CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=155)
-   -   Future 5th gen or 6th gen Camaro to get 440hp 5.5L V8 (from C7 Corvette)? (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=92463)

76z28 06-29-2010 08:47 PM

Future 5th gen or 6th gen Camaro to get 440hp 5.5L V8 (from C7 Corvette)?

As reported on CAMARO5 HOMEPAGE.

i wonder if the camaro will get it
makes 440 horse
be cool to see a 5.7 also come out making like 500
and a 5 liter with like 400 horse

Quote:

According to Motor Trend, which is citing unnamed sources within General Motors, the next-generation Corvette will come with a brand-new engine. Despite rumors to the contrary, it seems that Chevrolet's halo vehicle will continue using its trademark V8 engine and not a V6. Still, the C7's powerplant will be downsized from its current 6.2 or 7.0 liters.

It's likely that this new engine will be the first application of GM's next-gen small block family, and we'd expect it to sport direct injection, E85 capability and a new combustion system design. One thing not to expect, though: overhead cams. You can bank on the fact that The General will stick to its tried-and-true overhead valve design, which serves to lower manufacturing costs and allows for comparatively small overall engine dimensions.

All of these technologies should make the venerable V8 more fuel efficient and cleaner, but also sufficiently powerful to uphold its sportscar heritage. In fact, Motor Trend reports that the C7's V8 will displace 5.5 liters while hammering out 440 horsepower. Though that significantly smaller in displacement, the power figure would actually be up from the current 430 ponies. We can hardly wait... but we'll have to anyway. We don't expect the next Corvette to bow before 2012 at the earliest.

SSinatra Andretti 06-29-2010 08:51 PM

sounds nice

v6sonoma 06-29-2010 09:06 PM

Just read that on autoblog. I would say it will end up in the camaro at some point. I wonder what it gets for MPG's?

Huck1974 06-29-2010 09:19 PM

That will suck. Why tune up a smaller motor. Are we trying to be Ford. Possibly limiting HP increases? Forced by government regulations?

khabboub 06-29-2010 09:30 PM

dang that would be exciting, my dad is waiting on the C7 to come out.

iPODFAN11 06-29-2010 10:24 PM

Hmm...first in the C7 vette? Last I recall the trucks were to debut the Gen V small block...I believe that word might have come from GM too...

...goes back to searching...

Tonawanda Engine did say that the Gen V production at their plant will start 2012, so Gen V isnt too far off...year and a half or so...

LS3SSRS 06-29-2010 11:44 PM

still would prefer a DI 6.2L... keep the displacement, and add more power/efficiency.

LimaCharlie 06-30-2010 12:47 AM

First of all, the Camaro power rating will always be lower than the Corvette, even if the engine is the same. I actually like the fact that the engine will be smaller in displacement. More hp per litre = better, more efficient design and engineering. Ford is essentially making the same power with its 5.0 engine compared to the 6.2 LS3. To me, that is impressive. With a 440 hp 5.5 litre engine, GM will be giving the 5.0 a run for its money in efficiency and design (especially with a single cam, pushrod engine ;)).

wylde1 06-30-2010 10:16 AM

I wonder what that will do for the TQ numbers. I'm a fan of smaller displacement higher revving engines, but they're usually a different purpose. A muscle car should be built for TQ, a race car should be build for HP. Makes sense to put it in the vette, I'd like to see it in the camaro if it makes gobs of TQ too.

vm1971 06-30-2010 10:20 AM

for SS?
only cause thats a while away... (next gen camaro)
and already... the refreshed Chally SRT-8 is gonna be packin' 480HP...very soon.

the camaro (in the HP wars) needs to top 'em all! (SS-wise, not counting Z28)
we shall see....

a_Username 06-30-2010 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LimaCharlie (Post 2043189)
First of all, the Camaro power rating will always be lower than the Corvette, even if the engine is the same. I actually like the fact that the engine will be smaller in displacement. More hp per litre = better, more efficient design and engineering. Ford is essentially making the same power with its 5.0 engine compared to the 6.2 LS3. To me, that is impressive. With a 440 hp 5.5 litre engine, GM will be giving the 5.0 a run for its money in efficiency and design (especially with a single cam, pushrod engine ;)).

It's all about cost efficiency, and whatever is done on the 5.0L to make it a more efficient design can be done to the 6.2L later.

76z28 06-30-2010 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vm1971 (Post 2044137)
for SS?
and already... the refreshed Chally SRT-8 is gonna be packin' 480HP...very soon.

we shall see....

i saw that...and an 8speed auto...

Blade 06-30-2010 11:44 AM

Here's the reason why I am glad I am still waiting to buy a SS. If they put that engine on the 6th gen platform, I can't even start to imagine how fast that V8 will be.

KarFan 06-30-2010 12:05 PM

First of all this is Motor Trend so not the best source for details. The Gen V V8 isn't much of a rumor and it's launch in the C7 is fairly common knowledge. It's the details on the direct injection and cam in block that are the real important stuff.

I wouldn't take the 5.5L part to be very accurate for the production engine. 5.5L is what the C6R races right now in the ALMS per regulations. The actual debut of the Gen V V8 will likely be in the C6R's in ALMS as a racing engine. Production based engines are going to be required in that sport. And thats a good thing for us. But it doesn't mean that a production Gen V will have to be 5.5L and I don't think it will.

Lastly if there is a performance V8 and a Camaro in GM's lineup at the same time you can bet there will be a variant of the Camaro that carrys the mil.

FenwickHockey65 06-30-2010 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huck1974 (Post 2042528)
That will suck. Why tune up a smaller motor. Are we trying to be Ford. Possibly limiting HP increases? Forced by government regulations?

Gen V V8s will have Variable Valve Timing and Direct Injection. There's no reason to keep using high displacement engines when we have new technology that can get lower displacement engines to the same or better power outputs with better fuel economy.

bobby35ny 06-30-2010 12:14 PM

5.5 pushing 440 really doesn't sound to impressive to me.
-Bobby

wylde1 06-30-2010 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 (Post 2044534)
Gen V V8s will have Variable Valve Timing and Direct Injection. There's no reason to keep using high displacement engines when we have new technology that can get lower displacement engines to the same or better power outputs with better fuel economy.

But you tend to give up TQ and they are a bit heavier/bulkier. They tend to be a little more high strung, making power up higher and revving higher. It's harder to get the low end grunt. It's a trade off situation. I would not be surprised if they went this route to come up with better fuel economy numbers because that's the direction they're being pushed in. I'd like to see the 5.5L screamer in the Z28 because it's supposed to be a race car. Give the big displacement big torque motor to the SS.

There's no replacement for displacement

jpgoins 06-30-2010 12:45 PM

Well, color me excited! Finally, DI in a V8. And, to all the naysayers, let's think about the birth of the LS block. First, 5.7 (LS1, LS6). Then 4.8, 5.3 (LM7, LZ9, LS4), 6.0 (LQ4, LQ9, L76), 6.2, 7.0, 6.2SC. This is the first of many. GM has many tricks up their sleeve. We just don't hear about it because the government owns too much of our "stock". Please be patient, naysayers. Let GM go IPO, where the American people can own the company again, and the lips will loose!

2010 SSRS 06-30-2010 01:10 PM

more horsepower, yessss, GM is listening to us.

98_Camaro 06-30-2010 01:17 PM

It's definitely good news. At least there's a possibility we'll keep the V8 in Gen 6, and one that's packing 440hp nonetheless. While the loss of TQ will probably sting, it's still a V8, and that's all I'm happy about.

Dan@showstopper 06-30-2010 01:25 PM

440 horse, 3600 lbs., 30 mpg's?!?!?! If the rumors are true about the 6th gen, I'm going to want one of those too!!!

stratman2SSRS 06-30-2010 01:52 PM

Oh does that engine compartment look nice and clean!!:drool:
It looks like you just opened up a jewelery box, and the engine is the diamond.

SWAT 79 06-30-2010 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobby35ny (Post 2044560)
5.5 pushing 440 really doesn't sound to impressive to me.
-Bobby

Same here, significantly smaller and insignificant power increase? Cool, i guess...

MG 06-30-2010 02:14 PM

440 HP? Im hoping it will be well north of that, at least above the output of the new 6.4L HEMI.

I dont think it would be much of a problem, even with the smaller displacement.

se7en 06-30-2010 02:15 PM

we'll see.... things will change before then i guarantee!

SonnyakaPig 06-30-2010 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stratman2SSRS (Post 2045067)
Oh does that engine compartment look nice and clean!!:drool:
It looks like you just opened up a jewelery box, and the engine is the diamond.

LOL! nice.

SonnyakaPig 06-30-2010 02:48 PM

I think this is exciting. When I imagine a smaller, lighter Camaro paired with this really advanced proposed new engine, I'm thinking the 6th gen Camaro will be a solid mid 12 second car. And once you add forced induction to the mix, the car will be scary fast.

I'm just wondering if the new engine will have higher compression than the LS3's? Most likely.

ayceman 06-30-2010 02:50 PM

While the next hemi willl be nice it's still too heavy of a car especially if they keep the iron block a few mods and the whatever little advantage it has will be negated.Plus price wise SRT will compete more with the Z28 which will spank the SRT if it goes into production plus the aftermarket for dodge sucks compared to Chevy. :thumbsup:

Quote:

Originally Posted by vm1971 (Post 2044137)
for SS?

we shall see....

ViperTomcat 06-30-2010 03:11 PM

A few notes:

Yes, it could get the new engine. Yes it could be faster, yes it could also kill the new SRT8 Challenger. Yes it could have 440 HP but less torque than the current LS3. Yes it could be awesome.

Yes a Z28, LSA powered Camaro could beat the new 6.4L Hemi Challenger. Yes it could kill it.

But it isnt, its speculation. The 6.4L IS going into the Challenger SRT8 with 480 HP. Basic bolt on mods (such as a catback, tune, longtubes and CAI) will put it over 500 crank HP, if not closer to 525. If it does get a new automatic dont expect the overall weight to raise more than 20 pounds, and it will already be lighter due to the fact it is based on the 5.7L Hemi, and not the 6.1L.

The simple fact is Dodge and Ford have put new engines in their vehicles and have listened to complaints and suggestions. The 2011 Mustang in every trim has either recieved new engines or raises in power. The 2011 Challenger SRT8 has a new engine and is getting a better interior and other changes.

What has the Camaro recieved? a HUD and a new color of paint for the SS. Now GM couldnt do anything really, but they MUST *MUST* do something other than throw a convertible onto the market for next year. The Z28 isnt confirmed, so it doesnt count, I'm sorry.

GM is now compeletly behind in the 2011 HP/Pony/Muscle car wars and has lost the 2011 model year features/numbers war in bragging rights except for 2010 sales. The 2011 GT500 with 550 HP and the 480 HP SRT8 Challenger both overpower and can outrun a LS3 SS. Of course drivers will make the difference.

Do something GM, 2010 was so awesome for you, and I want 2012 to be again awesome. Take 2011 to understand that you cant sit back and gloat, or you WILL lose the war, no matter what battles you won.

fielderLS3 06-30-2010 03:52 PM

Why are so many assuming that a 5.5L DI engine will lose a lot of torque? I can't imagine the torque curves on the the new engine and LS3 would be that different. It is going to maintain the same basic cam in block, OHV architecture. And besides, the LS3s current 6700 redline, and peak power/torque coming at 5900/4600 isn't what I would call a low-RPM biased motor to begin with. I don't see the new engine's power and torque curves moving up the RPM band a whole lot from that.

Even if it does, there is always an easy solution to a 10% (hypothetical) torque loss: 10% shorter gearing (or in the case of the 6th gen Camaro, 10% less weight). I am confident that in the new, lighter 6th gen platform, this engine will accelerate the car better at all RPMs, so we'll be able to look at the fuel economy increase as a bonus, not a trade off.

1SSRS6S 06-30-2010 04:01 PM

That is why I wanted the first run of camaros when i heard about the cafe standards a while back, I had a feeling the Government would restrict the HP we could have from the factory, I would not take anything for my LS3 6 speed manual I Love this Car. Got 21,000 mikes on her and plan to drive forever.

MTMTE 06-30-2010 04:07 PM

Ford did add the 5.slow, but modified it in every way possible to give it the horsepower it needed, you really cant do much to make it faster. This is a huge step backwards and the sales will show, Thank God I got mine when I did, I will never put a lower displacement engine in it when this one is finally done.

I actually feel sorry for the new corvette, the European market is going to slaughter it!!!!

fielderLS3 06-30-2010 04:14 PM

The new engine will have MORE power in a LIGHTER car. What's the problem? What is wrong with modern technology?

mikeSS 06-30-2010 04:18 PM

i am happy... now my 6.2L will be even more rare in the future

ViperTomcat 06-30-2010 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTMTE (Post 2045590)
Ford did add the 5.slow, but modified it in every way possible to give it the horsepower it needed, you really cant do much to make it faster. This is a huge step backwards and the sales will show,

Except for the exhaust, longtubes, tune and drag radials than caused the 2011 5.0 to run high 11's. The old argument "there isnt much left to do" was killed weeks ago. The 5.0 has turned out to be an incredible engine.

Less displacement=less torque. I severely doubt the new 5.5L will produce as much torque as the outgoing 6.2L. Torque is what throws you around in the seat, makes the car accelerate hard and gets you to speed, HP keeps you there. Mind you both are units of measures of the same force, and you CAN make up for a lack of torque by adding ALOT of HP.

A modern 7.0L will not crank out near as much torque as an old 7.0L big block. As they say..there is not replacement for displacement.

ViperTomcat 06-30-2010 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeSS (Post 2045625)
i am happy... now my 6.2L will be even more rare in the future

Not quite.

What it means is that future production vehicles will be using the new engine. They'll still be producing replacement LS3/L99's, they have to.

Nothing about the Camaro is going to be rare this year, the uniqueness is past. Same with the Challenger and Mustang.

ViperTomcat 06-30-2010 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fielderLS3 (Post 2045614)
The new engine will have MORE power in a LIGHTER car. What's the problem? What is wrong with modern technology?

Kind of like the 5.0 with its high redline and technologically advanced engine in the lighter Mustang?

Right?

Vega 06-30-2010 04:32 PM

Im cool with it haha
Hell just look at older motors vs. the LS line, most of them are smaller than most of the big bruisers of the 60s and 70s yet spark up the same power and way better fuel efficiency so who's to say this wont do the same? Any extra power technology can squeeze out of every little drop of gas is cool by me haha, i just dont want torque numbers to fall (which they wont, look at Ford's new 5.0) but really my main concern (and also with LS engines) is i dont want them sounding all wrong, the LS engines sound decent but its no substitute for even my 90's 305 haha, i like power and i like all the senses that come with it xD

fielderLS3 06-30-2010 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ViperTomcat (Post 2045654)
Kind of like the 5.0 with its high redline and technologically advanced engine in the lighter Mustang?

Right?

Yes. Mosts tests/reviews show the new Mustang is faster 0-60, and either even or marginally faster in the 1/4.

If the 5.0 is a high-winding engine, so is the LS3. The 5.0's redline just 150 RPM higher than the LS3, and it makes its peak torque at a LOWER RPM than the LS3.

Vega 06-30-2010 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTMTE (Post 2045590)
Ford did add the 5.slow, but modified it in every way possible to give it the horsepower it needed, you really cant do much to make it faster. This is a huge step backwards and the sales will show, Thank God I got mine when I did, I will never put a lower displacement engine in it when this one is finally done.

I actually feel sorry for the new corvette, the European market is going to slaughter it!!!!

I hate to stick up for Ford on a GM forum since im partial to GM, but to Ford's credit they made an incredible engine in the 5.0 and the market for that engine will cause GM to create a better, lighter, more powerful, more fuel efficient motor for us, and then Ford will do it again, then GM, and so on and so on...
But also dont forget that the new 5.0 is not a 5.0 at all, the only thing this 5.0 has in common with the classic one is the liter displacement but thats the only thing, not even the cubic inches match up. Ford is taking a page out of Mopar's book when Mopar started producing the Hemi, which by all means is NOT a Hemi its just a trademark name, but its the same idea.

And wait, didnt everyone say that about the Corvette, then the Camaro, then the Cobalt in the Japanese market? And they had to keep going further and further down the list cause every GM car kept knocking out its foreign competition? haha, be it Asia or Europe i have confidence that GM can and most definatly will compete, especially in the new generation Corvette which looks like a killer already and we dont even have many specs on it yet haha