CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=155)
-   -   Poll... Your 2016 Camaro (6th gen) engine choice? (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=352227)

attymf 04-10-2014 07:59 AM

Poll... Your 2016 Camaro (6th gen) engine choice?

So, V8 or V6 Twin Turbo and why...

I'm assuming the V6TT will be the same specs as the Cadillac XTS turbo. 410 HP and 396 TQ. I'm not too familiar with turbos. I know on a super charger you can simply change a pully and thus boost. Can this be done with a turbo. If so, can you easily mod this TT setup. If you can, what do you think you can safely push it to.

I've owned god only knows how many V8's in my life and have to say I've beat the crap out of every single one of them and am frankly amazed at the amount of abuse they have with stood (current Camaro included!) I like the rumble of the V8 and know what you can do to them as far as mods. I'm gonna assume the LT1 (current vette engine) will be in a Camaro down tuned to like 440-450 HP and TQ.

GretchenGotGrowl 04-10-2014 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by attymf (Post 7569253)
So, V8 or V6 Twin Turbo and why...

I'm assuming the V6TT will be the same specs as the Cadillac XTS turbo. 410 HP and 396 TQ. I'm not too familiar with turbos. I know on a super charger you can simply change a pully and thus boost. Can this be done with a turbo. If so, can you easily mod this TT setup. If you can, what do you think you can safely push it to.

I've owned god only knows how many V8's in my life and have to say I've beat the crap out of every single one of them and am frankly amazed at the amount of abuse they have with stood (current Camaro included!) I like the rumble of the V8 and know what you can do to them as far as mods. I'm gonna assume the LT1 (current vette engine) will be in a Camaro down tuned to like 440-450 HP and TQ.

There are no pulleys for turbos. You can usually get a nice pump in power just with a tune (The Caddies with the LF3 are seeing around 400+ RWHP just from a tune). Add some bolt-ons, change the waste gate springs and it can be more. Upgrade the turbos and even more. However, at some point you will start breaking things. My guess is if the LF3 goes in the 6th Gen you will see a lot of 500 RWHP ones running around in a year or so.

If the factory tune on the LT-1 for the 6th Gen is anything like what they are seeing in the vettes, then there's going to be quite a bit left on the table. You will get 400+ RWHP just from a tune on those as well. Getting to 500 RWHP will be a little more expensive for the LT-1 IMHO, but we don't know the price difference between the vehicles so it may be a wash. I would suspect you can push the LT-1 to a higher HP level before needing to upgrade the bottom end, but that's just a guess.

So, given the assumptions above I would probably go with the LF3 over the LT-1. If you throw the LT-4 into the mix then I would go with that.

Bhobbs 04-10-2014 09:56 AM

V8 and no boost for me.

attymf 04-10-2014 10:18 AM

Just an after thought. Since the new frame is gonna be a rwd and awd frame and that the XTS Caddy can be a V6TT AWD do you think Chevy may offer the Camaro in an AWD TT. Would be a nice addition/competitor to the Subarus and other awd cars.
Kinda could get into an AWD Automatic TT Camaro. Would make for some very consistant ET's!

ChocoTaco369 04-10-2014 11:27 AM

The V6 could be smaller, lighter, more powerful and get better gas mileage. I'd still get the V8. Only 1% of my vehicle's life is spent with my foot full throttle and at the pump. 99% of my time in my car is spent somewhere in between. There is more to a motor than horsepower and fuel economy. Motors have a feel, and a V8 has a feel that the best V6 in the world could never match. It's the way the torque curve is shaped, the pulsations of the motor and the glorious sound. 8 cylinders are necessary to get that identity.

Bhobbs 04-10-2014 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by attymf (Post 7569640)
Just an after thought. Since the new frame is gonna be a rwd and awd frame and that the XTS Caddy can be a V6TT AWD do you think Chevy may offer the Camaro in an AWD TT. Would be a nice addition/competitor to the Subarus and other awd cars.
Kinda could get into an AWD Automatic TT Camaro. Would make for some very consistant ET's!

I highly doubt they would build an AWD Camaro.

hiddenangels89 04-10-2014 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bhobbs (Post 7569932)
I highly doubt they would build an AWD Camaro.

I'm willing to bet my annual pay they wouldn't make an AWD Camaro.

kinda brings me into the light of the CERV II, Mid Engine... AWD.... V8... mmm... imagine what they could do today... off topic..

oneredry 04-10-2014 02:43 PM

2 varients of V8's. 1 v6 and a turbo'd 4cyl. (not really a fan of 4 cyl muscle cars, but thats just my opinion)

Bhobbs 04-10-2014 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oneredry (Post 7570462)
2 varients of V8's. 1 v6 and a turbo'd 4cyl. (not really a fan of 4 cyl muscle cars, but thats just my opinion)

That's what I think.

Turbo 4
LFX or LGX
LT1
Some variant of the LT4

2014v6 04-10-2014 08:54 PM

ttv6... power of the v8 and the gas millage would be awesome...

Emig5m 04-11-2014 06:56 AM

I think the 5th gen V6 RS should of been twin/single turbo already. But I think there should always be a V8 for Mustangs, Challengers, and Camaros. V6s just sound too crappy and ricey to be in a flagship model "muscle car". I think this is the biggest issue. Low end torque would be the second issue and then the pride/ego thing of owning a "V8" muscle car. But times are changing and so is technology... Maybe the V8 can still be in the lower production models like the ZL1 and Z28 and the twin turbo V6 could be the move towards a more eco friendly performance vehicle.

They need to make it sound good without making it ricey though. Possible? Are the die hard V8 rumble crowd going to reject it? I might be a minority, but as a someone who has mainly owned V8s, I personally could care less about V8 rumble. In fact, I don't even like the sound of a cammed V8 with a loud exhaust. Sounds too rugged and like it's misfiring. I took my Lightning out for a drive the other day and coming from a V6 Camaro, the exhaust sound of the V8 wasn't even a thought in my mind but damned I love that supercharger whine though!

Camaro_Corvette 04-11-2014 07:13 AM

LT1 straight from the c7.

attymf 04-12-2014 08:26 AM

I'd like an 8 speed automatic AWD TT V6

PYROLYSIS 04-12-2014 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by attymf (Post 7575222)
I'd like an 8 speed automatic AWD TT V6

So a Camaro version of the CTS V-sport? Sounds expensive but should be a fun car. I would stay rear wheel drive V8 but I don't think the Camaro needs to be limited if enough people are thinking like you are. I hope you get your choice.