CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=155)
-   -   2016 6th Gen SS (V8) "Upgrades"... (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=277619)

90503 02-17-2013 09:37 AM

2016 6th Gen SS (V8) "Upgrades"...

Just curious...If the new Gen6 is smaller, lighter, handles better, etc., how would the hp/torq/0-60, etc. compare to the Gen5?...I've heard code numbers for other V-8's (LS7, whatever), what are we talking in c.i. or horsepower?...Will the LS3 or L99 be unchanged in the Gen6...

(Sort of burned out on the I-4 thing, so what about the "big-dog" engines that may go in the Gen6?)...Thanks...

GretchenGotGrowl 02-17-2013 09:42 AM

I think the LT1 will probably find its way into the Gen6. We don't know how much HP/TQ it will have when certified, but if GM's estimates of 450 are right then it should be very impressive in an approximately 300 lb lighter car. Only time will tell if the alpha platform is the choice for the Camaro and if you can fit an LT1 in it. I'm hopeful.

KMPrenger 02-17-2013 11:48 AM

Agree with gretchen. LT1 should make its way into the 6th gen. With the lighter weight there wouldn't have to be any more power than the current car to be a better performer...especially since the LT1 makes even better torque down low than the LS3 and L99 do.

If it comes in at 450/450 it will be a killer machine.

90503 02-17-2013 12:46 PM

Sorry for not knowing...but an LT1 is a what...V-8,...6.2 liter?...crank hp?...currently being used in Vettes???....a newer version of LS3?...

SlingShot 02-17-2013 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 90503 (Post 6171688)
Sorry for not knowing...but an LT1 is a what...V-8,...6.2 liter?...crank hp?...currently being used in Vettes???....a newer version of LS3?...

Here is a good write up ...

BigBlock69RS 02-17-2013 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 90503 (Post 6171688)

Here is some interesting reading

http://wot.motortrend.com/next-gen-l...ch-280365.html

mikeyg36 02-17-2013 01:04 PM

It is a brand new Gen V small block used in the C7 Vette. It is 6.2 liters with direct injection, VVT, and the dreaded AFM. GM estimates it with 450 HP 450 TQ. Apparently the torque curve is close to the LS7.

90503 02-17-2013 02:35 PM

Read the above links...thanks, boys...(sounds like they were written by the same guy, or they paraphrased the same press release...lol)...Anyway, sounds like a "better" engine...

...Didn't see any disclaimer about the AFM not being in manual cars...it was mentioned as akin to the L99 ...(Not sure what the case is with the 'Vettes)...AFM with a manual trans, would that even be possible?...

90503 02-17-2013 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by karguy (Post 6172260)
The new direct injected V8 is not necessarily better.AFM...:barf:
Which makes me think why would GM go through the additional cost of direct injection (as in a more expensive higher pressure pump) if the engine really doesn't make more power (additional variable valve timing) or get better mileage without AFM...
Also on direct injected engines intake valves can get more carbon buildup on intake valves since there is no gas that can clean them.
Another hint may be Porsche.While the new regular 911 get direct injected engines,the new sports GT3RS will have not direct injection.
Direct injection might be another gimmick for maybe slightly cleaner emissions...who knows?

Was thinking about AFM only...which my understanding is what shuts off the 4 cylinders...V-6s now have direct injection, without AFM, no cylinder shut-down...V-8's have L99 with AFM, LS3 does not have AFM...Wondering about the LT1, cylinder shut-down with both automatic and manual trans?, or AFM (cylinder shut-down) with the manual trans also with the LT1....

mikeyg36 02-17-2013 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 90503 (Post 6172576)
Was thinking about AFM only...which my understanding is what shuts off the 4 cylinders...V-6s now have direct injection, without AFM, no cylinder shut-down...V-8's have L99 with AFM, LS3 does not have AFM...Wondering about the LT1, cylinder shut-down with both automatic and manual trans?, or AFM (cylinder shut-down) with the manual trans also with the LT1....

Both manual and auto... That's why the LT1 makes me sick :barf:

SlingShot 02-17-2013 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by karguy (Post 6172260)
The new direct injected V8 is not necessarily better.AFM...:barf:
Which makes me think why would GM go through the additional cost of direct injection (as in a more expensive higher pressure pump) if the engine really doesn't make more power (additional variable valve timing) or get better mileage without AFM...
Also on direct injected engines intake valves can get more carbon buildup on intake valves since there is no gas that can clean them.
Another hint may be Porsche.While the new regular 911 get direct injected engines,the new sports GT3RS will have not direct injection.
Direct injection might be another gimmick for maybe slightly cleaner emissions...who knows?

One of the big things is the difference in power curves between DI and non DI engines. If you look at a dyno graph the HP has a curve where the TQ is flat in the DI engine. I believe the AFM will be used just to save on the GG tax.

mikeyg36 02-17-2013 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlingShot (Post 6172706)
One of the big things is the difference in power curves between DI and non DI engines. If you look at a dyno graph the HP has a curve where the TQ is flat in the DI engine. I believe the AFM will be used just to save on the GG tax.

It's being used to raise the CAFE ratings. The Corvette doesn't have GG tax to begin with.

SlingShot 02-17-2013 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeyg36 (Post 6172712)
It's being used to raise the CAFE ratings. The Corvette doesn't have GG tax to begin with.

The ZR1 does ... But who know as far as the 2014, prices haven't been released yet.

mikeyg36 02-17-2013 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlingShot (Post 6172750)
The ZR1 does ... But who know as far as the 2014, prices haven't been released yet.

Just saying, if an LS3 based Corvette doesn't have it, a non afm based LT1 wouldn't have it.

90503 02-17-2013 07:09 PM

Wow...If AFM is on all V-8 LT1 Gen6 Camaros...that is cause for concern...maybe the Vette boys have found a way around it already, or perhaps soon...

On another note, this direct injection business.....the LFX V-6 Camaros have that already...(seems to be a plus), but also means no after-market headers????...wonder if the same would be the case on direct-injection LT1s...

GretchenGotGrowl 02-17-2013 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 90503 (Post 6173106)
Wow...If AFM is on all V-8 LT1 Gen6 Camaros...that is cause for concern...maybe the Vette boys have found a way around it already, or perhaps soon...

On another note, this direct injection business.....the LFX V-6 Camaros have that already...(seems to be a plus), but also means no after-market headers????...wonder if the same would be the case on direct-injection LT1s...

LLT is DI and you can have headers. LFX also has the exhaust manifold integrated in the heads, that is why they can't do headers.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

sspolo 02-17-2013 09:14 PM

Does the Camaro and Corvette share the same engine? From what I understood, the ZR1 has the LS9, the Z06 has the LS7. Does the base Corvette have the LS3? If it does, I would have imagined the Camaro SS having an "inferior" engine in comparison to the base Corvette.

mikeyg36 02-17-2013 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sspolo (Post 6173723)
Does the Camaro and Corvette share the same engine? From what I understood, the ZR1 has the LS9, the Z06 has the LS7. Does the base Corvette have the LS3? If it does, I would have imagined the Camaro SS having an "inferior" engine in comparison to the base Corvette.

Yes, base Vette has the LS3 and the Grand Sport Coupe has a dry sump LS3.

90503 02-18-2013 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GretchenGotGrowl (Post 6173140)
LLT is DI and you can have headers. LFX also has the exhaust manifold integrated in the heads, that is why they can't do headers.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Ok...so let's say this LT1 engine is the "standard" V-8 for the 6thGen SS...

...any rumors, or whatever about other V-8 options?...LS7? LS3, is done with?...Could these be special ordered???...just hoping some V-8 would be available without AFM...

FenwickHockey65 02-18-2013 11:13 AM

LT4 will probably work its way into the 6th gen eventually.

90503 02-18-2013 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 (Post 6175509)
LT4 will probably work its way into the 6th gen eventually.

Ok...I'll bite...What the heck is an LT4?...lol...(sorry...lol)...(the short version will do)...lol

FenwickHockey65 02-18-2013 11:19 AM

Well let's just say the Gen V V8 is very friendly with forced induction.

GretchenGotGrowl 02-18-2013 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 90503 (Post 6175471)
Ok...so let's say this LT1 engine is the "standard" V-8 for the 6thGen SS...

...any rumors, or whatever about other V-8 options?...LS7? LS3, is done with?...Could these be special ordered???...just hoping some V-8 would be available without AFM...

I think the rumors about the LS7 are more for the final year(s) of the 5th Gen. I think (read hope) the LS7 will have it's swan song with the Camaro, but I'm pretty sure its on the way out.

I don't really know what to expect with the LS3. I don't think it will go away immediately, but GM is going the migrate everything over to the Gen V motors at some point. We will probably see the LS3 and L99 through the rest of the 5th Gen Camaro runs. We may see the L99 popup in some other platforms before it is retired. It's all really hard to guess, but we know ultimately GM will replace the Gen IV motors with the Gen V motors.

KMPrenger 02-18-2013 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 (Post 6175540)
Well let's just say the Gen V V8 is very friendly with forced induction.

We've touched on this subject before, and I have to say I don't doubt that at all.

The V6 DI engines are capable of making some pretty impressive power figures with just 6 - 8 psi of boost. (450+ HP at the crank) But past that amount of boost, we typically see fuel issues where the stock pump can't keep up.

That same small amount of boost on a modern V8 DI engine should be super impressive.

GretchenGotGrowl 02-18-2013 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KMPrenger (Post 6175827)
We've touched on this subject before, and I have to say I don't doubt that at all.

The V6 DI engines are capable of making some pretty impressive power figures with just 6 - 8 psi of boost. (450+ HP at the crank) But past that amount of boost, we typically see fuel issues where the stock pump can't keep up.

That same small amount of boost on a modern V8 DI engine should be super impressive.

Yeah, these mechanical High-Pressure Fuel Pumps are a PITA. Too big and they flow too much fuel at idle and low RPMs. Too small and they don't flow enough at the high RPMs. It would be nice if they had two, one that had a valve that didn't open to the fuel rails until the RPMs were above 4000, otherwise it just recirculates the fuel. I think that would solve the problem for high HP demands.

mikeyg36 02-18-2013 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GretchenGotGrowl (Post 6175993)
Yeah, these mechanical High-Pressure Fuel Pumps are a PITA. Too big and they flow too much fuel at idle and low RPMs. Too small and they don't flow enough at the high RPMs. It would be nice if they had two, one that had a valve that didn't open to the fuel rails until the RPMs were above 4000, otherwise it just recirculates the fuel. I think that would solve the problem for high HP demands.

Design it, patent it, and we'll go into business and sell that to car manufacturers for ridiculous amounts of money :D

GretchenGotGrowl 02-18-2013 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeyg36 (Post 6176242)
Design it, patent it, and we'll go into business and sell that to car manufacturers for ridiculous amounts of money :D

I'll leave that to the big guys because it would be expensive to develop. May have a better thing in the works for much cheaper, but it won't be my idea. Working on a way to port inject supplemental fuel at higher RPMs. It will have the advantage in that it will clean the valves, too (big problem with DI engines). Going to try to make it so you can also inject nitrous as well :D.

Mr. Wyndham 02-18-2013 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 90503 (Post 6171091)
Just curious...If the new Gen6 is smaller, lighter, handles better, etc., how would the hp/torq/0-60, etc. compare to the Gen5?...I've heard code numbers for other V-8's (LS7, whatever), what are we talking in c.i. or horsepower?...Will the LS3 or L99 be unchanged in the Gen6...

(Sort of burned out on the I-4 thing, so what about the "big-dog" engines that may go in the Gen6?)...Thanks...

Your best bet is to look into the new Gen-V small blocks that GM has developed. I'm sure there will be many variants, but the LT-1 in the new Corvette pumps out 450+hp/450+torque, with a torque curve similar to the LS7 up to about 4000 rpms...and dramatically increased fuel economy, too.

But...as long as your crystal ball is polished - you're guess is as good as mine!

SRT8Tech 02-18-2013 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 90503 (Post 6175522)
Ok...I'll bite...What the heck is an LT4?...lol...(sorry...lol)...(the short version will do)...lol

This is short...:)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_LT_engine

baby02 02-18-2013 04:36 PM

AFM on the 2014 stringray with have the option of turning on or off by the owner.

OldScoolCamaro 02-18-2013 05:14 PM

The skinny is that they are pitting the LF3<3.6 L TT> against the LT1<naturally aspirated 6.2L>, and the LF3 against the LT1 with a supercharger (ala LT4, as mentioned previously, but not specified in the report by the same engine nomenclature) in the next Gen Cadillac's. Stay tuned.

90503 02-18-2013 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham (Post 6176651)
Your best bet is to look into the new Gen-V small blocks that GM has developed. I'm sure there will be many variants, but the LT-1 in the new Corvette pumps out 450+hp/450+torque, with a torque curve similar to the LS7 up to about 4000 rpms...and dramatically increased fuel economy, too.

But...as long as your crystal ball is polished - you're guess is as good as mine!

By variants, perhaps you mean "options" or "choices" in the V-8 (s) ??
LT1 (with or without AFM, in either auto or manual trans)?, LT4 (Super-charged, turbo-charged)...Also, perhaps thinking incorrectly, that AFM is not "do-able" with some form of forced-induction..?

Just sayin', an option list for V-8 engines would be awesome, and right up Chevy's reputation for being able to interchange engines....(Perhaps crystal ball is getting a little foggy here)...lol

Quote:

Originally Posted by SRT8Tech (Post 6176678)

Thanks, gives what they used to be...but those links for the LT1 sort of showed that using the old codes for engines doesn't mean much these days...lol...

Quote:

Originally Posted by baby02 (Post 6176972)
AFM on the 2014 stringray with have the option of turning on or off by the owner.

If true, that sounds like a definite "upgrade" from the current LS3/L99..

Quote:

Originally Posted by OldScoolCamaro (Post 6177113)
The skinny is that they are pitting the LF3<3.6 L TT> against the LT1<naturally aspirated 6.2L>, and the LF3 against the LT1 with a supercharger (ala LT4, as mentioned previously, but not specified in the report by the same engine nomenclature) in the next Gen Cadillac's. Stay tuned.

Wondering again about Camaro V-8 options...would rather see them available as a choice from the beginning, instead of year-to-year assembly line change that would only be available for that particular year...

OldScoolCamaro 02-18-2013 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 90503 (Post 6177408)
LS3/L99..
Wondering again about Camaro V-8 options...would rather see them available as a choice from the beginning, instead of year-to-year assembly line change that would only be available for that particular year...

...but if one is a student of GM history, one would know they do not follow that approach you mentioned. They build engines, designate them for platforms/models, that are certified. Certification is a lenghty and time consuming process...thats' what GM does...guarantees their engines within a reasonable degree of cetainty. They do not deviate from that certification, until they come up with a new engine platform. In past history, these powerplants have been used for a predetermined service life. There is no yearly change, or upgrade, and this doctrine has been in place been. There is no reason they would change it. We have not seen what GM has in store with the DI Gen 5 motors. Cadillac and Corvette will unveil the next lineage, from there we shall follow. Stay tuned, and read on beyond C5 for info.

90503 02-18-2013 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OldScoolCamaro (Post 6177833)
...but if one is a student of GM history, one would know they do not follow that approach you mentioned. They build engines, designate them for platforms/models, that are certified. Certification is a lenghty and time consuming process...thats' what GM does...guarantees their engines within a reasonable degree of cetainty. They do not deviate from that certification, until they come up with a new engine platform. In past history, these powerplants have been used for a predetermined service life. There is no yearly change, or upgrade, and this doctrine has been in place been. There is no reason they would change it. We have not seen what GM has in store with the DI Gen 5 motors. Cadillac and Corvette will unveil the next lineage, from there we shall follow. Stay tuned, and read on beyond C5 for info.

Not disagreeing with you on that...sure you're probably right...was just thinking of a comparison like the 60's...you could get a 350, or a 396 or whatever, all in the same year, all with different variations...Probably never see that again, but why not, for example, LT1 (standard)...LS3, LT4,or LS7 available as an option...

...These engines already exist, are "certified" or whatever...just sayin'...

OldScoolCamaro 02-18-2013 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 90503 (Post 6177879)
Not disagreeing with you on that...sure you're probably right...was just thinking of a comparison like the 60's...you could get a 350, or a 396 or whatever, all in the same year, all with different variations...Probably never see that again, but why not, for example, LT1 (standard)...LS3, LT4,or LS7 available as an option...

...These engines already exist, are "certified" or whatever...just sayin'...

...I hear ya!. I liked those times as well, lots of choices, ala carte or individual options, engines, performance options, appearance packages, 16 colors etc....but alas...those were the days...<as Archie Bunker said> A far gone memory of the kind only read about in the history books...;)

Mr. Wyndham 02-18-2013 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 90503 (Post 6177408)
By variants, perhaps you mean "options" or "choices" in the V-8 (s) ??
LT1 (with or without AFM, in either auto or manual trans)?, LT4 (Super-charged, turbo-charged)...Also, perhaps thinking incorrectly, that AFM is not "do-able" with some form of forced-induction..?

Just sayin', an option list for V-8 engines would be awesome, and right up Chevy's reputation for being able to interchange engines....(Perhaps crystal ball is getting a little foggy here)...lol

Just a year ago...AFM wasn't doable with manual transmissions....but they figured it out for the C7 Corvette. ;) So...never say never, I guess is my point.

All I meant my "variants" was...when GM rolls over a new generation of V8...there are always different versions, for different applications...car engines, truck engines, FE engines, HO engines, blown engines, etc, etc....

May not have an a la carte list on the 6th-gen...in fact, my money is on definitely not...but we can't assume that the engine the 6th-gen Camaro get will be THE LT-1...could be a different variant, like how Chevy upgraded the LS1 to the LS6 to the LS2 to the LS3 within 6-8 years....:iono:

Bhobbs 02-18-2013 08:49 PM

1LE type suspension as stock.