CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=155)
-   -   Automatic Emergency Braking (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=518960)

wjmeyer 01-21-2018 02:52 PM

Automatic Emergency Braking

It seems every car advertised on tv is bragging about automatic emergency braking, AEB, especially foreign cars like Nissan, Honda, etc. I remember a story that all cars have to have it by 2022. It sure would be nice if Camaro added it soon, it's a nice feature to have to avoid a rear-end collision. Does anyone know when Chevy plans to add it to the Camaro.

Bigdog9586 01-21-2018 03:11 PM

My wife’s Caddy has it but it only works when the cruise is engaged. Not sure on other makes but I can say one thing is if I’m going say 40 mph don’t matter and I come up to a stop where there is a car stopped up in front of me I don’t have the guts to wait out the stopping of it. They wait till the very last second and then basically step on the brakes. I also find it a pain on the highway. I set the cruise on 70 and no matter what if it creeps up on a slower car when it gets so close it slows to its speed. If I’m not paying attention I could go on for miles at say 60 in a 70 zone when all I would have had to do is pull to left lane and passed. The other wonder is these self driving cars what do they do in the snow? The ones GM has shown pictures of come with no steering wheel or pedals hmmm m

RollaMo 01-21-2018 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wjmeyer (Post 10050066)
it's a nice feature to have to avoid a rear-end collision.

As opposed to learning how to pay attention when driving? :iono:

Mark114 01-21-2018 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RollaMo (Post 10050099)
As opposed to learning how to pay attention when driving? :iono:

Yes, that's a tough call. Rush hour driving here in St. Louis can be a real challenge. All too often somebody cuts me off if I leave enough space between my car and the car in front of me. Then we have all the distracted drivers that slam on their brakes at the last minute. I wouldn't want to rely on automatic braking but it might be a nice safety net to have it. A bit like the seat belts and air bags. Don't want to ever use them but glad they're there just in case...

Bigdog9586 01-21-2018 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark114 (Post 10050176)
Yes, that's a tough call. Rush hour driving here in St. Louis can be a real challenge. All too often somebody cuts me off if I leave enough space between my car and the car in front of me. Then we have all the distracted drivers that slam on their brakes at the last minute. I wouldn't want to rely on automatic braking but it might be a nice safety net to have it. A bit like the seat belts and air bags. Don't want to ever use them but glad they're there just in case...

By the time your GMvehicle stops you in an emergency you’re going to need to change your shorts. Check this video
https://youtu.be/HFCA-bZu_E4

PinHead 01-21-2018 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark114 (Post 10050176)

I've been driving for MULTIPLE DECADES, (yep I'm Old) and I have NEVER REAR-ENDED ANYONE WHILE DRIVING.

If you do rear-end someone you're not maintaining sufficient following distance.

Here's the more important reason why I WILL NEVER REPLY ON ANY SAFETY NANNIES.https://youtu.be/o9O-aejD0vI

tThey really need to improve Driver's Training in the U.S. and emphasize the P.Y.H.O.O.Y.A. Safety Techniques.

Koldunic 01-22-2018 06:25 AM

My girlfriend have a new Toyota Highlander with that feature. After one month we experienced it for the first time and hated it.

I was on the right lane of a highway, nobody was in my lane for at least a couple hundreds meters. A car was slowing in the exit lane on my right side. Not the same lane and the automatic break system engaged aggresively...

craigss50 01-22-2018 07:25 AM

Our new Accord has all the latest nannies. So far I like them. Not too intrusive. I specially like adaptive cruise control. No more having to slow down or speed up on highway driving. It does it for you. I thought the camera was good on the Camaro but the Honda is even clearer. One thing the Honda does not do is adjust the side mirrors to the driver. My wife uses the old technique which is a redundant view of the side of the car while I use the recommended setting that when an approaching vehicle leaves the rear view mirror you see it in the side mirrors and when it leaves the side mirror you see it with your eyes on the side of the car. I have to adjust them each time I drive her car. Other than that the car is amazing. It even has adaptive two stage dampers for the suspension for touring and sport modes. Also steering and throttle changes with the mode.

DevilsReject97 01-22-2018 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PinHead (Post 10050189)
I've been driving for MULTIPLE DECADES, (yep I'm Old) and I have NEVER REAR-ENDED ANYONE WHILE DRIVING.

If you do rear-end someone you're not maintaining sufficient following distance.

Here's the more important reason why I WILL NEVER REPLY ON ANY SAFETY NANNIES.https://youtu.be/o9O-aejD0vI

tThey really need to improve Driver's Training in the U.S. and emphasize the P.Y.H.O.O.Y.A. Safety Techniques.

THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IF YOU CAN'T PAY ATTENTION AND DRIVE, YOU DONT BELONG BEHIND THE WHEEL!!!!!!!!

I'm all for things like backup sensors, backup cameras, anything that makes it easier to see in areas where it can be difficult. I don't even mind the blindspot annoyances on my mirrors..... but lane assist, brake assist, park assist, these are all babysitting tools for people who can't drive, who shouldn't drive, or worst case, are too busy doing other crap but driving...

Keep in mind, I do understand that there are a very select group of people who are disabled or have injuries that these types of things are beneficial to have. I am not including these individuals in my comment.

I also am not against these being available to a vehicle, as long as they can be disabled.

Strange Flavor 01-22-2018 08:22 AM

I was driving down the highway in a brand new Tahoe rental and it hit the brakes very aggressively for absolutely no reason. There was no one in front of us for as far as i could see so I have no clue why it did it. Not a fan of this feature.

4THGEN Z 01-22-2018 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DevilsReject97 (Post 10050774)
THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IF YOU CAN'T PAY ATTENTION AND DRIVE, YOU DONT BELONG BEHIND THE WHEEL!!!!!!!!

I'm all for things like backup sensors, backup cameras, anything that makes it easier to see in areas where it can be difficult. I don't even mind the blindspot annoyances on my mirrors..... but lane assist, brake assist, park assist, these are all babysitting tools for people who can't drive, who shouldn't drive, or worst case, are too busy doing other crap but driving...

Keep in mind, I do understand that there are a very select group of people who are disabled or have injuries that these types of things are beneficial to have. I am not including these individuals in my comment.

I also am not against these being available to a vehicle, as long as they can be disabled.

Agreed...another peeve of mine is when in these car commercials "showing off" their backup camera and cross traffic alert....why the h@ll are the drivers staring at the screen while backing out of the driveway and are "surprised" when the alert goes off when "out of nowhere" a kid is riding a bike or a car is driving behind them.....you gotta look around, not be staring at a tunnel vision backup camera. ugh...

gpskinzhut 01-22-2018 08:27 AM

No thanks.

dpevans 01-22-2018 08:42 AM

I prefer to let someone else be the guinea pig. let em get it worked out first.

Mr. Wyndham 01-22-2018 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DevilsReject97 (Post 10050774)

:word: X1,000,000

I don't particularly like having to pay for a feature that really does nothing but enable someone to not pay attention while driving.

That said, if it is mandated...please let me shut it off.

A lot of the ads for this automatic braking feature (especially a recent one of Toyota's) seems to make it look as though it's okay, and perfectly normal to not pay attention. How infuriating it is to see that, being someone to takes pride in learning to drive well, and pay attention! :mad0259: