CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=155)
-   -   Official: 6th Gen Camaro Production to Move to U.S. Lansing Grand River Plant (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=266635)

Todd in Vancouver 12-26-2013 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldfriend (Post 7287020)
Whatever you are on , it's not working for you
You may or may not still have time to recover from it
But if you never try , you will never know , and that's a darn shame

^^^^Hahahahaha :pound:

FenwickHockey65 12-26-2013 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Todd in Vancouver (Post 7287226)
Nope didn't say that, or I am really misunderstanding the deal as it was laid out. Are they paying the UAW folks building the Caddys $15/hr??because that's what the statement read. In fact what I said is I have no doubt that they can build a quality piece but it appears like GM is cutting a deal to limit the wages on the new Camaro assembly line.

Thought I was clear it has nothing to do with where but a lot to do with paying a living wage. Hey, if I'm wrong and $15/hr is a good wage for those parts then great but I highly doubt it. But then again I live in Vancouver one go the most expensive places in the world so it might be I just not understanding.

Or the next-gen Camaro is going on Alpha and it just makes sense to consolidate all Alpha production into one plant.

KMPrenger 12-26-2013 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Todd in Vancouver (Post 7287226)
Nope didn't say that, or I am really misunderstanding the deal as it was laid out. Are they paying the UAW folks building the Caddys $15/hr??because that's what the statement read. In fact what I said is I have no doubt that they can build a quality piece but it appears like GM is cutting a deal to limit the wages on the new Camaro assembly line.

Thought I was clear it has nothing to do with where but a lot to do with paying a living wage. Hey, if I'm wrong and $15/hr is a good wage for those parts then great but I highly doubt it. But then again I live in Vancouver one go the most expensive places in the world so it might be I just not understanding.

Whether the guys on the line get paid 15/hr or 25/hr the final product is still going to come out pretty much the same (sure they might pay a bit more attention for defects or what not). I'm not saying the guys on the line don't affect quality. But its the actual designers and engineers that that are laying out the ground work for the engine, chasis, and other components that are going to have a bigger impact on quality in my opinion, and I'm guessing those people are getting paid just fine.

Todd in Vancouver 12-26-2013 01:08 PM

FH65, I can totally indeed understand that it's a business decision but the question in the thread seems to be one of what we can expect from a move of the Camaro to a different plant. Everyone loves the current production, for the most part, and the move back South of the car does raise some concerns. There is absolutely no doubt the car can be great, but for that matter it can be great built anywhere given the right circumstances.

My question to you, as I'm currently reading your other thread and you are the GM guy, is are they cutting a different deal for the Camaro facility than they are the Caddy one? Or, are they just going to blend it into the same line and production personnel? Seeing as they have already stated that the Camaro production will have a $15-$19/hr wage expectation I don't understand how they can do it.
We've all seen the news stories on how hard Detroit has been hit and the jobs are very much needed. But is it realistic to expect a pride in workmanship and stability at these lower wages? Or if I'm out to lunch on this and that's a good going wage for the area then by all means let me know. Maybe someone from the area can chime in because I just don't see how it can have long term viability.

FenwickHockey65 12-26-2013 01:18 PM

Honestly I don't believe it has anything to do with demographics or wage costs. Traditionally GM has always tried to build vehicles on the same platform in the same assembly plant. It just makes sense. For the longest time Oshawa has been an odd assortment of completely random cars, Zeta Camaros, EpII SWB Regals, Premium Epsilon Impala/XTS, Theta-II Equinox final assembly, hell there's still W-body Impala Limited production.

And again, LGR is the same plant that churns out ATS and CTS. Arguably two of the best-executed GM vehicles in decades (and yes, much better than Camaro). The level of quality there isn't an issue.

Canada isn't the end-all solution for Camaro production.

Todd in Vancouver 12-26-2013 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 (Post 7287413)
Honestly I don't believe it has anything to do with demographics or wage costs. Traditionally GM has always tried to build vehicles on the same platform in the same assembly plant. It just makes sense. For the longest time Oshawa has been an odd assortment of completely random cars, Zeta Camaros, EpII SWB Regals, Premium Epsilon Impala/XTS, Theta-II Equinox final assembly, hell there's still W-body Impala Limited production.

And again, LGR is the same plant that churns out ATS and CTS. Arguably two of the best-executed GM vehicles in decades (and yes, much better than Camaro). The level of quality there isn't an issue.

Canada isn't the end-all solution for Camaro production.

FH65, I certainly hope you are right because it would be good for all of us. But, I never said that Canada was an end-all solution and great cars are produced all over the world so location has little to do with it other than production and supply synergies.

After a quick Google it appears that what I was asking is already being discussed and as I thought it does not make for happy people.

Quote from GM, as discussed on pg7;
"Second-tier workers hired in Lansing, Mich., to build the next generation of the Cama-ro will start at US$15.78 per hour and top out at US$19.28 in four years, compared to the $34.33 autoworkers on the line make in Oshawa, Faria noted. The situation is the same in Spring Hill, Tenn., where overflow of the Chevrolet Equinox is being built compared to the Oshawa and CAMI plants in Canada."

As discussed by the UAW;

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/201...t/#more-682730

This was the most recent I could find but IF this article is true than the wage discrepancy is already an issue with the workers. We all know what happens next if GM and the UAW can't come to an agreement.

Obnoxious Orange 11-09-2014 10:41 AM

I like my Canadian built Camaro.

ZMEnow 03-13-2015 08:54 PM

1st runs completed this week at Lansing...

RJZJR 03-15-2015 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZMEnow (Post 8293364)
1st runs completed this week at Lansing...

:drool:
Awesome...how do they look...sharp I hope