Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   To Delete Mufflers or Not? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=419849)

Brutal SS 08-14-2015 11:08 AM

To Delete Mufflers or Not?

I just bought my 2015 1LE after trading my 2011 SS. I deleted the mufflers on the 2011 and I loved it, but I'm hesitant to do the same to this car. I'm not ready for headers or any mod that will require a tune, but I want a very aggressive sound until I am ready for headers. Should I go straight pipes again, or is there a better option I should consider to achieve this goal? Any advice on this is very welcome! Thanks!

Camarotobeornottobe 08-14-2015 11:15 AM

Isn't the 'fuse pulled NPP' nothing more than opening up the mufflers so that it is a straight-through design? If so, and if the sound would be the same with muffler delete, it is the way to go. The NPP with fuse pull just sounds OUTSTANDING. If you got that sound without the weight of the mufflers (or the NPP rattle tendency), that would be win-win-win.

Camarotobeornottobe 08-14-2015 11:18 AM

Wait -- won't it fail Virginia inspection without some appearance of a muffler?

GONIF 08-14-2015 12:00 PM

Stainless works Retro cat back system , or Borla Attack . Then when your ready for the Long tubes everything will bolt right up nice and easy. ?Both give a great sound .BUt do not expect any HP gain ,that will come with the long tubes.

markgws6 08-14-2015 12:26 PM

I'd take a listen to the NPP in person that has had the fuse removed. NPP is very aggressive sounding, especially on cold startup or revs. You can delete the Cats or get hi-flow cats and it will be considerably louder still, even without headers and you can add a 3 way controller later too making it quiet when driving early on Sundays or with the Mrs/Miss if you care about such things.

Red2014SS 08-14-2015 12:32 PM

Muffler delete doesn't cost much. It won't hurt anything. So why not? I think it sounds good.

Brutal SS 08-14-2015 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camarotobeornottobe (Post 8586408)
Isn't the 'fuse pulled NPP' nothing more than opening up the mufflers so that it is a straight-through design? If so, and if the sound would be the same with muffler delete, it is the way to go. The NPP with fuse pull just sounds OUTSTANDING. If you got that sound without the weight of the mufflers (or the NPP rattle tendency), that would be win-win-win.

I thought about that, but I'm not sure that would be much different from a muffler delete, since I would keep it open all the time.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camarotobeornottobe (Post 8586415)
Wait -- won't it fail Virginia inspection without some appearance of a muffler?

Technically, yes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GONIF (Post 8586521)
Stainless works Retro cat back system , or Borla Attack . Then when your ready for the Long tubes everything will bolt right up nice and easy. ?Both give a great sound .BUt do not expect any HP gain ,that will come with the long tubes.

Borla atak sounds good from what I've heard. Maybe I can find an example of the stainless works, would like to hear that one!

[QUOTE=Red2014SS;8586589]Muffler delete doesn't cost much. It won't hurt anything. So why not? I think it sounds good.[/QUOTE
I'm on the fence!

hammdo 08-14-2015 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red2014SS (Post 8586589)
Muffler delete doesn't cost much. It won't hurt anything. So why not? I think it sounds good.

The drone... :faint:

Solos with j pipes may be ok. I did it, loud and droney... Solos helped the drone.

-Don

camarosspower 08-14-2015 02:41 PM

I wouldn't cut off the npp mufflers. Might as well buy a used reg ss exhaust and muffler delete that then sell your whole npp system. Pull the fuse first though.sounds basically the same as a muffler delete

Red2014SS 08-14-2015 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hammdo (Post 8586759)
The drone... :faint:

Solos with j pipes may be ok. I did it, loud and droney... Solos helped the drone.

-Don

Yours drones? That's weird. Mine doesn't drone. Even after I got headers, it still doesn't drone. It's actually a little too quiet for my tastes.

bryaannnn6 08-14-2015 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by camarosspower (Post 8586827)
I wouldn't cut off the npp mufflers. Might as well buy a used reg ss exhaust and muffler delete that then sell your whole npp system. Pull the fuse first though.sounds basically the same as a muffler delete

Maybe I missed this but if you do the fuse pull. Can you and how would you go back to 'regular' if you ever wanted go back to closed NPP

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Pluto 08-14-2015 03:01 PM

If you have NPP don't delete just pull the fuse...if you have suit cases cut them off you won't have drone...if you go headers you will drone or at least I did. I wish I had the NPP now but all I'm left with is the suitcases because I can't justify $1150 or more for a system that provides sound and no power.

GONIF 08-14-2015 03:02 PM

Who says he has NPP ?

djpelosi 08-14-2015 03:06 PM

No mufflers are the best mufflers. Sounds great, reduces weight, and is cheap to do.