Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Generation Yuck (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=479586)

witenite 01-06-2017 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GossipSquirrelJelena (Post 9491350)
Anyone remember the Geo Storm? 4th gen kinda looked like a Storm on steroids.

Haha. I have to agree with you on that.

Cyber10 01-06-2017 06:17 PM

Not a fan of the 3rd gens or 6th gens. I'm not the biggest fan of the 4th gen Camaros either(especially early gen 4) even though I owned a 2002, but I think the T/As make up for it.

justjoshin 01-06-2017 06:24 PM

:barf: 3rd gen

Norm Peterson 01-06-2017 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deweyg63 (Post 9490508)
Which generation Camaro do you like the least? I have never liked the 4th gens at all. They are the reason the Camaro disappeared for awhile in my opinion. What were the people that designed that nag thinking?

Of making evolutionary improvements on the 3rd gen.

I always liked the 3rd gen - it was head and shoulders above the Mustangs of the same years as far as cornering performance and handling were concerned. Probably the only reason I never had one was because I couldn't make it fit family needs as an 'only' car and we weren't well off enough to add it as a 'me' car.

I actually got to drive a 4th gen Firebird at autocross for a few runs. A really easy car to drive quickly, with no surprises. But I'd hate to have to do a plug change on it, or deal with the Opti-Spark.

I don't really have an "unliked" generation, though as a corner-carver I really don't care for the leaf-spring suspensions under the 1st gen. The 2nd gen being heavier seemed to cope better and a suspension parts aftermarket was starting to develop.

Norm

18LTLoveIt 01-06-2017 07:59 PM

1st half of 4th Gen is the weakest design. I hate the plastic fenders!! Even know that the refresh in late 90s seams better, the fenders were still plastic. My all time fave classic is the 2nd Gen with chrome front "bumperettes". That's what they were referred to back in the day. But best design ever is 5th Gen, especially the 10-13s. The 14 & 15s with the pinched grille loose something for me and the 16s with further pinched grille is ugly. How lucky are we to have the best looking body style Camaros?

Gunmetal Speedster 01-06-2017 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deweyg63 (Post 9490508)
Which generation Camaro do you like the least? I have never liked the 4th gens at all. They are the reason the Camaro disappeared for awhile in my opinion. What were the people that designed that nag thinking? Thoughts? Comments?

Same. The 4th gen is the only gen I don't like the look of.

Spec 01-06-2017 08:37 PM

This! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Quote:

Originally Posted by 13LTLoveIt (Post 9491742)
1st half of 4th Gen is the weakest design. I hate the plastic fenders!! Even know that the refresh in late 90s seams better, the fenders were still plastic. My all time fave classic is the 2nd Gen with chrome front "bumperettes". That's what they were referred to back in the day. But best design ever is 5th Gen, especially the 10-13s. The 14 & 15s with the pinched grille loose something for me and the 16s with further pinched grille is ugly. How lucky are we to have the best looking body style Camaros?

Its like this for me, really...

5th Gen - 10, just the creme of the freakin crop! My favorite, of course!

4th Gen - a very biased 9 for me because I had a freakin blast with both the original LT1 and the newest breakthrough, the LS1! It was the 'futuristic', 'aerodynamic' american car of its time, next to the Corvette of course. From my experience, people would either really love it, or really hate it at the time. And everyone wanted to drag race lol

3rd Gen - 7... The Transam I think took the win here.

2nd Gen - the original look? a 6... taken care of and modded with some thick ass tires - 9! Cherry red or murdered out? Fkn 10!

1st Gen - 10.... but these things are just, no words... modded or un-modded. Just the inspiration for it all. That goes beyond any rating system really... the 1st gen started it and the 5th gen continued it...

Hopefully the 7th gen can carry the torch from where the 5th gen took it... because the 6 gen takes a back seat with a 5. It really doesn't do anything for me. Trying... I'm trying to see something that grabs me like the 5th gen did. But really haven't seen it yet except for maybe the new LT1 engine on the SS, or what the AWESOME ZL1 can do (Zl1 takes the 6th gen up to an 8 in my book), holly crap that's a beast!

That is how I really feel. :D

Talladega 01-06-2017 08:47 PM

Hands down in my opinion the worst is the 3rd generation. Not a huge fan of the early 4th gen but by then end of the 4th gen I liked them.

witenite 01-06-2017 09:23 PM

I still like the 4 gen SS's. They always look badass. Saw one today.

nosmr2 01-06-2017 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drew peacock (Post 9490895)
4th
designed by stevie-wonder that car

He's not blind. Google it for the video of him catching the microphone stand.

OrangeVert 01-06-2017 11:07 PM

Styling of almost every car out there in the 90's: rounded corners, many were bubble cars. Chevy Caprice aka clamshell. Some mfrs took this to extremes, i.e., the Ford Taurus. In sharp contrast to the edge lines of the 80's, have to have some thing that looks different for people to buy - planned obsolescence, imho. So I don't think it was just a Camaro thing - though Mustang suffered less from rounded corner syndrome (RCS).

Imho the 5th Gen blew that all away and started fresh. Solved the problem again of have to have some thing that looks different for people to buy. But all for the better.

frenchsquared 01-07-2017 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OrangeVert (Post 9491996)
though Mustang suffered less from rounded corner syndrome (RCS).

Have you seen a 1996 Mustang. OMG that is one of the ugliest cars ever made and a 4.8 instead of a 5.0.... I hope the entire department was fired for that stupid decision.

Welker2 01-07-2017 08:28 AM

4th is my least favorite; owned at least one of all generations except 4th (and now the 6th).

Norm Peterson 01-07-2017 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frenchsquared (Post 9492220)
Have you seen a 1996 Mustang. OMG that is one of the ugliest cars ever made and a 4.8 instead of a 5.0.... I hope the entire department was fired for that stupid decision.

I didn't care for that one either . . . people who bought them might have wished it had a 4.8, the two-valve iron 4.6L it did come with was an embarassment.

Norm