CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   Cosmetic modifications (exterior and interior) (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=229)
-   -   Modified 6LE Blade Spoiler (Part 1 of 2) (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=492464)

jp9109 04-23-2017 12:32 PM

Modified 6LE Blade Spoiler (Part 1 of 2)

10 Attachment(s)
As many have said here, the 6LE blade spoiler is very tall. I chose to go with it rather than the GM blade spoiler for two reasons, the deck lid hole issue for the SS and it isn't tall enough for me and decided it would be easier to take material away from the 6LE one rather than add material to the GM one. So I finally got around to doing part 1 which was removing material and creating a reverse mohawk look to reduce the height and give a more aggressive look. I didn't go with the RPI one because their senter "cutout" is very minimal, too narrow and lacks any sort of personality. Don't even get me started on their wicker bill... which will be part 2 of my spoiler modification.

Enough explanation, here are some progress photos and the completed part 1 of 2. Just basic fiberglass work nothing fancy. This was also my first time working with fiberglass. I do have a lot of experience with Automotive design and clay sculpting (my professional career) so this was a blast to do.

Part 2 coming soon...

Dubchitts 04-23-2017 12:35 PM

Dang!! You should send that to them and ask for a job! Lol. Looks awesome, well done!

jp9109 04-23-2017 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dubchitts (Post 9688915)
Damn! You should send that to them and ask for a job! Lol. Looks awesome, well done!

Thank you! I am already happily employed as a clay sculptor at GM though haha:thanks:

Dubchitts 04-23-2017 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jp9109 (Post 9688920)
Thank you! I am already happily employed as a clay sculptor at GM though haha:thanks:

Oh nice! That explains it then. Lol. Looks very smooth and natural

jp9109 04-23-2017 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dubchitts (Post 9688922)
Oh nice! That explains it then. Lol. Looks very smooth and natural

Thanks! I'm designing a splitter and side skirts as well, those will be coming next.

Gilley 04-23-2017 01:52 PM

That looks fantastic.

Black_FiFTY 04-23-2017 02:34 PM

That looks incredible!

cleoent 04-23-2017 03:19 PM

So much better.

RenegadeXR 04-23-2017 03:56 PM

You should just drive your car over to the team that works on the Camaro and be like "I did your job for you." Looks amazing. I hope it gets some attention within your company.

Does this affect the actual functionality of the spoiler though at speed, or is that something you just aren't concerned about at this point?

jp9109 04-23-2017 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RenegadeXR (Post 9689107)
You should just drive your car over to the team that works on the Camaro and be like "I did your job for you." Looks amazing. I hope it gets some attention within your company.

Does this affect the actual functionality of the spoiler though at speed, or is that something you just aren't concerned about at this point?

Generally with a spoiler a majority of the down force is generated on the outboard edges. I don't want to get into aerodynamics too much mainly because I'm not an expert in the field and I don't have a wind tunnel to test in, and I'm almost certain 6LE Designs doesn't have any wind tunnel testing on their original design either. So there really isn't a baseline to compare to and I really have no way to tell other than "feel" while at the track. I can assume that it won't hurt functionality or performance much because the GM blade spoiler was developed in the wind tunnel and the modified 6LE one on my car is still taller. It most likely produces more drag compared to the GM spoiler.

So the short answer is I decided to do this based on aesthetics while keeping in mind my basic understanding of spoiler and wing functionality, especially since this only sees track time a handful of times each year.

Jdelgado92 04-23-2017 06:31 PM

That definitely looks 1000 times better than any blade spoiler I've seen for the 6th gen

Whitemaro6 04-23-2017 06:32 PM

I would buy that

BradfordCamaro 04-23-2017 08:10 PM

The dropped center section is a good look. There are others that use a similar design element.
It works really well with the 6LE spoiler as it is so flat in the back.

Great work. I love it..... I might have to steal it. HAHAHAHa

AdmAnt13 04-23-2017 08:13 PM

That's like my RPI but better in a lot of ways. I'm jealous.