Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   15% Ethanol, Your Camaro, Should We Care? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=604347)

Moto-Mojo 04-13-2022 07:58 AM

15% Ethanol, Your Camaro, Should We Care?

Welp, Enviro-Greta is not going to be happy with the increase in ethanol coming to our gasoline. No one will be happy with lower fuel mileage but more importantly...

> Should we be concerned about possible damage to our engines?

> If you're tuned, should you consider altering it to accommodate the new 15% 'summer blend?'

> Is there any validity to these ethanol engine concerns at all?

> Should we invest in corn futures? :smiling1:

SS 310H55A 04-13-2022 08:05 AM

I had thought it was only certain states and areas that’ll get 15% ethanol. This won’t be widespread through the US, will it?

Moto-Mojo 04-13-2022 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SS 310H55A (Post 11160167)
I had thought it was only certain states and areas that’ll get 15% ethanol. This won’t be widespread through the US, will it?

It’s my understanding it will be national. But I could be wrong.

“Will it affect the engine
Since the early days, vehicle owners had always been worried if blended petrol will affect their engines. A 5% blend may not affect the engines, but 10% mix could create problems. The increase in the amount of ethanol could result in damage to some plastic, rubber and aluminium components. And this could affect the durability of fuel pipes, injectors and hoses.”

I guess if we experience these problems we can just do what everyone else does, blame Putin!

redcoats1976 04-13-2022 08:13 AM

just more BS from the party in charge.they are going to increase the ethanol content to lower the per gallon price of fuel,which will have two effects.less MPG,which negates the supposed lower cost of fuel,and an increase in the price of other corn products such as food.isnt our current inflation rate bad enough?throw in the unknown effects of an additional 5% ethanol on our vehicles and what it will cost us in repairs later on....is everyone in washington lobotomised or is this just another way to tighten the screws on the working class?

Scotavo 04-13-2022 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redcoats1976 (Post 11160174)
...is everyone in washington lobotomised or is this just another way to tighten the screws on the working class?

Both

NOT A 45 04-13-2022 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moto-Mojo (Post 11160161)
Welp, Enviro-Greta is not going to be happy with the increase in ethanol coming to our gasoline. No one will be happy with lower fuel mileage but more importantly...

> Should we be concerned about possible damage to our engines?

> If you're tuned, should you consider altering it to accommodate the new 15% 'summer blend?'

> Is there any validity to these ethanol engine concerns at all?

> Should we invest in corn futures? :smiling1:

Straight off the latest GM service bulletin 05-00-89-072E dated March 22 2022.

E85 FUELS: Only vehicles designated for use with E85 should use E85 blended fuel. E85 compatibility is designated for vehicles that are certified to run on up to 85% ethanol and 15% gasoline. All other gasoline engines are designed to run on fuel that contains no more than 10% ethanol. Use of fuel containing greater than 10% ethanol in non-E85 designated vehicles can cause driveability issues, service engine soon indicators as well as increased fuel system corrosion.

This president is a idiot! GM, Ford, and Chrysler will most assuredly have something to say about this.

Scotavo 04-13-2022 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NOT A 45 (Post 11160177)

This president is a idiot! GM, Ford, and Chrysler will most assuredly have something to say about this.

The President, isn't. This is the policy of the entrenched uni-party. Same as Europe.

Moto-Mojo 04-13-2022 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scotavo (Post 11160192)
The President, isn't. This is the policy of the entrenched uni-party. Same as Europe.

You mean that party that Putin was willing to go to war over to avoid being forced into? :O

Scotavo 04-13-2022 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moto-Mojo (Post 11160201)
You mean that party that Putin was willing to go to war over to avoid being forced into? :O

Yes

Scotavo 04-13-2022 09:09 AM

The war in Europe:
One side wants Globalism, outsourcing of industry, open borders and unlimited immigration from the Middle East and Africa and the validation of secular values including abortion for birth control for those too incompetent to effectively use contraception.
Russia, the other side, doesn't.

xc_SS/RS 04-13-2022 09:36 AM

No the computer will likely be able to compensate for the extra blend

Also, keep in mind there are only 2,300 stations out of 150,000+ in the country that sell E15 fuels. So its not making as large of an impact as they want you to believe it is. Its pathetic

SS 310H55A 04-13-2022 09:38 AM

^^yep not every station will be selling the 15% crap

xc_SS/RS 04-13-2022 09:44 AM

This whole idea of “my car wont survive 15% ethanol!” is really pathetic. Seals are not rated for xx.xx% of alcohol to my knowledge. They are rated to survive alcohol period.

What do we do to make our cars flex fuel capable? Add a sensor and tell the ecu to use it to read the alcohol % in the fuel. We dont change seals or gaskets or fuel lines….

NOT A 45 04-13-2022 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xc_SS/RS (Post 11160231)
This whole idea of “my car wont survive 15% ethanol!” is really pathetic. Seals are not rated for xx.xx% of alcohol to my knowledge. They are rated to survive alcohol period.

What do we do to make our cars flex fuel capable? Add a sensor and tell the ecu to use it to read the alcohol % in the fuel. We dont change seals or gaskets or fuel lines….

But you do change the injectors. We already have a high rate of injector problems, I look for this to create more. Bad for the customer, good for me.