CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=155)
-   -   The Z28 what could have been.... (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=299256)

PeeBee 06-03-2013 05:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by omgitsmikeyC (Post 6619416)
you pay more for less now with that car.

Sometimes less IS more...

And beside, you get more cubic inches :)

Aldrich Z06 06-03-2013 09:41 AM

The first Z28 I ever saw was a new 68 red with black stripes my friend bought back in 68. To me that's the real Z28.
No sunroof and targa tops for me. I've had four vettes with the targa tops and all it is for is to catch wind and make noise. But everyones different and likes differents things. On the new Camaro the sunroof takes away from the contour of the roof I think.

lbls1 06-03-2013 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FINALLYSATISFIED (Post 6617910)
Now that the lengendary Z/28 will be released, how about those whom were born in a era when they knew a Z28? A T-top 6 Gen Z28? Not I take anything away from the Z/28 or ZL1 but it could be done...I wished the Z28 returned however, but GM did a switcheroo and went back to the heritage of the Z/28.

I ended up driving in a neighborhood where my cousin lives and spotted this t-top Z28 and just made me think, damn that looks sexy.

Believe me I know them all too well!

demonspeed 06-03-2013 12:20 PM

All 3 of my 4th gens have had t-tops; I had a t-top '89 IROC and hardtop '91 Z28.

With that said, I rarely take the tops out. It is a nice novelty, but with how I use my vehicles, I prefer the hardtop. I've only purchased preowned Camaros, so I've taken what I could find; however, I will order my 6th gen as a hardtop even if one is able to choose t-tops/targa top.

I figure that if I want to open up the roof then I'd just buy a convertible.

meissen 06-03-2013 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demonspeed (Post 6622739)
All 3 of my 4th gens have had t-tops; I had a t-top '89 IROC and hardtop '91 Z28.

With that said, I rarely take the tops out. It is a nice novelty, but with how I use my vehicles, I prefer the hardtop. I've only purchased preowned Camaros, so I've taken what I could find; however, I will order my 6th gen as a hardtop even if one is able to choose t-tops/targa top.

I figure that if I want to open up the roof then I'd just buy a convertible.

To each their own. When I'm driving my FBody in the warm weather months, I want to be able to enjoy the warm weather... you simply can't do that with a 5th gen unless it's a convertible. You roll the windows down and yeah you get a little bit of wind, but nothing compares to popping the t-tops off and having that open air feeling without sacrificing having a "hard top" when the weather isn't nice out.

Bhobbs 06-03-2013 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by omgitsmikeyC (Post 6619416)
Personally I love what they have done with the Z-28, but they should have put the LT-1 in it. Coming from the factory without a radio and things like that do not appeal to people the same way as they did in the 60's because you pay more for less now with that car.

What does the LT1 offer over the LS7?

demonspeed 06-03-2013 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by meissen (Post 6622865)
To each their own. When I'm driving my FBody in the warm weather months, I want to be able to enjoy the warm weather... you simply can't do that with a 5th gen unless it's a convertible. You roll the windows down and yeah you get a little bit of wind, but nothing compares to popping the t-tops off and having that open air feeling without sacrificing having a "hard top" when the weather isn't nice out.

I hear what you're saying :cool: I used to always have mine out in my IROC and first LS1 car. As my interests have changed as to the reason I drive my Camaros (from mostly cruising to now beating the snot out of it!), I want less frills. This is why I wouldn't discourage GM from making t-tops again; however, I personally wouldn't be opting for them.

omgitsmikeyC 06-03-2013 03:40 PM

Lt1 offers direct injection which means a higher fuel pressure capable of handling turbo and supercharger upgrades better. I believe it's also a lighter motor and has Vvt. It's been a while since I read the motor specs but a no gas guzzler capable of 500hp from the factory is pretty sweet.

omgitsmikeyC 06-03-2013 03:45 PM

Here's an article on it. http://www.gmhightechperformance.com...ngine_details/

Verbolten 06-03-2013 03:55 PM

Z/28 and a Z/28R would have made Chevy a boat load of money. It's alot harder to make a car Show and GO.

FINALLYSATISFIED 06-03-2013 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lbls1 (Post 6622511)
Believe me I know them all too well!

Lol. Just pure sexiness!

Norm Peterson 06-03-2013 04:53 PM

For sure a sunroof will cost you helmet room. I imagine that a T-top would as well.

Besides, if you soften the character of this Z/28 that far, there isn't enough reason to build the rest of its hardcore track day goodness into it.

Norm

Bhobbs 06-03-2013 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by omgitsmikeyC (Post 6623502)
Lt1 offers direct injection which means a higher fuel pressure capable of handling turbo and supercharger upgrades better. I believe it's also a lighter motor and has Vvt. It's been a while since I read the motor specs but a no gas guzzler capable of 500hp from the factory is pretty sweet.

I'm talking about in stock form.

omgitsmikeyC 06-03-2013 05:44 PM

In stock better mileage, lighter weight and about 30hp and 20 tq less. No gas guzzler tax for owner.

ICTsccaCamaro 06-03-2013 06:10 PM

Main thing I love about that 4th gen is the amazing Autozone "racing" seat covers currently saving up for our set of them ourselves

FINALLYSATISFIED 06-03-2013 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Norm Peterson (Post 6623824)
For sure a sunroof will cost you helmet room. I imagine that a T-top would as well.

Besides, if you soften the character of this Z/28 that far, there isn't enough reason to build the rest of its hardcore track day goodness into it.

Norm

There is always the COPO *COUGH*

Bhobbs 06-04-2013 01:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FINALLYSATISFIED (Post 6625692)

:facepalm:

Give it up. We know you don't want the Z/28 to top your ZL1 but it's getting old. Enjoy your car. It's still an awesome machine.

Norm Peterson 06-04-2013 06:21 AM

Quote:

Not for the activities I'd be wearing a helmet for. Sorry.

Norm

motorhead 06-04-2013 07:12 AM

Quote:

The COPO isn't a track car ,but rather drag car. I love the direction that GM took with the Z/28. That is what is should be. The watered down gen 4 was a Z28 in name only.

The 60's cars made the name. The gen 4s just used the name for marketing to try and sell a mediocre car with slumping sales.

FINALLYSATISFIED 06-04-2013 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bhobbs (Post 6625972)
:facepalm:

Give it up. We know you don't want the Z/28 to top your ZL1 but it's getting old. Enjoy your car. It's still an awesome machine.

It has nothing to do with topping the ZL1, lol. I didn't buy it because it was the big in HP. I would have went with the GT500 if that was the case. Don't add assumptions to the thread, or assuming you know my motives which are wrong. And yes I will continue to drive this awesome machine. Enjoy yours as well, GM did a fantastic job on the 5th Gen.

demonspeed 06-04-2013 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by motorhead (Post 6626352)
The COPO isn't a track car ,but rather drag car. I love the direction that GM took with the Z/28. That is what is should be. The watered down gen 4 was a Z28 in name only.

The 60's cars made the name. The gen 4s just used the name for marketing to try and sell a mediocre car with slumping sales.

Except that every "performance" vehicle in the Chevrolet stable during the 80's & 90's used "Zxx" nomenclature. Considering the slash was ditched in 1982, then it's quite incorrect to state the 4th gen was a Z28 in name only. There are several people, Scott Settlemire included, who would easily be able to usurp that comment.

fbodfather 06-04-2013 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ssrs396 (Post 6618384)
Targa.....Targa.....Targa!!!

Let me ask you this: How do you propose removing the top?

Keep in mind that the Camaro is quite a bit taller and wider than a Corvette....

one would have to be well over 6 feet tall and strong to be able to lift it on or off.

My proof: Ask someone who witnessed what I did to a pre-production Corvette C6 in Atlanta at the Atlanta Gathering on a hot day as a storm approached....

:help:

...it did not end well.........

The other issue is structural rigidity - one thing that sets a 5th gen far apart from a 4th and 3rd gen is the structural rigidity.......

FINALLYSATISFIED 06-04-2013 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fbodfather (Post 6626793)
Let me ask you this: How do you propose removing the top?

Keep in mind that the Camaro is quite a bit taller and wider than a Corvette....

one would have to be well over 6 feet tall and strong to be able to lift it on or off.

My proof: Ask someone who witnessed what I did to a pre-production Corvette C6 in Atlanta at the Atlanta Gathering on a hot day as a storm approached....

:help:

...it did not end well.........

The other issue is structural rigidity - one thing that sets a 5th gen far apart from a 4th and 3rd gen is the structural rigidity.......

I'm 6'2 and 235lbs! :)

Thank you for clearing it up though, sir. Very much appreciated!

Bhobbs 06-04-2013 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FINALLYSATISFIED (Post 6626493)
It has nothing to do with topping the ZL1, lol. I didn't buy it because it was the big in HP. I would have went with the GT500 if that was the case. Don't add assumptions to the thread, or assuming you know my motives which are wrong. And yes I will continue to drive this awesome machine. Enjoy yours as well, GM did a fantastic job on the 5th Gen.

Then why so you keep saying GM should build the lesser car?

FINALLYSATISFIED 06-04-2013 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bhobbs (Post 6627150)
Then why so you keep saying GM should build the lesser car?

Is your 1998 Z28 a lesser car?