CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=155)
-   -   6th Gen Camaro once again rumored with 2.0L turbo 4 cylinder variant (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=263881)

FenwickHockey65 12-03-2012 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Z/28orSs (Post 5873782)
if it looks anything like the ATS then the next gen Camaro has little hope...:barf:

ATS's design has gotten nothing but praise from most of the automotive community. Just sayin'.

PYROLYSIS 12-03-2012 09:45 AM

I'm fine with having a turbo 4 cylinder I just want a NA V-6 available as well and I don't want it to cost what an SS costs now. They will do fine with the body style. I love every generation they've made so far.

SSOOCH 12-03-2012 10:23 AM

Forward thinking People. There are some impressive high powered 4cyl engines out there. It's the future. Embrace it!

You gotta admit how silly a big H2 looks driving down the road now. I half expect to see a caveman driving it!

woodside783 12-03-2012 10:24 AM

We will see how the new vet motor dose

daveagogo1 12-03-2012 10:38 AM

Sign me up for the TT V8 please.

Iam Broke 12-03-2012 10:40 AM

Sold a bolted 2.0 Cobalt SS LNF two summers ago. It was 360 whp/400 wtq and ran 60-100 mph in 4.6 sec. About 1.2 sec faster than this SS. It weighed 3k lbs though, not 3800.

Hard to launch & get traction on wrong wheel drive.

I think a turbo DI 6 would be ok in the Camaro. Should be 400 hp easily.

DarkneSS 12-03-2012 10:41 AM

This really worries me. The problem with the current V6 is weight, not power. 300 HP is great for the money. If the V6 lost about 300 pounds it would be a 13 second car out of the box without any power increase.

The ATS platform was a great sign that the V6 car would get that desired 300 pound diet. The ATS is what? 3400 pounds? And it is a Caddy so it is possible a V6 Camaro on the ATS platform could be as low as 3300 pounds.

A 400 pound diet definitely gets our V6 into 13s with no other mods!

BUT a turbo 4 cylinder, stock at least, is not going to be pushing out 300 hP. What will it make? 250-270?

We will get our diet, but also lose power. Making the 6th gen Ls/lt cars just as fast as the current 6.

And sure you can up the boost but how much boost do you think the engine will take?

And a boosted 3300 pound V6 LLT will be much faster than a boosted 3300 pound 4 banger.

All I'm saying is, I hope they keep the LLT in the line up AND offer this engine! If all we can get is the 4 cylinder, it will be a disappointment!

HDRDTD 12-03-2012 10:42 AM

right from the gmauthority web site...

It’s been the ongoing story around the collective automotive blogosphere that the next-generation Chevrolet Camaro will be both smaller and lighter, thanks to the vehicle’s adaptation to GM’s Alpha platform over the more rigid and heavier Zeta architecture it currently rides on. The downsizing will also reflect what’s going to happen in the engine bay, as sources have confirmed with us that a 2.0L turbocharged four cylinder engine will be found in the sixth-generation Camaro, which is still a few years out from launching.
The engine choice doesn’t surprise us, as the next Camaro shapes itself to be a more global performance car and has to adhere to countries that mandate displacement, and even CAFE fuel economy regulations here in the United States. It may be a one-size-fits-all approach, but it in no way means that there will not be a 300-something horsepower V6 or next-generation small block V8 in the lineup, either. And since the next Camaro will be smaller and lighter, it should still make for a fun drive no matter how many cylinders are under its hood.

MikeSVX 12-03-2012 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Juiced1 (Post 5873744)
It failed miserably when Ford tried it with the Mustang back in the day. But if that's just a base engine and the LT1 Vette motor is still an option for the SS all should be fine. Especially, with that new light weight rumored about from the ATS Zeta platform. That new ATS rips pretty nicely for a base model Caddy. Dump in the LT1 motor and you have a low 12 high 11 second SS that should handle like it was on rails.

I wouldn't say it failed in the Mustang. It was a good option at the time. The SVO turbo-4 in the 80's was actually faster then the GT's of the same year. Although, the V-8 where so restricted they were down in the 100hp range.

Hylton 12-03-2012 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeSVX (Post 5874001)
I wouldn't say it failed in the Mustang. It was a good option at the time. The SVO turbo-4 in the 80's was actually faster then the GT's of the same year. Although, the V-8 where so restricted they were down in the 100hp range.

I agree - the 4 banger Mustang sold well back in the early 80's even though you could have made the car go faster by pushing it. GM's 2.0T is a great powerplant and I fully expect the 6th gen 4 banger to be superior in performance and gas mileage than the current 5th gen LT.

.....and of course the 6th gen will have an 8 available.

camarolt76 12-03-2012 11:19 AM

I think it would be a good thing for GM to offer the 4 liter turbo charged 2.0 engine in addition to the V6 and V8.:thumbsup::chevy: Variety is what makes the world go round, but for me you can't get the V8 sound with a V6 or 4 cylinder engine.:w00t:

trewyn15 12-03-2012 11:21 AM

GM better not ruin the next model Camaro... IMO it shouldn't even have a V6 lol

So a I4 would be absolutely horrible.

v6sonoma 12-03-2012 11:22 AM

Not concerned with this at all. It's the right move. A turbo 4 isn't a bad thing at all. I have been to dyno events where properly tweaked Solstices and sky's put out almost as much HP to the wheels as a stock 5th gen SS and with little modifying.

They will still offer V8's for those like me who wouldn't have it any other way and I suspect they might even offer a V6 at least for the first year to test the waters. I believe that after they see where the take rates go the V6 will fade or they will turbo that and push the V8 up into "ZL1" price brackets only. Of course it all depends on what sells and who's willing to pay for it. $$$ will decide as people make the choices for GM with their wallets.

At any rate I suspect we'll end up with a 6th gen Camaro that most of us will love, some will hate, and others will love but complain about them not doing ____X____. :chevy:

ShnOmac 12-03-2012 11:28 AM

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-jME95yG1z9...ky-Falling.jpg