CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=155)
-   -   New and Improved Convertible? (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=277821)

Blau camaro 02-20-2013 09:03 AM

Retractable hardtop only. Best of both worlds, who needs a trunk when one has a sport car?

v6sonoma 02-20-2013 09:05 AM

They will use the same material and it will most likely have a separate cover.

I would love to see a hard top vert but I doubt they would make one. They didn't have great success with the XLR and G6 sales wise (even though the reasons had little to do with the top) and they are an expensive option that adds weight. Even though they are moving to a lighter platform I see them sticking to the cloth top. Especially if the Mustang still has a cloth top.

Jonster 02-20-2013 10:11 AM

seems like the general consensus is

a) Do you think the convertible will be the same material
Yes

b) Do you think they will still have a separate tonneau cover?
Yes

c) Would you consider a hard top convertible? (if it were made)
Yes and No
Yes- I would love the best of both worlds and weight doesn't bother me...who needs a trunk?!
No- I like the cloth look and my trunk space. I just wish they would fix that damn tonneau cover or get rid of it.

Sound about right?

Angrybird 12 02-20-2013 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonster (Post 6184955)
seems like the general consensus is

a) Do you think the convertible will be the same material
Yes

b) Do you think they will still have a separate tonneau cover?
Yes

c) Would you consider a hard top convertible? (if it were made)
Yes and No
Yes- I would love the best of both worlds and weight doesn't bother me...who needs a trunk?!
No- I like the cloth look and my trunk space. I just wish they would fix that damn tonneau cover or get rid of it.
Sound about right?

What do you mean fix the tonneau cover? No problems with mine to be fixed.

Jonster 02-20-2013 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 (Post 6184991)
What do you mean fix the tonneau cover? No problems with mine to be fixed.

by fix i mean make it part of of the car: i.e. corvette or implement it somehow where it isn't a "separate piece"

Angrybird 12 02-20-2013 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonster (Post 6185376)
by fix i mean make it part of of the car: i.e. corvette or implement it somehow where it isn't a "separate piece"

They could make it like the Saturn Sky was. The trunk lid opens to the rear and the top folds up under the entire deck lid. But then it would make the mechanism even more complicated if its to be powered, and it would completely alter the roofline with the top up. At least ours has the same general shape as the coupe.

dorfmac 02-20-2013 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 (Post 6186620)
They could make it like the Saturn Sky was. The trunk lid opens to the rear and the top folds up under the entire deck lid. But then it would make the mechanism even more complicated if its to be powered, and it would completely alter the roofline with the top up. At least ours has the same general shape as the coupe.

This is how my Lexus was and I loved that system. Looks entirely seamless with the top up or down.

PDILLON 02-21-2013 10:44 AM

Will GM replace the early ones with the clips or add the bungee cords to them ?

Angrybird 12 02-21-2013 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PDILLON (Post 6190037)
Will GM replace the early ones with the clips or add the bungee cords to them ?

You didn't hear this from me but I heard someone say if it gets damaged and you tell them it came off while driving they will replace it with the new design.... But the damage has to look like it hit the road and skidded at 60 MPH.....
But again you didn't hear that from me....:thumbsup:

jkupa10 02-21-2013 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 (Post 6190056)
You didn't hear this from me but I heard someone say if it gets damaged and you tell them it came off while driving they will replace it with the new design.... But the damage has to look like it hit the road and skidded at 60 MPH.....
But again you didn't hear that from me....:thumbsup:

I have the new design with the bungee cords and all... still came off while driving on the highway... at 70 MPH. :thumbdown:

Angrybird 12 02-21-2013 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkupa10 (Post 6191099)
I have the new design with the bungee cords and all... still came off while driving on the highway... at 70 MPH. :thumbdown:

You had to have put it on wrong or forgot to hook the bungees, mine has always been tight at all speeds no movement at all.

Jonster 02-22-2013 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 (Post 6191124)
You had to have put it on wrong or forgot to hook the bungees, mine has always been tight at all speeds no movement at all.

Although I do agree with you Angrybird, you know how when you place the cover on you have to make sure the front is "digged" in between the crack? A lot of people forget to do that and it picks up wind. Even though that would be human error, it is kinda stupid that this cover isn't a snap on thing or zipper.

Angrybird 12 02-22-2013 07:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonster (Post 6193947)
Although I do agree with you Angrybird, you know how when you place the cover on you have to make sure the front is "digged" in between the crack? A lot of people forget to do that and it picks up wind. Even though that would be human error, it is kinda stupid that this cover isn't a snap on thing or zipper.

That would fall under the "put it on wrong" part.

classicrockr 02-26-2013 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 (Post 6193950)
That would fall under the "put it on wrong" part.

After the dealer replaced the entire top & frame, the arms sat up higher when the top was retracted. Now the tonneau won't stay on above 60 mph. This was installed on 19 June. Dealer said "this is the new one that's coming out, we just got it early".
From what I've seen on the boards here, the new top wasn't realeased until about 26 June, so who knows which one I really have.

Angrybird 12 02-26-2013 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by classicrockr (Post 6211681)
After the dealer replaced the entire top & frame, the arms sat up higher when the top was retracted. Now the tonneau won't stay on above 60 mph. This was installed on 19 June. Dealer said "this is the new one that's coming out, we just got it early".
From what I've seen on the boards here, the new top wasn't realeased until about 26 June, so who knows which one I really have.

I'm sure it just needs a little more adjusting to make it go down more.

CindyInIndy 02-26-2013 02:39 PM

This whole tonneau issue thing is the one thing I'm not looking forward to with my new convertible coming. My 2008 Mitsubishi Eclipse has an awesome convertible system. I been driving it for over 4 1/2 years without any issues at all.

Jonster 02-26-2013 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CindyInIndy (Post 6211998)
This whole tonneau issue thing is the one thing I'm not looking forward to with my new convertible coming. My 2008 Mitsubishi Eclipse has an awesome convertible system. I been driving it for over 4 1/2 years without any issues at all.

If there was a breakdown for the tonneau cover...
75% never touch it or don't have one
15% use it sparingly for long drives or highway driving
10% use it every drive
Most people just get use to the top flapping in the wind.
This is just my observation on camaro5.

jkupa10 02-26-2013 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 (Post 6191124)

Nope, it was flapping around at first so I pulled over to check it because I thought the same thing. Couldn't find anything out of place, but I took it off and put it back on just to make sure. Next thing I know it flies right out, but the bungees held it to the car. Scuffed up the clips and ripped the little foam spacers right off. Still can't figure out how air was getting under it.

Angrybird 12 02-26-2013 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkupa10 (Post 6212378)
Nope, it was flapping around at first so I pulled over to check it because I thought the same thing. Couldn't find anything out of place, but I took it off and put it back on just to make sure. Next thing I know it flies right out, but the bungees held it to the car. Scuffed up the clips and ripped the little foam spacers right off. Still can't figure out how air was getting under it.

That just doesn't make sense unless like someone else mentioned maybe your top doesn't sit low enough in the well so the cover isn't fitting correctly. I used mine a lot and it never has even acted like it wanted to come off. I wish I could see how yours looked when installed so I could compare it to the way mine sits.

jkupa10 02-26-2013 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 (Post 6212592)
That just doesn't make sense unless like someone else mentioned maybe your top doesn't sit low enough in the well so the cover isn't fitting correctly. I used mine a lot and it never has even acted like it wanted to come off. I wish I could see how yours looked when installed so I could compare it to the way mine sits.

I never had any problems with it before that day. There was air getting under it somehow... I couldn't figure it out and got frustrated so it hasn't seen outside of my trunk since. Once Spring rolls around I'll have to look at it more closely.

HDRDTD 02-26-2013 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkupa10 (Post 6212732)
I never had any problems with it before that day. There was air getting under it somehow... I couldn't figure it out and got frustrated so it hasn't seen outside of my trunk since. Once Spring rolls around I'll have to look at it more closely.

You DID tuck the front edge of the cover down behind the rear seat?

jkupa10 02-26-2013 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HDRDTD (Post 6213227)
You DID tuck the front edge of the cover down behind the rear seat?

Yes, always. Like I said somehow air was still getting under there and picked it up, I couldn't figure it out. It didn't seem like there was anywhere air could even possibly get in ... maybe between the leather and plastic parts? I don't know... :iono:

bkscott 02-26-2013 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blau camaro (Post 6184680)
Retractable hardtop only. Best of both worlds, who needs a trunk when one has a sport car?

Those Retractable hardtops have issues of their own. They squeak, creak, and rattle. The ones on the Mercedes Sl have to be adjusted ever so often.

Supercamaro64 02-27-2013 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blau camaro (Post 6184680)

i agree completely. I dont have a 5th gen, but i dont use my camaro to haul stuff, thats what the burb is for! But before i had my truck, i did go camping with the camaro once. 3 days, me and my dad, we made do with no space! :D (no trunk space either, i have subs back there ;) )

Algeron 02-27-2013 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 (Post 6184491)
To the OP.
A yes
B yes
C no, for the reasons I stated earlier...

I usually use my Tonneau cover when I am going to be driving on the interstate with the top down or going to be out most of the day. I think the flapping is harder on the top, it's not that hard to put on and take off. No more than a minute. The newer style won't fly off like the early ones did. If you have the one with bungee cords instead of the plastic clips you will be ok....just remember you either have to order the tonneau separately if you get a 1LT or 1SS,or get a 2LT or 2SS to have it included.

Honestly, I have yet to use my tonneau cover (nor have I taken it out the trunk). The most I have driven with with top down has been about 5-10 miles around town. However, do you know when they added the one with the bungee cords?