CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=155)
-   -   Report: 6th Gen Coming as 2015 Camaro (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=160976)

PQ 07-26-2011 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fbodfather (Post 3526332)
I didn't read beyond the first post.............

Funny thing: I've never seen ANYONE from Automotive News in any product planning session..............................

not one person!

:bellyroll:

Good enough for me. LOL

But, wait...... couldn't they have heard from someone? :iono:

Grandeos 07-26-2011 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fbodfather (Post 3526332)
I didn't read beyond the first post.............

Funny thing: I've never seen ANYONE from Automotive News in any product planning session..............................

not one person!

:sm0: SEE ?!?!?!?

If you dont believe me, then please believe Scott. :laughabove:

When auto journalists dont have news to report, they make it up. PERIOD.

mikeSS 07-26-2011 10:40 PM

nice update, they said its going to be smaller and i am guessing its going to be lighter as well. 2015 is a long way away a lot could change by then. this is probably my last camaro i will buy for a while. probs going with M power performance next. but i will all ways be interested in what is going on with the camaros.

liberty 07-26-2011 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by garcmol (Post 3522548)
from nhtsa.gov

To me, NASCAR has broken this ground pounding out 700 hp race cars fueled with E85. I think this may be the answer to CAFE restrictions.

The answer to CAFE restrictions is to eliminate CAFE dictates, and the illegitimate federal bureaucracies that enforce CAFE, and other aspects of the auto industry, that nearly destroyed the industry (GM, bankrupt, Chrysler, bankrupt).

Mr. Wyndham 07-26-2011 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PQ (Post 3526336)
:bellyroll:

Good enough for me. LOL

But, wait...... couldn't they have heard from someone? :iono:

I love quoting myself! :D

"Those who talk don't know, because those who know...don't talk." :bellyroll:

I noticed when reading through that nifty little information snippet...that the part about Alpha read a lot like a pure assumption. As though their "sources" (see above) couldn't say more than "new version in 2014" and they extrapolated from there....Is it entirely out of the question to expect a less drastic change to the Camaro? I mean, it'd be barely 4 years old in 2014...a little early for a ground-up, brand-new model, imo.....especially after they just finished doing that exact same thing in 2009...:laugh:

Just my .02.

I love the rumormill. It's been a long time....:rolleyes:

OH...and before I forget...there's no evidence whatsoever to support the notion that the V8 will disappear. Get more expensive, used in less models? Sure. Although even that doesn't mean performance will suffer at all. But keep the faith that where there's a Camaro - there'll be a V8. :D

Mightygrasshopper 07-26-2011 10:52 PM

this is still 4 years away....too much time ahead to even speculate

mcdoogle6969 07-26-2011 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeSS (Post 3526447)
nice update, they said its going to be smaller and i am guessing its going to be lighter as well. 2015 is a long way away a lot could change by then. this is probably my last camaro i will buy for a while. probs going with M power performance next. but i will all ways be interested in what is going on with the camaros.

:word:

I'm looking at getting a white Yamaha R6 this year so I have another toy to play around with. Also looking at a 08 CTS-V down the road, this Camaro will be my last for awhile. Definitely my last BLACK car, ever.

Jason7 07-26-2011 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GNVenom (Post 3522700)
Offer me a turbocharged *anything* from corporate GM and I'm all over it.

But,

Make it at least a six cylinder engine. Turbo Camaro, AKA "SSX", do I see another Buick GN car-like creature?

Absolutely.

Hint to Corvette: You're gonna need a turbo....and don't forget, the very first Corvette was in fact a six cylinder.

The playing field was tilted when GM put the 3.8L turbocharged intercooled engine in the lineup...if you can remember, it was the fastest US production car in those years (86-87) and yep, even quicker than the treasured 'Vette.

Do it again GM - c'mon, do it again.

Couldnt agree with you more...... syclone caugh caugh typhoon? grand national....all done in the 80's imagine the precision of the times now and a knarly turbo app.

JASON

PQ 07-26-2011 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dragoneye (Post 3526487)
I love quoting myself! :D

"Those who talk don't know, because those who know...don't talk." :bellyroll:

I noticed when reading through that nifty little information snippet...that the part about Alpha read a lot like a pure assumption. As though their "sources" (see above) couldn't say more than "new version in 2014" and they extrapolated from there....Is it entirely out of the question to expect a less drastic change to the Camaro? I mean, it'd be barely 4 years old in 2014...a little early for a ground-up, brand-new model, imo.....especially after they just finished doing that exact same thing in 2009...:laugh:

Just my .02.

I love the rumormill. It's been a long time....:rolleyes:

OH...and before I forget...there's no evidence whatsoever to support the notion that the V8 will disappear. Get more expensive, used in less models? Sure. Although even that doesn't mean performance will suffer at all. But keep the faith that where there's a Camaro - there'll be a V8. :D

Yer so sensible. :laugh:

Sometimes 'common' makes the most sense............ :D Dude, no shit, I just made that up. :chevy: :chevy: :chevy:

Mr. Wyndham 07-26-2011 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PQ (Post 3526560)
Yer so sensible. :laugh:

Sometimes 'common' makes the most sense............ :D Dude, no shit, I just made that up. :chevy: :chevy: :chevy:

We should go into desk-calendar writing together. Make up quotes for each day...

NO, DUDE - Fortune Cookies!! :bellyroll:

PQ 07-26-2011 11:30 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dragoneye (Post 3526567)
We should go into desk-calendar writing together. Make up quotes for each day...

NO, DUDE - Fortune Cookies!! :bellyroll:

I'll call the printer and baker.

Attachment 269370

Attachment 269371

Z_Rocks 07-26-2011 11:31 PM

A smaller & lighter car, would also allow for smaller size engine and it all adds up to less cost, better price for the car. GM is working a new performance engine for the Vette and Camaro that will compete with European engines. And that will be in the 6th gen. A small V8, high revving Turbo... :-)

5thGenOwner 07-26-2011 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PQ (Post 3526661)
I'll call the printer and baker.

I'm totally playin those lotto numbers!!

doc7000 07-27-2011 12:26 AM

This is why auto journalist make up these list, they really have nothing to report right now and these things always gets them good attention.

Interesting that we are already back to the V-6 turbocharged rumor for the Corvette, and now people are spreading that to the Camaro and even funnier people are going with the unfounded rumor of a small turbo V-8 engine.

mikeSS 07-27-2011 12:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcdoogle6969 (Post 3526491)

I'm looking at getting a white Yamaha R6 this year so I have another toy to play around with. Also looking at a 08 CTS-V down the road, this Camaro will be my last for awhile. Definitely my last BLACK car, ever.

:word: i am going with a white car with black rims next !

doc7000 07-27-2011 01:46 AM

The Sonic we pretty much know everything about it so there is no actual prediction on the Sonic at all......

The current Malibu with the 2.4L DOHC VVT I-4 engine and 6 speed automatic returns 33MPG on the highway (has been tested as high as 39MPG).

So with the 2.5L directly injected unit and the 6 speed auto I don't expect fuel economy to drop 3MPG down to 30. I remember that it was projected to stay the same at 33MPG however I wouldn't be shocked if it picked up a MPG or two.

On the Corvette the V-6 turbo rumor has been going around for a long time now, in the 1980s there was actual work done on such an engine. Though currently these are just unfounded rumors which won't seem to die (much like the mid engine rumor). I am sure that whenever a new Corvette is in the planning stages they consider a great many things. From rear engine to a rotary engine....

Its possible that a I-4 engine may find its way under the Alpha Camaro (especially for European sales).

Would a 3,500 pound 280BHP 2.0L Turbo 4 be a bad thing?

Though I expect the V-6 may still be in it or even a turbo 6 as a option and the V-8 isn't going anywhere.

Scarrzz 07-27-2011 01:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tysen (Post 3522547)
All the more reason for me to get a ZL1. If Corvette is going to a V6, I'm pretty sure the Camaro will get the same treatment.

I think there's close to zero chance they will save enough weight with the platform change or in any way create a six cylinder camaro, twin turbo or not, to even come close to challenging the ZL1.

Get 'em while they're hot, guys.

detroitjohnny 07-27-2011 09:22 AM

:sm0:man, I get a kick out of this stuff. You have people that are speculating based on automotive journalism, and people in the industry de-bunking it.

And still people want to fly with the journalism crowd. Fun!! :happyanim:

As far as a TT Corvette, Lutz keeps throwing that out there in industry publication interviews. Of course, he's talking 10 - 15 years away. But hey, people run with it anyway.

doc7000 07-27-2011 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Z284ever (Post 3527580)
It's not only possible, it's a done deal. And no, it won't be a bad thing for various reasons. First and foremost, it will help CAFE protect the availability of V8s in the Camaro. Beyond that, I see a turbo 4 in a smaller Camaro creating broader appeal for the car.

even without the higher CAFE standard I could have seen them making this move anyways in the Camaro.

KMPrenger 07-27-2011 10:30 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Of course its all speculation, but thats the fun part. I don't know crap about what is going to happen, but I'm going to comment anyway!

Although I do agree that sitting on the current design/engine/chassis for another 10+ years is just too long, we all know that isn't going to happen. There will be various changes throughout, like how Ford changed up the styling on their 2010 Mustangs. We can see this happening already, with the 2012 interior, and revised suspension on the 2012 SS Camaro's, but eventually (in my opinion, around the 2013 to 2015 model years) there will need to be some refreshing done to the styling to hold interest...again I refer to the 2010 Mustang. In my head, I see something like the small picture I've attached to this post. It is not a huge change (revised fascia, and air inlets on the sides), but enough for someone to know it is new! Actually, I'm sure that is a pre-production concept photo, but Ford did the same eventually including some of the 05 mustang concept designs in its GT500 that were skipped initially upon the regular 05's release.

The one thing that may move it all forward is what Ford does with its Mustang for 2014/2015 when they move to a brand new generation. There are "reports" that it could be as light or lighter than the current car. If it is, and its attractive looking, Camaro will need to move to keep up.

Everyone is hoping for a nice weight reduction when the Alpha platform finally comes out. But will that actually happen? Now I hear that since that platform may be used for larger cars/engines than originally thought, it too has gained weight and may not be much if any lighter than the current platform....but who really knows besides the true insiders.

Anyways, with all that said, I think it is safe to say GM is aware of all this and if they are truely "in it to win" as they say, they won't be sitting still anytime soon.

Xello 07-27-2011 10:50 AM

Speculation is fun for its entertainment value. It's like sci-fi which can be totally incomprehensible but at the same time based on a bit of reality.

I see the future Camaro, not 6th Gen, as an electric hybrid with self-driving capabilities. :facepalm: Maybe it will be time to retire the model at that point. :cry:

Cam#7 07-27-2011 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Z284ever (Post 3528367)
I suspect that some of this debunkery is rooted in the fear that enthusiasts will get excited about a Camaro which is not the current for sale one. Just a thought...

Well if you cannot plan an updated website or build site with the 2012 model in production.......... How can you plan for a Gen6 or a Z28 ???????