CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=155)
-   -   GM CEO orders 15% diet for new models by 2016 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=282474)

FenwickHockey65 03-18-2013 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The 2010 Sin (Post 6300362)
600lbs? so we're getting a 4cyl and a turbo v6? wont happen unless its short and skinny.

It's probably going to be a smaller car than the 5th gen.

FINALLYSATISFIED 03-18-2013 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Black N' Yellow (Post 6300090)
I think a lot of that stuff is going to be required by law in the few years.

I'm fine with that. I'm honestly excited for future models, as alot of the current models at out there have options I'd never think of a car doing. Wifi in GM vehicles is one of those things. Just hoping it stretches to all of Chevrolets line up.

ThaCamaroKid 03-18-2013 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain Awesome (Post 6279961)
I bet you a week's pay it is something more akin to this:

"Say, that's a nice lookin' corporation ya gots there.... it would be a shame if sumptin' waz ta happen to it!"

Magnesium costs about 50% more than Aluminum. I just don't want to have to hear a lot of complaints when people get sticker shock. It also kinda can catch fire and burn up an entire car. They make fireworks out of that nifty metal.

I don't think you need to worry about Magnesium catching fire... the lowest temperature it will ignite/spark is 880F+ and that is pure magnesium. If you get your car up to that temperature you are doing something wrong :biggrin:

ThaCamaroKid 03-18-2013 11:44 AM

I am not sure if it has been confirmed, but I feel this '15%' is probably a fleet number... I don't see the 6th gen Camaro's coming out weighing 3250 lbs. I hope they do... But I fear that is not likely :pout:

Also that would mean vette's around 2800 lbs..... So I am fairly confident they are talking fleet

*007 03-18-2013 01:09 PM

History repeats itself.... No Need to Buckle Up.

This is just a rehash for some of us. No need to get your panties in a wad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfzgNdkdbYs

franknbeans 03-18-2013 01:40 PM

future motor?

http://blog.caranddriver.com/cadilla...d=1458_7340041

IMJ 03-18-2013 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by motorhead (Post 6286043)
I'm not most people. So what you're saying is that no one that currently owns a 5th gen should complain about the weight because they can't do anything about it anyhow that wouldn't otherwise turn it into a full blown race car?

No. That's not what I'm saying. Actually, you went from A-Z right there all on your own.

Quote:

Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 (Post 6286037)
It'll benefit the nameplate, the brand, and the company.

This is true....

knitetrain05 03-18-2013 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 90503 (Post 6277756)
Maybe we can get an affordable stripped down/light-weight drag-car from the factory now, after all...lol

Yeah, and I bet it will take a turn for the worst. It will look like crap. It will most likely be as good looking as a chevy "SS" they just came out with (NOTHING SPECIAL THERE) The past repeats its self, 67 to 69 Camaros COOL, from there on down hill in the looks dept. Camaros from 10 to what? 14? COOL then from there down hill. Just Watch.................

Michael2000 03-18-2013 09:31 PM

Buy your cars now! Stock up.

This is the beginning of the end. Remember what happened to GM cars during the '70's and '80's after dumb GM edicts like this one? The cars were flimsy, slow junk. It takes time to properly design and engineer a car.

Michael

Angrybird 12 03-18-2013 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael2000 (Post 6303209)
Buy your cars now! Stock up.

This is the beginning of the end. Remember what happened to GM cars during the '70's and '80's after dumb GM edicts like this one? The cars were flimsy, slow junk. It takes time to properly design and engineer a car.

Michael

Different times now, it's the 21st century, time to quit living in the past....

hairtrigger 03-19-2013 12:32 AM

It's all been done before, light cars. Car engineering is nothing new at all and everything has been tried. How about 50-60's European sports cars. Very light with the safety of a moped.
What will change the world of modern cars is composite materials and the way they are manufactured to reduce costs.
Composites will reduce the weight that is needed to get great mileage and performance while retaining the strength for safety that is so important these days.
Until the day that cars are affordable with what we think today, are exotic materials, we are destined to have Sonic sized cars made of steel and iron and aluminum that are light and safe.
The point is that with metals, a CAT front end loader has to weigh what it does to lift a load of logs for physics and engineering strength.
A car has to weigh what it does at a certain size for the same reason with safety in mind.
I personally think we are a few years off yet from composite cars being affordable.
So a light cheap steel/iron/aluminum affordable car will have to be smaller than we might like for the next decade or so until advancements are made, which will happen I'm sure..

*007 03-19-2013 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 (Post 6303254)
Different times now, it's the 21st century, time to quit living in the past....

Oh... I feel you are saying "Shut up and eat your broccoli".... LOL OK we all need to shut our pie holes and "go with the flow"...

"Only dead fish go with the flow"....

Angrybird 12 03-19-2013 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by *007 (Post 6305389)
Oh... I feel you are saying "Shut up and eat your broccoli".... LOL OK we all need to shut our pie holes and "go with the flow"...

Wow, it means times have changed and technology has changed we have moved forward, it does not mean it has to go backwards.... As living in the past means.

Mr. Wyndham 03-19-2013 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by *007 (Post 6305389)

Broccoli is good. Especially with american cheese.