when I first got my Monte... then once I got my programmer and did some data logging, I had a TON of KR...

switched to Mobil 93 instead, and within 1/4 - 1/2 tank, all of that KR vitrually disappeared...

and this has happened with every car I've done tunes for... I can pick it out by the persons data log file when they put in Shell gas compared to their normal brand, because the KR goes way up.

don't use Shell...

WadeWilson 04-13-2010 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 06MonteSS (Post 1714246)
I wouldn't touch Shell... I don't even run it in my tractor...

Shell gas tends to cause a lot of KR...

used to use it myself when I first got my Monte... then once I got my programmer and did some data logging, I had a TON of KR...

switched to Mobil 93 instead, and within 1/4 - 1/2 tank, all of that KR vitrually disappeared...

and this has happened with every car I've done tunes for... I can pick it out by the persons data log file when they put in Shell gas compared to their normal brand, because the KR goes way up.

don't use Shell...

What he said. I just recently found out about the Shell gas doing this. No more Shell for my car.

nova 04-13-2010 11:15 AM

I use Texaco/Chevron when available.

Quote:

Originally Posted by eitek1 (Post 1714225)
Also a little known fact is... All gas at the stations are the same. What you are paying for at different stations is the additives. The "base" gas is the same the additives are just more expensive.

You didn't honestly think they were trucking that gas from a different refinery did you?

Yep

http://www.pipeline101.com/overview/products-pl.html

When a company puts a gallon of fuel into pipe, they can immediately take a gallon of fuel out somewhere else along the pipe. Thats typically done at bulk plants where the additive packages are put in, its loaded onto tankers and delivered to the station.

JHart 04-13-2010 11:15 AM

there's a place in town that uses their gas with no ethanol. it's a mom n pop place. and my camaro has been gettin gas there since day one. occasionally when i run low i'll go somewhere, but the car to me doesn't like the 10 or 15% ethanol, though it could just be a mind trick.

ron10 04-13-2010 11:17 AM

this is interesting to know,because shell is supposed to be a "top tier" gas recommended by GM.

brtaus 04-13-2010 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nova (Post 1714277)
I use Texaco/Chevron when available.

:word:

Bbrock25 04-13-2010 11:23 AM

Only used 93 Octane at Sunoco.