CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=155)
-   -   Center console removal...?? (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=462800)

f0x 08-09-2016 05:10 PM

Center console removal...??

1 Attachment(s)
I need help on how to remove the center console out of my 6 gen... Is there anyone out there that can help..? OH and how to remove the 7" Mylink...? The 7" dont have the little pop off panel on the front to reveal the screws... PLEASE HELP.. :)

KoolHyperBlue 08-09-2016 07:10 PM

Why do you want to remove both of those ?

fastball 08-09-2016 07:46 PM

Please explain why you want to do this. Most cars built today come apart in sub assemblies layered on top of each other to hide joints, make cohesive appearance, and for assembly line procedures.

Removing the center console might not be very complex but you might have to tear apart most of the dash to remove the display.

grnflash 08-09-2016 08:10 PM

I didn't see whether you were talking about manual or auto. The following is for the 6 speed manual SS cars. The console is very easy. I did it the hard way one afternoon, taking literally every small piece apart one by one, but afterward figured out that there's a much easier way:

1) There are two screws at the lower back sides (1 ea. side) of the console near the seatbelt buckles. You will see a small round cover about the size of a quarter. Gently pop the cover off (it has a retainer), and unscrew the bolt underneath.
2) Remove the knee pads near the front sides of the console by gripping firmly and sliding the leather(-ish) portion up. It pops off without tools.
3) There are four bolts underneath the knee guards. two screw-in from the side (1 ea. side), like the ones in the back, and two are pointed forward (1 ea. side), toward either foot-well.

Six screws total, should have been removed. This will free the console.

4) Lift upward from the back. There is a small "lip" at the back that tucks under the middle of the rear seat, but if you compress the seat cushion toward the back enough, it will scoot on by.
5) When you get the rear of the console lifted high enough (about as high as the shoulder of the seat backs), you should be able to look under the shift boot, and see the underside of the shift knob (if 6MT), use a torx bit to remove the bolt on the driver's side the side of the knob. You can then slide the knob off the shaft.
6) Unclip 3 (maybe 4... I forget) quick-connect plugs for the various electronics on the console.
7) lift rear of the console up higher, and pull the entire console the rear, sliding it out and under the dash.

Reverse to re-install. Don't forget to reconnect the electronics (all of the plugs are unique, so you don't need to label them). Nice upside if you do it this way from the start (unlike myself), is that you don't loosen any of the nice tight joints where the individual dash components come together.

Don't know about differences on the auto-trans cars, but I would imagine that the shift knob would be the only difference.

Hope that helps.

f0x 08-09-2016 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KoolHyperBlue (Post 9250441)
Why do you want to remove both of those ?

I want to take out the center console so I can run my Iphone cable under it to my mount (I HATE seeing wires)..

As for my Mylink, I will eventually be upgrading to a 8" display (Just waiting for the website I use to come out with the stuff needed) Right now they have the one for upgrading the NON Nav to Nav, But there still working on the 7" to 8" kit...

f0x 08-09-2016 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grnflash (Post 9250560)
I didn't see whether you were talking about manual or auto. The following is for the 6 speed manual SS cars. The console is very easy. I did it the hard way one afternoon, taking literally every small piece apart one by one, but afterward figured out that there's a much easier way:

1) There are two screws at the lower back sides (1 ea. side) of the console near the seatbelt buckles. You will see a small round cover about the size of a quarter. Gently pop the cover off (it has a retainer), and unscrew the bolt underneath.
2) Remove the knee pads near the front sides of the console by gripping firmly and sliding the leather(-ish) portion up. It pops off without tools.
3) There are four bolts underneath the knee guards. two screw-in from the side (1 ea. side), like the ones in the back, and two are pointed forward (1 ea. side), toward either foot-well.

Six screws total, should have been removed. This will free the console.

4) Lift upward from the back. There is a small "lip" at the back that tucks under the middle of the rear seat, but if you compress the seat cushion toward the back enough, it will scoot on by.
5) When you get the rear of the console lifted high enough (about as high as the shoulder of the seat backs), you should be able to look under the shift boot, and see the underside of the shift knob (if 6MT), use a torx bit to remove the bolt on the driver's side the side of the knob. You can then slide the knob off the shaft.
6) Unclip 3 (maybe 4... I forget) quick-connect plugs for the various electronics on the console.
7) lift rear of the console up higher, and pull the entire console the rear, sliding it out and under the dash.

Reverse to re-install. Don't forget to reconnect the electronics (all of the plugs are unique, so you don't need to label them). Nice upside if you do it this way from the start (unlike myself), is that you don't loosen any of the nice tight joints where the individual dash components come together.

Don't know about differences on the auto-trans cars, but I would imagine that the shift knob would be the only difference.

Hope that helps.

NICE!!! Thank you VERY MUCH!!!! That really helps...

Rsblueblood 08-09-2016 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by f0x (Post 9250654)
I want to take out the center console so I can run my Iphone cable under it to my mount (I HATE seeing wires)..

As for my Mylink, I will eventually be upgrading to a 8" display (Just waiting for the website I use to come out with the stuff needed) Right now they have the one for upgrading the NON Nav to Nav, But there still working on the 7" to 8" kit...

Please let me know what Web site this is to upgrade to the 8" screen because I have looked into this and GM uses different wiring harness and the one in the 1lts don't allow you to upgrade anything.

ny tdi 10-25-2016 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rsblueblood (Post 9250695)
Please let me know what Web site this is to upgrade to the 8" screen because I have looked into this and GM uses different wiring harness and the one in the 1lts don't allow you to upgrade anything.

Hopefully, those of us who got 1LT w/ Tech Package can upgrade from standard 8" MyLink to Navigation 8" MyLink.

cellsafemode 10-25-2016 09:59 AM

why would you want to upgrade to the navigation mylink? android auto ....even silly apple maps via carplay is superior. and free.

SPARTAN sui 10-25-2016 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cellsafemode (Post 9374962)
why would you want to upgrade to the navigation mylink? android auto ....even silly apple maps via carplay is superior. and free.

I would disagree with that statement. I would rather have GPS integrated with my car than have to connect my phone via USB any time I wanted to use navigation. Plus the built in nav integrates with the HUD when I need to turn and it's true GPS that doesn't rely on cellular reception.

GPS > A-GPS

The nav option is comparable to Garmin IMO.

Sorry for going off topic :bonk:

f0x 10-27-2016 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ny tdi (Post 9374924)
Hopefully, those of us who got 1LT w/ Tech Package can upgrade from standard 8" MyLink to Navigation 8" MyLink.

Here is a website for upgrading the standard 8" to NAV 8"... Im still waiting for them to come out with the 7" to 8"... But hope this ones helps you out...

http://www.gen5diy.com/Chevrolet/Cam...tion-Upgrade5/

f0x 10-27-2016 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rsblueblood (Post 9250695)

Im still waiting for these guys to come out with the 7" to 8" upgrade.. These guys come out with everything eventually..

http://www.gen5diy.com/Chevrolet/Camaro-Gen6/

avalonandl 03-07-2017 03:21 PM

Thank YOU- I want to look at Wrapping my console in CF DINOC 3M.

RobertSmith 03-07-2017 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPARTAN sui (Post 9375171)
I would disagree with that statement. I would rather have GPS integrated with my car than have to connect my phone via USB any time I wanted to use navigation. Plus the built in nav integrates with the HUD when I need to turn and it's true GPS that doesn't rely on cellular reception.

GPS > A-GPS

The nav option is comparable to Garmin IMO.

Sorry for going off topic :bonk:

So, use an offline GPS program on your cell. Either way, phone GPS is superior for me.