CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=155)
-   -   Official: 6th Gen Camaro Production to Move to U.S. Lansing Grand River Plant (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=266635)

shrinkdoc 12-19-2012 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by motorhead (Post 5936644)
Does it really matter were it's built? I'm more worried about what it's going to look like and how it's going to perform.

If they wants to keep their job, they will builds them right.:paddle:

motorhead 12-19-2012 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham (Post 5936866)
But where it's built is the hot topic of the day! For now...we're just assuming it'll look hot, and perform awesome. ;)

True it is a hot topic for some folks. To me it's no big deal. It isn't like it's going to cause the plant to close. It sounds more like they are going to be expanding so really, Canada should be happy about the news. And, it's good for the folks in the states because they will probably have to hire more workers. It sounds like a win win for everyone involved. I have no worries about build quality in the states verses Canada.

Mr. Wyndham 12-19-2012 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shrinkdoc (Post 5937221)
I suspect this is do to the Right to Work issue. GM has been trying to get away from unions for years.:drinking:

Has nothing to do with this....How strange this keeps coming up...even after GM's own press release detailed a couple of other much larger reasons...

Sonic is made in the US, by Chevy. :thumbsup:

Quote:

Originally Posted by motorhead (Post 5937261)
True it is a hot topic for some folks....I have no worries about build quality in the states verses Canada.

Me, either....If I recall correctly...Lansing won a quality award, similar to Oshawa, out of all the assembly plants in North America.

RTRO 2SS 12-19-2012 11:05 PM

Made in America

I'm Happy to hear this news. Let’s hope they assemble the car with parts make in the USA. I can’t tell you how disappointed I was when I took one of the wheels off and discovered it was made in China. It Saddens me that we import so many thing these days that I feel should be made here at home.

Mr. Wyndham 12-19-2012 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RTRO 2SS (Post 5937424)
I'm Happy to hear this news. Let’s hope they assemble the car with parts make in the USA. I can’t tell you how disappointed I was when I took one of the wheels off and discovered it was made in China. It Saddens me that we import so many thing these days that I feel should be made here at home.

Slightly off-topic.....Find hope in the fact that we are still making lots of things here. They just happen to be very expensive and complex...which is a shift from the cheap, mass-produced "widgets" that are easier to talk about. :thumbsup:

And in a few years...we can add Camaros to the list of exports! ;)

douglat2 12-19-2012 11:12 PM

I couldn't be happier about this! I was born, raised, and still live in Lansing. When GM tore down half the plants we had here it killed us. It's nice to see more cars being built here. The Grand River Plant is an awesome facility and I can't wait to see the next generation camaros start rolling off the line. As for people worried about us taking pride in our work, you obviously don't know us. We love building cars, it's what we've been doing for generations. We always take pride in the cars that we build in lansing, and now we get to take pride in one of the most iconic name plates in American motoring history.

Doglife1LE 12-19-2012 11:16 PM

This is great news. When my 1LE is paid off they should be a couple of model years in, which will be perfect timing for me to get a Gen 6.

JusticePete 12-19-2012 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by douglat2 (Post 5937449)
I couldn't be happier about this! I was born, raised, and still live in Lansing. When GM tore down half the plants we had here it killed us. It's nice to see more cars being built here. The Grand River Plant is an awesome facility and I can't wait to see the next generation camaros start rolling off the line. As for people worried about us taking pride in our work, you obviously don't know us. We love building cars, it's what we've been doing for generations. We always take pride in the cars that we build in lansing, and now we get to take pride in one of the most iconic name plates in American motoring history.

:respekt:

mlee 12-19-2012 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daveagogo1 (Post 5934967)
If it is then great. I only hope that it's built in Lansing with the same pride and quality it is built with in Oshawa. Mike Judge and the Oshawa crew are top notch. Both in building cars and within the Camaro community.

A lot of mixed emotions with this one, but this ^^^^ pretty much sums it up.:respekt:

grocerygetter 12-19-2012 11:41 PM

So camaro5 should do some kind of Oshawa thank u for the 5th gen at 2014 Fest.

velocity149 12-20-2012 12:16 AM

actually, this isn't so bad, right now, i see 5th gen camaros EVERYWHERE in oshawa, and the GTA, if they are made further away, do you think less will be shipped to teh area? I went to teh dealership to buy a camaro, not a car. but alot of people go to teh dealership to buy a car, and decide which one by what they see. right now, oshawa has a good number of camaros in the dealerships, and if that number decreases, we will see more people driving camaros not only becasue thats the car they liked te most st the dealership, but because that is what they wanted to order.

Obzen 12-20-2012 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RTRO 2SS (Post 5937424)

Not gonna happen. There's gonna be parts from all kinds of countries of origin. The vast majority of the plastic parts are made in mexico. GM contracts out tons of manufacturers, even for the same part. One piece may be made by 20 different factories. Its the only way to keep costs down and production up. An all american Camaro from top to bottom would cost a fortune.

Not that it wouldn't be cool to have :thumbup:

With envy 12-20-2012 01:31 AM

I am thrilled! This is huge news to me, because I have a very personal connection to Lansing: It's my home town!

I am a Michigan refugee.

I was born in Lansing. I graduated from high school right into the middle of the great recession, in the middle of Michigan, no less. My prospects were grim at best. I have memories of showing up to apply at a newly built restaurant that had advertised it was hiring, only to find a line outside that stretched down the block and around the corner. A hundred or so people for a handful of jobs that paid $3.35. By the late 80's I'd had enough. I did the same as so many before me, and left to find opportunity elsewhere.
A few years ago I went back to visit family. I discovered that the original Oldsmobile plant was being demolished. I stopped to watch the excavators pulling down the walls of the factory I remembered from my childhood. The factory with the giant red sign that proclaimed "Home of the Rocket Engine Olds!" Admittedly, I was never really that attached to Olds. Ironically, it was the a big part of the reason I chose a '69 Camaro as my first car. All the other kids I went to school with drove Cutlasses and 442s because their dads all worked for Olds. I was buying my own car with my own money, and I wanted to be different (but I didn't want a Ford), so I chose Chevrolet and Camaro. I bought my car in the shadow in that plant. And I have to confess that watching it being razed disturbed me almost to tears. It was if I was watching the death of my home.
With the future of the surrounding communities always in question, it's great to see something positive happen for a change. I know the Canadians are proud to build the Camaro, but I'm sure GM will continue to keep them busy, and they will build whatever nameplate they are given with the same pride and dedication. As to the right to work issue: I don't see that as any factor since the decision was probably made long before the vote, and GM has always been UAW, and will always be UAW.
And now I will soon be able to say that I was made in Lansing, just like my Camaro!

I wonder if I can get a sticker for that!?

KarFan 12-20-2012 01:33 AM

Pure business decision and a good one for Camaro fans. Camaro is going where fellow Alpha platform mates cars are being built. Both Lansing and Oshawa build high quality cars and will have plenty to build for many years to come. GM is in the car business to make money.

Tara Martin 12-20-2012 04:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daveagogo1 (Post 5934967)
If it is then great. I only hope that it's built in Lansing with the same pride and quality it is built with in Oshawa. Mike Judge and the Oshawa crew are top notch. Both in building cars and within the Camaro community.

:word: Agreed; Mike is a true professional and a great Camaro enthusiast! He touched my car!

LWM 12-20-2012 06:58 AM

Exactly. Our Canadian friends in Oshawa have proven over and over their ability to build a quality product. I am sure politics figure somewhere in this decision to unravel a proven manufacturing model.........this may or may not come back to bite our friends at GM! Love my Camaro!!

Angrybird 12 12-20-2012 07:37 AM

I can't believe some of the things I am reading in this thread. Some of you act like its the end of the world that GM is bringing Camaro production back to the USA. After the bailout so many people were saying GM needs to make more in the USA and stop sending production to other countries, now when they are trying to do just that, people are complaining about it.
One car line out of all they make at Oahawa is not going to shut them down. In fact as I said before it is an opportunity to increase production of the cars they already make or maybe even start building a completely new model there.

And moving the Camaro to a plant where they make Cadillacs couldn't hurt quality. Caddy is trying to regain the title of "Standard of the World" for that you need quality people building quality cars.

So quityourbellyaching and enjoy your Camaro.

Bad@ssCamaro 12-20-2012 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 (Post 5938203)
I can't believe some of the things I am reading in this thread. Some of you act like its the end of the world that GM is bringing Camaro production back to the USA. After the bailout so many people were saying GM needs to make more in the USA and stop sending production to other countries, now when they are trying to do just that, people are complaining about it.
One car line out of all they make at Oahawa is not going to shut them down. In fact as I said before it is an opportunity to increase production of the cars they already make or maybe even start building a completely new model there.

And moving the Camaro to a plant where they make Cadillacs couldn't hurt quality. Caddy is trying to regain the title of "Standard of the World" for that you need quality people building quality cars.

So quityourbellyaching and enjoy your Camaro.

:clap::clap::clap:

Blade 12-20-2012 08:38 AM

Great so the 6th Gen guys are gonna tout that they have an "American" made Camaro as to our "Canadian" made lol.

Well Canada brought us hockey, Labatt's, maple syrup and Eliza Dushku, so I will take the 5th Gen as well :-P

Wizard1183 12-20-2012 08:49 AM

It shouldn't matter whether its stateside or Canada. Are you going to say you will NOW have a car made in USA when many parts are made in Mexico?

HDRDTD 12-20-2012 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ackeight (Post 5934713)
I wonder if the right to work laws played a part??

I would guess no, simply because the decision to move production was probably decided at the management level long before the new right-to-work law was passed and signed.

5th_GEN_SS 12-20-2012 10:55 AM

http://i48.tinypic.com/2u5yz2f.jpg

Edwin320 12-20-2012 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by akCamaross (Post 5934835)
Merica.

+1

Xello 12-20-2012 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blade (Post 5938368)
Great so the 6th Gen guys are gonna tout that they have an "American" made Camaro as to our "Canadian" made lol.

Well Canada brought us hockey, Labatt's, maple syrup and Eliza Dushku, so I will take the 5th Gen as well :-P

My Camaro is an American made Camaro. North America!

I like having an import that really isn't.

tjd24 12-20-2012 11:44 AM

Proud to own an Oshawa-built 2010 Camaro #3434 and to have met the Builders at the BBOMG 2 & 3 events in Oshawa, especially the Camaro Homecoming in 2011. I hope they get enough work to care for everyone employed - they're professional, committed to quality and great people.