CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=155)
-   -   6th Gen Camaro once again rumored with 2.0L turbo 4 cylinder variant (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=263881)

shockandawe 12-03-2012 01:34 PM

The 2.0 turbo may work if they drop about 1500 lbs. off the current Camaro.

VR Baron 12-03-2012 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HDRDTD (Post 5873974)
right from the gmauthority web site...

It’s been the ongoing story around the collective automotive blogosphere that the next-generation Chevrolet Camaro will be both smaller and lighter, thanks to the vehicle’s adaptation to GM’s Alpha platform over the more rigid and heavier Zeta architecture it currently rides on. The downsizing will also reflect what’s going to happen in the engine bay, as sources have confirmed with us that a 2.0L turbocharged four cylinder engine will be found in the sixth-generation Camaro, which is still a few years out from launching.
The engine choice doesn’t surprise us, as the next Camaro shapes itself to be a more global performance car and has to adhere to countries that mandate displacement, and even CAFE fuel economy regulations here in the United States. It may be a one-size-fits-all approach, but it in no way means that there will not be a 300-something horsepower V6 or next-generation small block V8 in the lineup, either. And since the next Camaro will be smaller and lighter, it should still make for a fun drive no matter how many cylinders are under its hood.

Heard this a few years ago that might head in this direction. V8 may be there but cost more then most will pay

SnoopyAce7 12-03-2012 02:20 PM

Just give a RWD option for the cobalt instead of a 4 cyl. option for the camaro?

Mr. Wyndham 12-03-2012 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tran (Post 5873676)
Going back as far as 2008, there have been rumors of a possible turbo 4 cylinder engine for the current Camaro. Even Bob Lutz, who was then the Vice Chairman of GM, alluded to the possibility for the 5th Gen Camaro at the time.

In the years since, the possibility of a turbo 4 cylinder for the next 6th gen Camaro has not only been floated as rumors, but also accepted as a very real possibility, especially as other auto companies have piled on to the forced induction bandwagon in an effort to increase fuel efficiency in the face of ever increasing MPG requirements.

GM Authority now claims that 'sources' (unnamed) have confirmed to them plans for a 2.0L turbocharged four cylinder for the 6th gen Camaro. The next Camaro is likely not due for 2-4 years, and will switch from its current Zeta platform to the smaller and lighter Alpha platform. The offering of a smaller/lighter and more efficient engine option for a smaller/lighter Camaro certainly makes sense.

High displacement fans shouldn't fret though, as the addition of a turbo 4 option doesn't mean that there will not also be V6 and V8 models, which we expect there to be.

I think the part in bold tells the story...

If true...remember...this is all rumor 3 years out....But if true, this isn't "bad news" that makes the car any less of what it will be...rather, imho...it could be fantastic news. We know the people responsible for this car, Camaro...and we know that THEY know what it's all about. Whatever they offer as a base model, be it a V6 or Turbo 4 cylinder, will absolutely live up to the exciting driving dynamic that is the hallmark of a Camaro.

<-- This guy's not worried...in fact, I'm a little bit excited...I'd be all over a 3300-3400 lb turbo 4 6th-gen Camaro to replace the Cobalt, and park alongside the ZL1.....hmmmmmm.....:rolleyes: :D

2ssx2 12-03-2012 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham (Post 5874643)
I think the part in bold tells the story...

If true...remember...this is all rumor 3 years out....But if true, this isn't "bad news" that makes the car any less of what it will be...rather, imho...it could be fantastic news. We know the people responsible for this car, Camaro...and we know that THEY know what it's all about. Whatever they offer as a base model, be it a V6 or Turbo 4 cylinder, will absolutely live up to the exciting driving dynamic that is the hallmark of a Camaro.

<-- This guy's not worried...in fact, I'm a little bit excited...I'd be all over a 3300-3400 lb turbo 4 6th-gen Camaro to replace the Cobalt, and park alongside the ZL1.....hmmmmmm.....:rolleyes: :D

My turbo cobalt rips. I would leave all of the stock Camaro's on this forum in the dust. The LNF Platform is a beast and there are some serious after market for these motors. If the Camaro was on a serious diet you could easily have a 600 hp LNF motor pushing it.

htron50 12-03-2012 02:32 PM

so much oxygen on so little news..... whew...

Nessal 12-03-2012 03:14 PM

I wouldn't mind a lower displacement with forced induction. But it has to have 8 cylinders.

vroomapunk 12-03-2012 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2ssx2 (Post 5874660)
My turbo cobalt rips. I would leave all of the stock Camaro's on this forum in the dust. The LNF Platform is a beast and there are some serious after market for these motors. If the Camaro was on a serious diet you could easily have a 600 hp LNF motor pushing it.

Your cobalt is fast, at the expense of good looks and being a nice sized car. The camaro will never be as small as the civics and cobalts of today. You are preaching to the wrong group if you think we want a really fast go kart, instead of a big aggressive looking car.

Obviously any car on a diet will be faster, I just dont think a turbo 2.0L will be all that quick, I also dont think they are trying to make it fast. Just a more efficient base model that wont be faster than todays V6 camaro.

I would be more concerned with it if I was younger, but now that Ive had my first SS, Im sure I wont own anything with less than 8cylinders in the future, unless its a GTR.

FenwickHockey65 12-03-2012 03:23 PM

I think a lot of people are missing one thing: There will still be a V8. If you don't want the 2.0T, then buy the V8.

Too many people are focused on the cylinder count and ignore the fact that it's a very versatile and adaptive engine that has already proven itself time and time again. Plus a world-class platform that will be lighter than Zeta.

PQ 12-03-2012 03:45 PM

Meh................ I don't really care. Like Fen said, you can always get the V8.

I think it's funny though. KIA and Hyundai will be proud though. :bellyroll:

Hall of Fame 12-03-2012 03:53 PM

If it doesn't come at all with a v8 possibly a front wheel drive, get the sawzall, welder, and one will go in. Plenty of older v8 maros out there. I am seriously thinking of making an HHR small block project when mine gets more miles. It will be a rear wheel drive.

mjross 12-03-2012 03:58 PM

Yawn...................

HDRDTD 12-03-2012 04:06 PM

Perhaps look at it this way.

Offer a base model with a turbo 2.0 for those people that want a Camaro,but are on a budget and want good gas milage. It would also help with the corporate CAFE requirements.

Offer a up-level Camaro with a V6 either NA or FI for a mid-level performance option.

Offer a ZL1 class Camaro using the new DI LT4, either NA or FI.

With these variations, selling Turbo 2's, and V6's will help bring the CAFE milage up towards where it needs to be and allows GM to contiue to produce smaller volumes of cars with the real HP of a DI LT4.

For those that want a Camaro for apperance reasons, they have the Turbo 2 at a low price point,and for those of us that want a Camaro for performance, they can still offer the LT4 V8.

c4maroboy 12-03-2012 04:07 PM

the world will end as we know it...a 4cylinder muscle car...boy am i glad i got my ZL1..i honestly think we wont see a mass produced ZL1 or high performance camaro ever again after the 5th gen

blgl1800 12-03-2012 04:30 PM

Always wanted a V8 - got it. Always wanted a supercharger - got it.
Always wanted a 68 Camaro = bought a 2011 - got it (well close enough for me). Would not by a 4 - or 6, that's just me. I liked my 350Z with the high rev engine driving through tunnels, love the V8 early morning start.
I'm sure if they put a smart car engine in a Camaro someone would like it.

AHMITO 12-03-2012 04:47 PM

as long as they will still have the V8 then they can do whatever they want :)

sspolo 12-03-2012 04:48 PM

If they make a V8 (as it states they will) then it's good since it will please many of you folks. If they do make a 4 cylinder and 6 cylinder, then it's probably even better since they will sell a lot more cars and you can probably expect to get a 7 or 8 generation Camaro.

What I am a little skeptical about is the following. I read that for future generations, car makers will start making smaller cars. While we can see why smaller cars might be the future, I really can't imagine a Camaro being smaller since that would take away its mean, manly, muscle, imposing look and it might end up having a weaker look.

Wizard1183 12-03-2012 04:50 PM

The 6th gen V8 will no doubt be smaller than the current 6.2L. I'm betting it'll be 5.5L or what not. Though I'm curious. If they produce a Z-28, which gets the LT1? The Z? Or the SS? I doubt both will have 450hp.

its a syn 12-03-2012 04:58 PM

Remember back in the early 70's we bragged about 350 hp V8's, now we bash the 350 hp V6 . Today we brag about our 450 hp V8's, tomorrow (future) we'll bash the 450 hp V6! I can't wait for the future, these are great times to be a motorhead!!!! Bring on whatever makes me go fast.

rocketman 12 12-03-2012 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hylton (Post 5874085)
I agree - the 4 banger Mustang sold well back in the early 80's even though you could have made the car go faster by pushing it.

My first car was one of those.....I actually got it up over 70 once, about needed to change my pants afterwards though. :yikes:

trewyn15 12-03-2012 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 (Post 5874228)
:facepalm::facepalm:

Obviously you people aren't familiar with just how good GM's 2.0T is. There's a reason a lot of people prefer the ATS 2.0T over the more powerful LFX.

:facepalm::thumbdown:

'You people' that you are referring too are pretty familiar.. Doesn't mean we want a 2.0T in a Camaro. Let me say that again, a CAMARO.

What's more important to sales? Your opinion (as a seller) or our opinion (as your target market). Now I'm no marketing major, but I think it goes without saying that our opinion is far more important.

2ssx2 12-03-2012 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vroomapunk (Post 5874826)
Your cobalt is fast, at the expense of good looks and being a nice sized car. The camaro will never be as small as the civics and cobalts of today. You are preaching to the wrong group if you think we want a really fast go kart, instead of a big aggressive looking car.

Obviously any car on a diet will be faster, I just dont think a turbo 2.0L will be all that quick, I also dont think they are trying to make it fast. Just a more efficient base model that wont be faster than todays V6 camaro.

I would be more concerned with it if I was younger, but now that Ive had my first SS, Im sure I wont own anything with less than 8cylinders in the future, unless its a GTR.

I have a new Camaro on order. Look at it this way.

Alpha Platform gen 6
base model with 2.0 turbo= 25,000
15k in motor work, exhaust, and bigger turbo = 600 plus hp

Alpha platform gen 6
SS model LS3=40K
430hp

1camaro70 12-03-2012 05:35 PM

The car I traded for my SS was a 2.0 turbo, VW Audi have up to 265/ 258 hp/tq AND all wheel drive, give me this in the Camaro at 3600 lbs. and I would buy, hate parking it in winter now.

motorhead 12-03-2012 05:37 PM

If it's fast and still looks decent, I don't care what engines they drop in. You people have to remember that GM knows they already gave us old timers our car to relive our youth. Now they need to get something out there that young people want to keep the fire burning for GM products. Every manufacturer is heading this direction and there is nothing we can do about it. Thank high fuel mileage standards and high fuel prices for what is going on.

zogster 12-03-2012 05:38 PM

I test drove an ATS with the turbo 2.0L 4cyl. It's just as quick as the Camaro V6, and I drove an automatic ATS (my Camaro is stick). I'm sure it would have felt quicker with the stick.

The ATS goes around corners way better than my Camaro. The difference is crazy. I'd pick a turbo ATS dressed up as a Camaro over what I have right now, and that's essentially what we'll get with the 6th gen.