CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=155)
-   -   The Z28 what could have been.... (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=299256)

GunnyG 06-02-2013 10:34 AM

3rd Gen Z/28 is why I have my Camaro today. One of my friends' older brother had a chocolate brown IROC, w/nitrous...man that car was sweet. Tragically he died racing it. I have still been fond of the Z's since I was a kid.

Bad@ssCamaro 06-02-2013 10:37 AM

I don't think we'll ever see a Targa top for the Camaro, it's never been part of what makes it a Camaro. I know the OP wants to experience those Z28 days again, but if history repeats itself, I'm sure we will see one again from the Camaro Team, just have to wait a few years.

FINALLYSATISFIED 06-02-2013 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OUTATIME (Post 6618677)
Doesn't the corvette have a removable roof? If so, why can't there be T-Tops?

My point exactly.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bad@ssCamaro (Post 6618722)
I don't think we'll ever see a Targa top for the Camaro, it's never been part of what makes it a Camaro. I know the OP wants to experience those Z28 days again, but if history repeats itself, I'm sure we will see one again from the Camaro Team, just have to wait a few years.

I'll wait!

motorhead 06-02-2013 10:54 AM

I'm certainly clad that GM didn't go the 4th gen route with the Z/28. That would have been a huge failure. Remember that's the very car that put the camaro on the side lines for years. That should tell you something right there.

Bhobbs 06-02-2013 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FINALLYSATISFIED (Post 6618394)
Never knew GM produced knock offs, lol. A Z28 is simply a daily driven machine. And I know we have a ZL1, but a Z28 would need to be NA.

No, a Z28 is a way to make money of the Z/28 heritage without building a Z/28.

The Z28 badge has been replaced by the SS badge for the 5th gen.

omgitsmikeyC 06-02-2013 02:16 PM

The convertible Camaro has structural bracing to make it as close to the rigity of the standard Coupe, so they could easily do it for T-Tops. Now if the NHTSA says they are too unsafe, that is a different story. Z-28's were originally low optioned light weight track cars that had better balance than the Heavier engined SS cars. They were more auto-cross style cars, the RS being a modification from that as the off-road rally type. Personally I love what they have done with the Z-28, but they should have put the LT-1 in it. Coming from the factory without a radio and things like that do not appeal to people the same way as they did in the 60's because you pay more for less now with that car.

2cnd chance 06-02-2013 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FINALLYSATISFIED (Post 6618394)
A Z28 is simply a daily driven machine. And I know we have a ZL1, but a Z28 would need to be NA.

Sounds a lot like a 1LE. :thumbsup:

2cnd chance 06-02-2013 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by omgitsmikeyC (Post 6619416)
The convertible Camaro has structural bracing to make it as close to the rigity of the standard Coupe, so they could easily do it for T-Tops. Now if the NHTSA says they are too unsafe, that is a different story. Z-28's were originally low optioned light weight track cars that had better balance than the Heavier engined SS cars. They were more auto-cross style cars, the RS being a modification from that as the off-road rally type. Personally I love what they have done with the Z-28, but they should have put the LT-1 in it. Coming from the factory without a radio and things like that do not appeal to people the same way as they did in the 60's because you pay more for less now with that car.

Where does one begin??? :iono:

29er 06-02-2013 04:45 PM

at least the paint matches! --on different body panels--instead of all the c5's.....

speaking of the front facia and hood/fenders, not one ,i see paint is matching.

Bhobbs 06-02-2013 10:12 PM

I do have to say the LS1 4th gen is one of my favorite Camaros.

PeeBee 06-03-2013 05:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OUTATIME (Post 6618677)
Doesn't the corvette have a removable roof? If so, why can't there be T-Tops?

Probably because the Z/28 is to be a track day special, and rules have changed a bit.

I know for a fact that most coupes are not allowed to have i.e. a sunroof if you want to go racing with them...

Putting a T-top on a "closed track car" would entirely beat the purpose of said car and rule it out for any potential race series...

PeeBee 06-03-2013 05:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by omgitsmikeyC (Post 6619416)
you pay more for less now with that car.

Sometimes less IS more...

And beside, you get more cubic inches :)

Aldrich Z06 06-03-2013 09:41 AM

The first Z28 I ever saw was a new 68 red with black stripes my friend bought back in 68. To me that's the real Z28.
No sunroof and targa tops for me. I've had four vettes with the targa tops and all it is for is to catch wind and make noise. But everyones different and likes differents things. On the new Camaro the sunroof takes away from the contour of the roof I think.

lbls1 06-03-2013 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FINALLYSATISFIED (Post 6617910)
Now that the lengendary Z/28 will be released, how about those whom were born in a era when they knew a Z28? A T-top 6 Gen Z28? Not I take anything away from the Z/28 or ZL1 but it could be done...I wished the Z28 returned however, but GM did a switcheroo and went back to the heritage of the Z/28.

I ended up driving in a neighborhood where my cousin lives and spotted this t-top Z28 and just made me think, damn that looks sexy.

Believe me I know them all too well!