CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=155)
-   -   GM Needs to Step Up the Quality on 6th Gen (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=301548)

Michael2000 06-12-2013 04:41 PM

GM Needs to Step Up the Quality on 6th Gen

The types of quality issues I am hearing about on 5th Gen cars reminds me of cars built in the 60's and 70's.

Hood wrap missing from 1LE (how does that happen?)

Three of one size tire, and fourth tire of different size (the people at the plant must be high)

Trunk lids partially painted inside

Wheels poorly painted, and no paint on inside of wheel

Big gaps between door and dash on one side

Gaps between bumper and headlights different side to side

Uneven metallic paint

Thin paint

Specs and dirt in paint

Front valence sticking out from fender

Clutch chatter

Driveline slop

Missing fasteners

Misaligned panels resulting in interference fit, and paint worn away

Once everyone gets tired of this garbage assembly, they will move on to other makes of cars. People will only put up with this for so long. This isn't 1969. People have options. Get your act together or go bankrupt again.

Michael

willhe64 06-12-2013 04:43 PM

Name one manufacturer who puts every car perfect off the line?

Not even Ferrari.

blufin 06-12-2013 04:53 PM

Seems like you took random issues of many different cars and crammed them into one thread. EVERY manufacturer has issues with their cars. That's part of why there are warranty's. If there is something wrong, take it back and have it fixed for free.
Do you even own a Camaro?
I'm starting to suspect a troll.

cbass 06-12-2013 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by willhe64 (Post 6662341)
Name one manufacturer who puts every car perfect off the line?

Not even Ferrari.

There is not perfect and then there is this. Some of these quality problems listed are unacceptable.

1 wheel a different size. Really?

Does not make you feel all that great with the recent quality hold.

toesuf94 06-12-2013 04:56 PM

On my 2011 I have found 1 speck in the paint. Very even paint with good match from nose to fender as well as bumper to rear fender. Interior panels match up very well and everything has worked flawlessly since I picked it up. So, my car must be a good one.

Out of close to 300,000 cars to have that short of list is pretty danged good in my world. These are still man made machines.

blufin 06-12-2013 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbass (Post 6662394)
There is not perfect and then there is this. Some of these quality problems listed are unacceptable.

1 wheel a different size. Really?

Does not make you feel all that great with the recent quality hold.

Tire, not wheel.

Russo 06-12-2013 05:01 PM

OP is TROLLIN!

FINALLYSATISFIED 06-12-2013 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russo (Post 6662418)
OP is TROLLIN!

Doesn't even own a Camaro, so I'd agree. :dnftt:

SoCalThug 06-12-2013 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blufin (Post 6662379)
Seems like you took random issues of many different cars and crammed them into one thread.

+1. He obviously spends lots of time on this site wishing he had a camaro.

LuSe4 06-12-2013 05:53 PM

Every mass produced car can have these problems. This is normal stuff.
On a related note, trolls need to step up the quality of there trolling posts. They are getting old.

Bad@ssCamaro 06-12-2013 06:06 PM

Get a Camaro first :mad: you mustang troller :thumbdown:

TexasChile 06-12-2013 06:12 PM

I agree with the original post. I am researching the Camaro to possible buy a new one after owning nothing but Japanese cars for a long time, and I do not like all the problems that I have seen on GM cars, including the Camaro. No car is perfect, but I did stop buying American cars for a very good reasons a long time ago. What he says has a lot of truth to it. I think a lot of people here don't want to admit that.

The Stig 06-12-2013 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael2000 (Post 6662336)
The types of quality issues I am hearing about on 5th Gen cars reminds me of cars built in the 60's and 70's.

there has been ONE incident of this - and we don't even have the full story yet
Three of one size tire, and fourth tire of different size (the people at the plant must be high)
ummm...have never heard of this issue (and I'm on here a LOT) you sure this is a camaro issue?

not an issue for the camaro

OK - this one I'll give you. The wheel paint could be better, but it would also increase cost(s) to powder coat them

again, not a camaro issue

not a camaro issue

Uneven metallic paint
There was a TSB released in 2010 regarding this issue. Reason is because of the different materials (metal vs. polyurethane plastic)

Thin paint
valid point - our clear coats could be better

Specs and dirt in paint
very few occurrences of this, and in all instances GM has stepped up and fixed it

There is a TSB issued for this, it's a very simple fix. Oh and considering that all front splitters are installed by your dealer, not a Chevrolet issue

Clutch chatter
TSB was issued about this. Easy fix.

Driveline slop

Missing fasteners
You'll have to be more specific, there are a lot of fasteners in our cars.

Are you talking about the spoiler paint chipping? Easy fix, and there was a TSB issued

Once everyone gets tired of this garbage assembly, they will move on to other makes of cars. People will only put up with this for so long. This isn't 1969. People have options. Get your act together or go bankrupt again.

Michael

Comments are in red. Again - I think you're talking about multiple car manufacturers.

Angrybird 12 06-12-2013 06:24 PM

I have none of those issues. Also had none of them on my 2010...:noidea:

LuSe4 06-12-2013 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TexasChile (Post 6662756)
I agree with the original post. I am researching the Camaro to possible buy a new one after owning nothing but Japanese cars for a long time, and I do not like all the problems that I have seen on GM cars, including the Camaro. No car is perfect, but I did stop buying American cars for a very good reasons a long time ago. What he says has a lot of truth to it. I think a lot of people here don't want to admit that.

Lol! Why are you even here?

And I have had foreign cars. They aren't any better so don't kid yourself.

motorhead 06-12-2013 06:39 PM

As far as I'm concerned the quality has gotten better since 2010. I haven't had any problems with my ZL1 and although I don't drive it much, when I do I'm not easy on it.

102SS 06-12-2013 06:41 PM

I know people that work at Oshawa and at the engine plant in St Catharines and can tell you they are good people who take great pride in their work.

There is way to many checks to have some of the things you posted slip through.

Trust me the 6th gen car will take world class build quality to surpass the 5th gens.

Angrybird 12 06-12-2013 06:42 PM

Read some of the OP's other posts......:crazy:

Number 3 06-12-2013 06:48 PM

Ok, my first thought is simply the OP hasn't even come back to have a discussion on his post. Just laid a stinky poopy and ran.

If you took every one off issue an made a list it would be pretty long.

For the most part the Camaro has done ok in CR and JD Power. CR has essentially complained about the obvious (no rear seat room LOL)

cbass 06-12-2013 07:13 PM

Quote:

Ya....I owned Japanese cars too and they have more than their fair share of problems and the build quality from day 1 on them is much more flimsy than american cars especially the camaro.

SIN R G 06-12-2013 07:48 PM

Quote:

Don't feed this second Troll who is probably a cousin of the first Troll.

:dnftt:

Michael2000 06-12-2013 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 (Post 6662911)
Read some of the OP's other posts......:crazy:

People like you are the reason GM won't improve the build quality. You are not objective, asd will accept anything they shovel out the door as long as it has a big engine.:crazy:

Michael

Angrybird 12 06-12-2013 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael2000 (Post 6663795)
People like you are the reason GM won't improve the build quality. You are not objective, asd will accept anything they shovel out the door as long as it has a big engine.:crazy:

Michael

And you think your an expert? At least I have owned Two 5th gen Camaros, how many have you owned?
Yep mine have had big engines that's the only reason I bought them:facepalm:

Bizlipkick 06-12-2013 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 (Post 6663823)
And you think your an expert? At least I have owned Two 5th gen Camaros, how many have you owned?
Yep mine have had big engines that's the only reason I bought them:facepalm:

Haha. I have owned numerous Japanese cars, mostly honda's (2 s2000's, rsx type S, civic)- They ALL have problems. Just a troll though

Michael2000 06-12-2013 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Stig (Post 6662791)

Originally Posted by Michael2000 http://www.camaro5.com/forums/v6/buttons/viewpost.gif

there has been ONE incident of this - and we don't even have the full story yet

"Well, this is a first. Our IOM 1LE arrived today without the hood wrap. How does that happen? Can't believe they let this one slip through this way.

Not sure if we're gonna leave it this way or not. I guess we'll leave it up the customer. "

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=301119

ummm...have never heard of this issue (and I'm on here a LOT) you sure this is a camaro issue?

"WTF GM!?! MINE came with 3 285's and a right rear 305 (ZL1) "

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/newrep...eply&p=6662791

not an issue for the Camaro

OK - this one I'll give you. The wheel paint could be better, but it would also increase cost(s) to powder coat them

again, not a camaro issue

"My drivers side of the dashboard at the top where it meets with the door panel is off. Any one else have any fitment issues with interior parts? Would something like this be covered under factory warranty?"

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=164676

not a camaro issue

"Quality Control is lacking at GM. On my car, the drivers side headlight is 1.5 inches from the bumper cover and the passenger side headlight is .25 inches from the bumper cover. The rear right bumper cover is not popped in all the way. I brought it back to the dealership and left it with them to fix these issues. When I picked it back up they said that they fixed the front bumper but they could not fix the rear. I am not sure what they did because the issues are still there. I don't want to take anything loose and potentially break a tab because then they will blame it on me. "

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...=301119&page=2

Uneven metallic paint
There was a TSB released in 2010 regarding this issue. Reason is because of the different materials (metal vs. polyurethane plastic)

"Even Ray Charles could see it doesn't match."

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2324363

Thin paint
valid point - our clear coats could be better

"After buying my SS, I loved it. I really thought I would keep it forever, then I arrived home. From the dealer to my house, I chipped the paint on the fender from a rock. After making a trip, my car looks like the front has been sand blasted. The paint quality on this car is so bad, Chevy admits there is only one coat of paint, and a coat of clear. You look at it wrong, and it scratches. I garage it, and come out going "Where did this come from?" I never drive it!!!!!"

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...light=dash+gap

Specs and dirt in paint
very few occurrences of this, and in all instances GM has stepped up and fixed it

"Question on fixing dirt specs in OE paint. I've got a fresh built 2 week old IBM SS. There is a couple dirt specs here and there in the paint. A couple that are pretty noticeable are in the rear quarter panel. Pretty small, have to be at the right light/angle to notice."

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=201046

There is a TSB issued for this, it's a very simple fix. Oh and considering that all front splitters are installed by your dealer, not a Chevrolet issue

"Any of you 1LE owners having problems with the fitiment of your splitter on the sides right before the wheel well opening? Like not fiting flush against the bumper the last two/three inches or so. I installed mine and it was ok, then after about a week or so it has pulled away further. I've seen some pics of actual 1LE's on here and some seem to have the same issue."

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=272918

Clutch chatter

Driveline slop

Missing fasteners
You'll have to be more specific, there are a lot of fasteners in our cars.

Are you talking about the spoiler paint chipping? Easy fix, and there was a TSB issued

Michael

Comments are in red. Again - I think you're talking about multiple car manufacturers.

Stig, thanks for the response. I have commented to some of these with quotes in green from others, and the links. I need to leave, so will finish later.

Michael

KMPrenger 06-12-2013 10:20 PM

Absolutely ridiculous thread.

Just lock and delete it already...totally useless.

Michael2000 06-12-2013 10:24 PM

So for everyone who has the word "troll" in their post, what you are saying is GM should do nothing about improving quality, while the rest of the manufacturers continue to improve their quality.

Oh, that's brilliant.:crazy:

That's a great way to see the Camaro discontinued again.

Michael

Michael2000 06-12-2013 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KMPrenger (Post 6664036)
Absolutely ridiculous thread.

Just lock and delete it already...totally useless.

Yet you took the time to comment.

skuttduck 06-12-2013 10:47 PM

The Cadillac's are built at the current plant that will build the new Camaro.

Look at some of these and see if the same problems exist.

http://media.gm.com/content/media/us...embly/lgr.html
http://www.lansingstatejournal.com/a...nd-River-plant

camaro2lt 06-12-2013 11:07 PM

only problem i had with my car was the paint issue with the spoiler.....you could not see the chipping at all so i did not even bring it to the dealer

Michael2000 06-12-2013 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skuttduck (Post 6664153)
The Cadillac's are built at the current plant that will build the new Camaro.

Look at some of these and see if the same problems exist.

http://media.gm.com/content/media/us...embly/lgr.html
http://www.lansingstatejournal.com/a...nd-River-plant

I'm glad to hear it will be built in a more modern plant. That's got to help with some of these issues, especially paint.

Thanks!:thumb:

Michael

2ss-booya 06-13-2013 01:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael2000 (Post 6664341)
I'm glad to hear it will be built in a more modern plant. That's got to help with some of these issues, especially paint.

Thanks!:thumb:

Michael

The problem I have with the comments you made in regards to The Stig's is that all of your evidence is basically he/she said. There's no proof to what you have posted other than thread posts with no pictures, except the RJT paint.

The mismatched wheel? No pictures, and only one post, no thread in regards to it.

The misaligned panels?...no pictures, no resolution stated.

The mismatched paint for the RJT 2010? I had that color in that year, it does match under exact lighting and alignment conditions. It's a metallic paint, it shouldn't take a degree in physics to understand that light bends and reflects different colors and brightness depending on the surface.

What I'm getting at is what are you trying to accomplish? Are you REALLY trying to help improve the quality of the cars that GM produces? Or just bash the cars because you've got a grudge against someone/something?

And, what car do you drive anyway?

t&t moyer 06-13-2013 02:16 AM

This is my second Gen 5 Camaro. Is it perfect, nope not even close. Is the quality up to snuff to where "I" think it should be? Mmmmm I suppose, for the money it's probably about right. Are things to nit-pick, ah yes. Mis-aligned panels/bumper covers and such do exist, mine had a couple needed sorted and it wasn't a big deal. I can't believe Stig didn't know about the wrong size tire issue with SUKXOSTs 1LE. It's a big forum and lots of people posting issues and complaints. It's bound to happen.

I'm not a troll feeder, just a realist. I'm not bitching or complaining either that's for sure. I'm pretty happy with our previous 12' SS and our current 13' 1LE. There's always room for improvement but in the mean-time keep up the good work GM.

URBAN LEGEND 06-13-2013 03:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoCalThug (Post 6662582)
+1. He obviously spends lots of time on this site wishing he had a camaro.

Lol.

LuSe4 06-13-2013 05:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael2000 (Post 6664053)
So for everyone who has the word "troll" in their post, what you are saying is GM should do nothing about improving quality, while the rest of the manufacturers continue to improve their quality.

Michael

What you are not understanding is that GM is on par with every other high volume, mass produced vehicle. No one is saying that they don't want the quality to improve.

please proceed with the trolling.

Wizard1183 06-13-2013 06:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael2000 (Post 6662336)

Uneven metallic paint

Thin paint

Specs and dirt in paint

Clutch chatter

Driveline slop

Missing fasteners

Michael

Nope, in 1969, you had OPTIONS. :smiling1:

The Stig 06-13-2013 06:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael2000 (Post 6663989)
Stig, thanks for the response. I have commented to some of these with quotes in green from others, and the links. I need to leave, so will finish later.

Michael

Again though. On most of these (the missing hood wrap for example) you've found ONE occurrence, out of the tens of thousands of camaros produced.
And again, the splitter isn't GM's fault. It's the dealers.

edit: also, some of your links don't go to an actual post. When I click them it goes to the reply page with my text in quotes.

Angrybird 12 06-13-2013 07:20 AM

Quote:

Michael

You are very good at listing things you perceive as issues with the 5th gen Camaro, yet you don't own one and have never lived with one for an extended time. Anyone can go to any forum about any car and pick out issues people have had with those cars then list them in a thread and say they need to improve quality.
Exactly how much personal experience do you have with a 5th Gen Camaro?
Again over the last 3 1/2 years I have owned two 5th gen Camaros and through my own personal experience I can tell you the quality of my two cars have been excellent. I don't think I have just been lucky and gotten the only two good ones they made.
By the way you tried to put me down earlier saying I would buy anything they shoved out the door if it had a big engine, both of mine have been V6's... You sir know nothing about me or the cars you want to bash.

solo40oz 06-13-2013 07:49 AM

Quote:

Michael

I think what you need to consider is that you just described is likely less than 100 instances of a problem On a vehicle with over 300,000 units produced. That is .03%. GM is doing just fine.

LuSe4 06-13-2013 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by solo40oz (Post 6664967)
I think what you need to consider is that you just described is likely less than 100 instances of a problem On a vehicle with over 300,000 units produced. That is .03%. GM is doing just fine.

:thumbsup: