CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=231)
-   -   Kooks Headers Leaking @ Collector (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=511350)

JeromeS13 10-21-2017 07:21 PM

Kooks Headers Leaking @ Collector

I just finished installing my headers (thanks, Steve @ RDP). I got the version with the off-road connection pipes. However, I have leaks on both sides. I torqued the clamps to 25 lb/ft, and I don't really feel comfortable going past that, as the instructions specifically state not to over torque them (or they'll leak)...

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

MP3BOOSTED 10-21-2017 07:28 PM

i have full exhaust and headers and I noticed a small air leak at every clamp ��, honestly with the way we just clamp the piping together I kind of expected to have a little leak, don’t think we could get rid of that unless we welded them together?! Car is tuned and that wasn’t brought up as an issue with the tune. I’m sure you’ll get more insight from professionals on this site very shortly.

JeromeS13 10-21-2017 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MP3BOOSTED (Post 9948135)
i have full exhaust and headers and I noticed a small air leak at every clamp ��, honestly with the way we just clamp the piping together I kind of expected to have a little leak, don’t think we could get rid of that unless we welded them together?! Car is tuned and that wasn’t brought up as an issue with the tune. I’m sure you’ll get more insight from professionals on this site very shortly.

I appreciate it. I wouldn't be too concerned if it was just a little. But, I can actually hear the leaks and it's throwing codes (P0137 and P0157).

BTW, this thing is stupid loud now. Kooks 1 7/8" headers, off-road connection pipes, Borla 60606 mid-pipe, and OEM muffler.

#america

MP3BOOSTED 10-21-2017 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeromeS13 (Post 9948169)
I appreciate it. I wouldn't be too concerned if it was just a little. But, I can actually hear the leaks and it's throwing codes (P0137 and P0157).

BTW, this thing is stupid loud now. Kooks 1 7/8" headers, off-road connection pipes, Borla 60606 mid-pipe, and OEM muffler.

#america

Ahh yeah codes isn’t good, I ended up using a clamp that came with my MBRP race exhaust on the passenger side because those damn clamps that came with look headers are a pain to put on, but yeah I’m not seeing any codes, I’d definitely re torque or see the fitment on them, re adjust. And I bet it’s loud, I have the race catback and it’s insanely loud!! I love it!!! No drone what so ever but I did get rid of the NPP function with the exhaust 😢

BradfordCamaro 10-21-2017 10:15 PM

Mine leak. It sucks.
Not sure what to do.
Loosen and re torque?

Weld them. ;)

Not cool ticking at a light or hearing it from under the car when driving

ss_rob 10-22-2017 01:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BradfordCamaro (Post 9948301)
Mine leak. It sucks.
Not sure what to do.
Loosen and re torque?

Weld them. ;)

Not cool ticking at a light or hearing it from under the car when driving

Mine does this as well, makes me paranoid one of my lifters are ticking.

I plan to weld once I get a xpipe.

jaysonstuart 10-22-2017 02:18 AM

Something like this should help with that. My kooks with high-flow cats are less than a week old and nothing leaks yet. I might buy a few of these and install them just to make sure I don't get any leaks.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/v...AaAuHYEALw_wcB

MP3BOOSTED 10-22-2017 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysonstuart (Post 9948413)
Something like this should help with that. My kooks with high-flow cats are less than a week old and nothing leaks yet. I might buy a few of these and install them just to make sure I don't get any leaks.

Yeah KOOKs headers comes with those already. On my passenger side I didn’t use mine 👎, it just wouldn’t slip on from the off connection pipes and MBRP race catback. So I opened it up in hopes to just slip it over to tighten up for nope, took me over an hour to give up and just reuse a clamp from my exhaust lol. They are nice though!!

jaysonstuart 10-22-2017 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MP3BOOSTED (Post 9948477)
Yeah KOOKs headers comes with those already. On my passenger side I didn’t use mine 👎, it just wouldn’t slip on from the off connection pipes and MBRP race catback. So I opened it up in hopes to just slip it over to tighten up for nope, took me over an hour to give up and just reuse a clamp from my exhaust lol. They are nice though!!

The connection clamps mine came with are MUCH smaller, maybe a 1/4th of that size.

JeromeS13 10-22-2017 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysonstuart (Post 9948413)

That's not where mine is leaking. Mine is leaking at the ball flange at the collector.

KyBoy 11-01-2017 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeromeS13 (Post 9948793)
That's not where mine is leaking. Mine is leaking at the ball flange at the collector.

Any way you could put up a photo of the header to 60606 connection? Are you tuned yet? No cats I presume?

SomeGeoffGuy 11-01-2017 10:43 AM

When in doubt, cake everything in copper RTV. Just plan on replacing the clamps if you ever have to take them off though if you use those extra wide band style.

-Geoff

G2K 11-01-2017 04:31 PM

Read the instructions again the big clamps got a 45tq and the front clamps the little curved ones are the ones that go at 25.

Also remember headers do sound like they are leaking naturally so dont confuse a real exhaust leak with just long tube headers sound.

Did you get under the car and verified the leak?

1LE Red Dragon 02-02-2018 11:44 AM

I got this leak on mine. Mine didnt leak for 6 months (8000 miles) then started to hear the leak. Took back to dealer that installed them. They work on them. Still leaks. Took back again, and couldnt get them to seal. Mine is at the sleeve clamp, not the spherical ball clamp. Anybody find a good way to seal these up without welding?