Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Broken glass in rear speakers (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=384270)

Gee 11-11-2014 03:31 PM

Broken glass in rear speakers

So a few months ago(If you see my posts you'll know i have bad luck with everything that has to do with my car), my Camaro was vandalized.

http://i1094.photobucket.com/albums/...294522508.jpeg

Was luckily covered by insurance with no deductible. But still Annoying. What wasnt covered was the broken tail light and the annoying pieces of glass rattling in the rear speakers. Anyone know an easy way to get the broken glass out? Or am i going to have to disassemble the entire back of my car to get out the glass? Thanks for your help.

woodstock 11-11-2014 03:39 PM

I would think a shop vac would help.

Gee 11-11-2014 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by woodstock (Post 8058021)
I would think a shop vac would help.

Forgot to mention. I tried all the obvious stuff. Went to high powered vacs they have at the nice car washes. It got some out after a few tried, but there are some pieces still left in there :/ Any bass and it sounds like a volcano erupting from the rear speakers.

Angrybird 12 11-11-2014 03:53 PM

Don't the speakers come out through the trunk? That would be the best way to make sure to get them all out. Or you could take the car to a stereo shop and have them upgrade your speakers.

Gee 11-11-2014 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 (Post 8058052)
Don't the speakers come out through the trunk? That would be the best way to make sure to get them all out. Or you could take the car to a stereo shop and have them upgrade your speakers.

I Looked at them and also searched the web. Couldnt find a way to drop them through the trunk. I was hoping someone on here would have input.

Trob85 11-11-2014 04:15 PM

He's right drop them from the bottom should be 4 bolts on each corner. If my trunk wasn't full I would take a look.

Gee 11-11-2014 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trob85 (Post 8058097)
He's right drop them from the bottom should be 4 bolts on each corner. If my trunk wasn't full I would take a look.

Thats awesome. Ill take another look tomorrow morning when i have some light. I really hope you guys are right. Bass all the way down makes radio sound odd.

bradshaw 11-11-2014 04:18 PM

Not that easy from what I`ve read, you have to tear out the whole back area to get the speakers out I`m pretty sure.

Gee 11-11-2014 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bradshaw (Post 8058106)
Not that easy from what I`ve read, you have to tear out the whole back area to get the speakers out I`m pretty sure.

Yeah i read that DIY. Dont have time for that. Working 7 days a week 12 hour days lately. Was hoping there was an easier way :/

bradshaw 11-11-2014 04:22 PM

I would try compressed air but be careful not too much pressure or you may damage the speaker.

SnowyCamaro 11-11-2014 05:38 PM

You need to take a lot apart. To get the deck lid off you need to remove the side pillar trim in the back seat. Speakers come out the top not the bottom unfortunately. Would be much nicer for replacing the stereo I'll tell ya. You could gut the speakers and remove them from the bottom and replace them though. You would end up destroying the speakers that are there. There is only one bolt that holds them in you could punch it out from the bottom. This is a very brute way to do it and I wouldn't recommend doing it since gutting the speakers could put more things to rattle around up in there, but you would gain access to the space and theoretically get a shop vac in there.

If you want it clean in there its all gotta come apart. If you don't have time you could ask a stereo shop to clean out in there for you. They are fast at removing panels and such, and a relatively cheap shop rate. Even though they aren't installing speakers they may still do it if you are nice enough about it. I would replace the speakers and dynamat while its apart anyway.

By the way if it was covered under insurance, they should be recommending a shop to clean it out.

Gee 11-11-2014 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Comrando (Post 8058358)
Try turning up the volume while you run the vacuum. Maybe if the glass is bouncing around...

Good Idea! Worse case i wreck these speakers and have to replace them. Which I would be doing regardless if I had to go through the rear speaker removal process anyways..

daginger 11-11-2014 06:37 PM

Play some bassy music, shop vac the speakers with them playing. Eventually you should hopefully get everything.